• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Midsouth #34 7.62 Mil Spec large rifle primers

Only "magnum" I have been able to find since I started cartridges that called for magnum. They certainly have gone up in price considerably since I started using them for 7.62's

Cci 34 is considered a magnum primer by many and has done a fine job for me igniting the loads I use it for. I have nothing in writing from cci concerning it being a magnum but multiple sources list it as having magnum primer mixture. I do believe I will email them soon and find out from the manufacturer if this is true. Please also notice my use of the word magnum above was in quotes.

Ok , I understand you are using it on magnum loads and believe it works for you.

Let is know what CCI says.

i have interchanged the 34 with the 250 and had no significant difference in velocity or sd. also did the same with the 41 and 450.
will be interesting to see CCI response.

Cci 34 is considered a magnum primer by many and has done a fine job for me igniting the loads I use it for. I have nothing in writing from cci concerning it being a magnum but multiple sources list it as having magnum primer mixture. I do believe I will email them soon and find out from the manufacturer if this is true. Please also notice my use of the word magnum above was in quotes.

They are considered magnum, and here is one old CCI ad I found concerning the #34:

"CCI 7.62mm NATO-Spec Military Primers are a military large rifle primer containing magnum priming mix. The CCI #34 primers are a great choice for reloaders that use military cartridges."

Given mil ammo is used in a variety of climates, including extreme cold, the NATO spec required what we consider as a magnum mix.

Last edited:
They are considered magnum, and here is one old CCI ad I found concerning the #34:

"CCI 7.62mm NATO-Spec Military Primers are a military large rifle primer containing magnum priming mix. The CCI #34 primers are a great choice for reloaders that use military cartridges."

Given mil ammo is used in a variety of climates, including extreme cold, the NATO spec required what we consider as a magnum mix.
This is similar to what I have seen before as well.
It was my understanding that with the use of many all powders in nato an military cartridges in general that the cold ignition properties were the reasoning for magnum priming mix.

Hot of the email wire as I typed this up!

They state that the 34 has a slightly hotter mix than the 200 but are not interchangeable with the 250.
I tried to copy and paste the email but it keeps giving all the computer code mixed in with the text.

ETA the email now that I was able to get it to copy and paste

"Subject: TechnicalServices/CCI

Question:

I am writing to find out of the internet rumors are correct about the cci no 34 primer being "equivalent" to the 250 magnum primer are true? In other words are they interchangeable as a magnum primer with proper load work up as per standard procedure when developing a new load

These specs are listed below.

CCI 200 is a standard large rifle primer with a standard cup thickness.

CCI BR2 are a standard ignition rate with a thicker primer cup and are held to the tightest tolerances possible.

CCI #34 have a thicker cup with an anvil angle change to reduce the possibility of slam fires and also have a slightly hotter mix than a CCI 200 to aid in best ignition of ball powders that would be used in mil spec applications.

CCI 250 are our hottest primer with a thick cup that are designed for magnum cartridge applications.

CCI 250 and #34 are not interchangeable.

Thanks,

Cody B./Technical Service Rep.

CCI/Speer/Alliant"

This is similar to what I have seen before as well.
It was my understanding that with the use of many all powders in nato an military cartridges in general that the cold ignition properties were the reasoning for magnum priming mix.

Hot of the email wire as I typed this up!

They state that the 34 has a slightly hotter mix than the 200 but are not interchangeable with the 250.
I tried to copy and paste the email but it keeps giving all the computer code mixed in with the text.

ETA the email now that I was able to get it to copy and paste

"Subject: TechnicalServices/CCI

Question:

I am writing to find out of the internet rumors are correct about the cci no 34 primer being "equivalent" to the 250 magnum primer are true? In other words are they interchangeable as a magnum primer with proper load work up as per standard procedure when developing a new load

These specs are listed below.

CCI 200 is a standard large rifle primer with a standard cup thickness.

CCI BR2 are a standard ignition rate with a thicker primer cup and are held to the tightest tolerances possible.

CCI #34 have a thicker cup with an anvil angle change to reduce the possibility of slam fires and also have a slightly hotter mix than a CCI 200 to aid in best ignition of ball powders that would be used in mil spec applications.

CCI 250 are our hottest primer with a thick cup that are designed for magnum cartridge applications.

CCI 250 and #34 are not interchangeable.

Thanks,

Cody B./Technical Service Rep.

CCI/Speer/Alliant"
Just curious, what calibers and magnum loads have you used the #34 for yourself? Did you chrono velocities with 250's then with #34's?

Haven't been able to get 250's or any other magnum for that matter.
I have used the 34 in 308, 300 WM, 25-06
300 WM has been with all powders I have tried. Ramshot hunter, 7828, h1000, h4350. I have had good results with it but I also haven't loaded a pile of any load that I have liked, hoping to find some 250's or any other true magnum primer to use. It seems they are GONE before I'm aware they are available.
With RS hunter I had some of the cleanest burn I've ever seen w the same primer. ES/SD have been favorable with the loads the rifle has liked.
When I am able to get some honest magnum primers I will do a comparison.