Mechanics vs non

When I remember to do so, Big IF there, I like to run the rings screws down tight without a scope in the rings first. This burnishes the threads and smooths them out a bit. Then those screws are married the particular hole that they were tightened in. As much as we'd like to think that a given size and pitch thread is the exact same as the hole next to it, of the same size and pitch, is, that isn't true.

I'm sure that different thread lockers have measurably different impacts on the lubricity in the threads, but the torque tables that even list them treat them as all the same. Just because you can measure a difference doesn't mean that the difference matters to the system.

If we really cared about the clamping force in the rings we would be using the screw stretch or torque-angle methods to install the fasteners. Even those are just better approximations of equalizing the tension in the fasteners.

At some point we need to just stop and go shooting....
:)

Last edited:
When torquing optic rings/mounts do you do it in a sequence (4 per ring or 6 per ring)? If so why and what made your decision?

Keeping the top halves evenly spaced on both sides is understandable, but how are you doing a 4 screw per ring or a 6 per ring?

The mechanic in me stems from head, mains or manifold torque sequencing.
Gotcha.
I started with little engines, until I had sucked all the horsepower and torque from them.
Went bigger, and the little things like pre-fit, airflows, bumps in the manifold, what do oils and gasses do, (at what altitude, temperature, humidity), and proper torque began to invade my dreams and a lot of my waking hours.
Back to firearms and scopes.
I purchased a couple mini-inch pound torque wrenches / screwdriver types also. Some were digital, had memories, would tie into a computer, and some I managed to get my bosses to pay for. Some of them shoot and have "hobbies".
I cross-tighten, and sneak up on all the final settings. During the tightening, I do my best to see what the thread stretch and distortions do to the final alignment(s).
Took me quite a few months to settle on the proper alignment and torque for my ELR/scope. I kept collecting more and more data, and how could a variance of 0.2 inch pound make such a large difference in point of POA/POI?
I have a friend and I finally told him to not touch my scope. It is correct. If it was not, I would not be able to make large holes out at distance.
He is planning on getting the same rifle & scope I have. He asked me to help set it up. I told him what we would do, and he said, "Isn't that a bit excessive?"
Probably is. But do you want to always hit what you aim at? Do you want to wonder if the impact will be exactly where you want it to be?

My wife used to tell me I was very anal, even for an engineer. Then I designed and made our special needs child, handicap equipment, and our home friendly for him. Now I just pay attention to detail.

Silly me, but I will say it. Do not spend $100.00 and expect $1,000.00 part. Buy and cry once.

Throw in different thread lockers (had typed thread lickers but auto corrected but now not sure why?"). 🤔
I like the Patrick Henry.
Too many do not know anything about him, just a name. Not a hero, just a name. Sad.
My grammar school was named Patrick Henry.

I add a weeping thread locker after I am positive I will not ever touch it it again.

Last edited:
That cost me a ball joint, and I hope cost the "mechanic" who used the impact his next raise.
Had a similar experience at a dealership. They offered three years/60k service visits.
Sounded good.
Then they broke a stud when rotating my tires. Told me the repair would be co-pay of close to $300.00. I told them I wanted the damaged parts.
Why?
I work in a laboratory, and our machine shop will find why it broke. I had not had any work done except by their shop.
They gratuitously decided to replace the stud for free.

I hope the "mechanic that damaged and broke my stud was spoken to, and had his raise set back a ways.

I do it a quarter or half turn at a time on each screw and do X pattern. If im on the left side for front ring, i will move to right in x pattern and then go to the rear ring. So basically alternate rings and sides in X pattern