Mid Priced Scopes

I've lost interest in Nikon after having to deal with their crappy customer service. I had one of their spotting scopes and the eyepiece became increasingly hard to rotate. I sent it in, under warranty, and they charged me for the repair! They said it had been dropped (it hadn't even left my home at that point, and certainly had never been dropped). With so many good companies out there I see no reason to deal with such dishonest people.

Back on topic, 2-10 is a pretty wide range of magnification. You're going to pay more for a higher zoom. So when talking about good value I believe its best to stick with a smaller zoom. 3-9x is really popular and good deals are easy to come by. The 50mm objective usually adds to the cost as well and is not necessary with lower powered scopes. A 4-5mm exit pupil is all your eye can really use anyway. So a 40mm objective won't lose any noticeable brightness until you hit 9x. For higher powered scopes a 50mm would be useful in low light, but not for something in the 10x range.

I like Leupold myself. My recommendation would be a VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm CDS with WindPlex reticle. They'll run about $375 if you look for a good deal. With this scope you can quickly dial your yardage and hold for wind. Its fast and effective. Another decent option right now for the budget-minded would be a Vortex Viper 3-9x. They are being discontinued and can be had for under $200.

I've lost interest in Nikon after having to deal with their crappy customer service. I had one of their spotting scopes and the eyepiece became increasingly hard to rotate. I sent it in, under warranty, and they charged me for the repair! They said it had been dropped (it hadn't even left my home at that point, and certainly had never been dropped). With so many good companies out there I see no reason to deal with such dishonest people.

Back on topic, 2-10 is a pretty wide range of magnification. You're going to pay more for a higher zoom. So when talking about good value I believe its best to stick with a smaller zoom. 3-9x is really popular and good deals are easy to come by. The 50mm objective usually adds to the cost as well and is not necessary with lower powered scopes. A 4-5mm exit pupil is all your eye can really use anyway. So a 40mm objective won't lose any noticeable brightness until you hit 9x. For higher powered scopes a 50mm would be useful in low light, but not for something in the 10x range.

I like Leupold myself. My recommendation would be a VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm CDS with WindPlex reticle. They'll run about $375 if you look for a good deal. With this scope you can quickly dial your yardage and hold for wind. Its fast and effective. Another decent option right now for the budget-minded would be a Vortex Viper 3-9x. They are being discontinued and can be had for under $200.

That must have been under there old warranty,,, when did the abortion happen (date) ???

El, wondering if the warranty for the spotters is different. I've sent two rifle scopes to Nikon in the last year, one for a friend and one of my oldest scopes. Filled out the online return form, immediately received a shipping label and a cover sheet. The friend's scope was not repairable and he was sent an upgraded version in just over two weeks via overnight Fed-Ex. Mine was repaired and shipped in 17 days with a list of repairs performed which included new internals, cleaned, recharged and recoil tested. No charges were associated with either scope and received a letter, e-mail and phone call from them on disposition. These were high end Nikons, not the basic 3X9 ProStaff. I've read similar reports of excellent service on this forum from Nikon recently. Perhaps a call to Nikon would resolve your situation.

My experience with Nikon was probably 10 years ago. I don't remember many details. I do recall talking to them, and being instructed to send it in on my dime. After it arrived they looked it over, and told me they'd repair it for $15. I argued with them since it was clearly under warranty, and the product was clearly defective. They just told me it wasn't their fault and I could pay the money or they'd send me back the useless eyepiece. So I paid the money. I don't remember if they charged me for return shipping or not. This was a $400 spotting scope so it wasn't terrible having to pay for the repair. Just lame because it was under warranty.

Hopefully they've changed their policies since then. I'm not totally anti-Nikon because of this, I just look at other brands first. Glad to hear you guys have had better luck with them than I have!

My spotting scope is still working fine to this day. A while back I had it in my pack with my wet Safari Sneakers. Water and mud got inside the scope and made it impossible to see anything. Not wanting to send it back to Nikon, I took it apart and cleaned it. Now its back in action. I still wonder how mud could just ooze into a spotting scope though. Seems kind of odd.

What ever you do don't buy a Zeiss Conquest used If scope goes bad and can't be repaired
you will be sent a Terra with 5 year warenty. I will never buy a Zeiss again because what they are pulling. I know It happened to me,

My experience with Nikon was probably 10 years ago. I don't remember many details. I do recall talking to them, and being instructed to send it in on my dime. After it arrived they looked it over, and told me they'd repair it for $15. I argued with them since it was clearly under warranty, and the product was clearly defective. They just told me it wasn't their fault and I could pay the money or they'd send me back the useless eyepiece. So I paid the money. I don't remember if they charged me for return shipping or not. This was a $400 spotting scope so it wasn't terrible having to pay for the repair. Just lame because it was under warranty.

Hopefully they've changed their policies since then. I'm not totally anti-Nikon because of this, I just look at other brands first. Glad to hear you guys have had better luck with them than I have!

My spotting scope is still working fine to this day. A while back I had it in my pack with my wet Safari Sneakers. Water and mud got inside the scope and made it impossible to see anything. Not wanting to send it back to Nikon, I took it apart and cleaned it. Now its back in action. I still wonder how mud could just ooze into a spotting scope though. Seems kind of odd.

That may or may not have been under the org Nikon they where bought out by Bushnell just dont remember the time frame....

Like my old pathology boss used to say ,,,, If ya cant compete with them, buy em out !!!

That may or may not have been under the org Nikon they where bought out by Bushnell just dont remember the time frame....

Like my old pathology boss used to say ,,,, If ya cant compete with them, buy em out !!!

I was told by our Nikon rep Nikon is a member of the Mitsubishi group of companies. Bushnell is owned by Vista Outdoor LLC which includes 45 outdoor product manufacturers with 6 scope manufacturers including Bushnell which is considered Vista's high-end scope offering. However both Nikon and all the Vista brands source the manufacture of their scopes to other companies in Japan, Philippines and the low-end scopes from China. Their products may or may not be QC checked in the US before sale. Only a few companies' scopes are made here in the US with most being high end.

I was told by our Nikon rep Nikon is a member of the Mitsubishi group of companies. Bushnell is owned by Vista Outdoor LLC which includes 45 outdoor product manufacturers with 6 scope manufacturers including Bushnell which is considered Vista's high-end scope offering. However both Nikon and all the Vista brands source the manufacture of their scopes to other companies in Japan, Philippines and the low-end scopes from China. Their products may or may not be QC checked in the US before sale. Only a few companies' scopes are made here in the US with most being high end.

Ya it is sad,,,, didnt used to be this way, way back in the day . Company's sale/merg and part faster than i change my underwear....

I have a Nikon prostaff, was a package deal, so probably low end. But my Leupold VX-3I blows it away for extending the DNR's suggested hunting hours.

In $350 range, I would be looking at VX2&3s. American made. Which means alot to me.

Only a few companies' scopes are made here in the US with most being high end.

You can get low mid end Leupolds made in US. You can get a VX-2 2-7 for under $300.

You can do the math on how big of bell you need at 2x, it isn't much. Probably the quality is more important than just a size #.

I would go with the Nikon Monarch.

I've got one on one of my 7mm. My son loves his Zeiss scopes so I finally got a chance to compare them side by side. At last light, yes the Zeiss was better but up until that last minute, I coulnd't see the difference. Says a lot about the Nikon to me.

I run Leupold VX6's on my other rifles. If you can swing it, look at the VX3.

JMHO.

Greg

I agree on mounting height due to a larger objective, but it will be going on a break open rifle and if nothing else, it may help with hammer access. I have a stock pack that also helps with comb height.

I ended up ordering a Minox zx5i 2-10x50 that I'll get my hands on today. I'll be comparing it to the Diamondback HP 3-12x42, elite 2.5-16x42, a prostaff7 3-12x42 and a prostaff 5 2.5-10x42.

I'll let you all know my findings.

matt
I have a diam8ndba'k 4x16x42 hp and I just got a Minox zx5i 5x25x56mm and at 8x the Mi ox has way more light gathering power at dusk and even in moonligt.However the Diamond back hp seems much brighter during daylight hours,I don't know if this makes sense and tg he Minox field of view is vey impressive as well as its eye relief .But make sure you get the lighted reticle its too fine and disappears.
Just my unscientific observtions.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts