Model 70 action

Win M70's are my favorite action to build off of. Great factory triggers and simple, simple actions with less working parts in the whole thing than a savage bolt. I also like the 3 position safety and bolt release on them. You should be able to find an action in the $300-$400 range.

You will need a magnum action if that is your intended purpose.

Jon

My 6mm-06 built on a classic push feed.
IMAG0045.jpg

.223AI on a M70 push feed
IMAG0033.jpg

Nice Looking rigs. Who fluted the bolts for you. I have a Model 70 Coyote in 270wsm and was thinking about fluting the bolt but Kampfeld's website says there only doing Remingtons for now?

I've started my 338 Edge on a M70 Classic Stainless 375 H&H action. Originally it was to be a 338 Lapua, but alas, the bolt face cut out wouldn't be safe--it needed enlarging to at least the rim size--.588 of the Lapua. The Edge, being spawned from the 300 RUM and thus grandfathered from the 404 Jeffery, has a rebated rim like the 284 Winchester. At .534 the bolt face is OK as is.

M70's have owned me since the mid fifties; I just have to have that coned breech, claw extractor, and mechanical ejection. Its never let me down. But this year I was reminded of a drawback of the M70--and its brothers and sisters--from Peter Paul Mauser. That of the fact that it doesn't work very well as a single shot; the bolt needs to physically grab the cartridge to close it in the chamber. It was my fault because I "doubled" the bolt cycle; my mind was preoccupied with the moose I just shot and was moving rapidly attempting to get a finisher in while he was in an advantageous position for packing out. In the end I managed to get the extractor over the chambered round, extract it and examine, and re-chamber and finish the bull off. Again, my fault. So the truth is my "masters have been benevolent..." I digress; the best to you and your build.

And now for the "other shoe." I think it was you who told me how to initiate a thread/post just a week ago. **** if I can't remember how I started that Mill-dot or not--would you mind running me through that again?

Looking for a dependable laser rangefinder and it looks like it will be one of these: Vectronix PLRF 10 (OR 15), Pulse 360, or the G7 BR2. I'd like to get opinions, preferably based on experience, on these units. Hence the new thread. Thanks
Thanks.

Just look at the topic list and go to the very top and click on where it says "New Thread", click on that enter the subject in the Title line, then start typing in the box down here just like you were replying to a post.

Sharp lookers--is that Ceracoat on the tan M70? How's that hold up? I had a moly coat put on a SS M70 in '94 and last summer I cleaned it off as it was looking ratty. All of my guns are meat seekers and so they tend to get soiled, scratched, and soaked pretty regular. The one exception is the wife's pre-war. Here's three M70s.

Attachments

• G15964~1.JPG
    G15964~1.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 53
  • G44935~1.JPG
    G44935~1.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 51499 b.JPG
    51499 b.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 69
Nice Looking rigs. Who fluted the bolts for you. I have a Model 70 Coyote in 270wsm and was thinking about fluting the bolt but Kampfeld's website says there only doing Remingtons for now?

Thanks!

Kevin Weaver is my smith. The standard bolt fluting he can do, he does send some stuff to Kampfelds.

Jon

Sharp lookers--is that Ceracoat on the tan M70? How's that hold up? I had a moly coat put on a SS M70 in '94 and last summer I cleaned it off as it was looking ratty. All of my guns are meat seekers and so they tend to get soiled, scratched, and soaked pretty regular. The one exception is the wife's pre-war. Here's three M70s.

Nice rigs. The ceracoat is some tough stuff, if it's applied right and they use the baked on ceracoat vs the air dry.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.