McMillan Game Scout

Clucknmoan

Gents...need some input from those of you that have some hand on time with these stocks. Trying to lighten up my rig so I'm seriously looking into these Game Scouts with the edge fill. Shoot off bipod most generally, usually prone or however I can get a good solid rest with the angle.

Looking for hands on experience with 50 mil objectives on this without an adjustable cheekpiece or a bag riser. Hows the cheek weld? What about a 56 mil? An absolute no go?

Next, I've heard that they suggest to not add an aftermarket riser to these, something like a defensive edge. Is this because they are thinner skinned than the standard Game Scouts? Or is it because of the edge fill itself? Or is this just hearsay and you can add a cheekpiece to one?

General likes or dislikes about this stock?

Thanks everyone. :)

I have the Game Warden stock which is the Game Scout made to fit a #5 contour barrel or larger. Mine has the built in cheek riser which I prefer anyway. Depending on what contour your barrel is, you may get away with a 50mm objective. I have a NF 50mm on mine but I have to raise up my cheek riser a bit to get good alignment. I really like the stock though.

I have the Game Warden stock which is the Game Scout made to fit a #5 contour barrel or larger. Mine has the built in cheek riser which I prefer anyway. Depending on what contour your barrel is, you may get away with a 50mm objective. I have a NF 50mm on mine but I have to raise up my cheek riser a bit to get good alignment. I really like the stock though.

Is that an edge fill or standard? Any idea what it weighs?

I have a Game Scout on a 700 CDL SF that I have no complaints about whatsoever quality is what I have come to expect from Mcmillan. That said I have a 44mm objective on mine that I have shot for every position imaginable without issue. The scope is a little high but I don't think I can fit a 50mm on it. Can't imagine wanting a riser in the back.

I am looking at the new Game Warden myself looks pretty sweet.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

If you are going to be shooting prone for long range then the riser is nice. If not then you really wouldn't need the riser. I don't know how much it ways but mine is the standard fill.

Another option is the A3 Edge Sporter. I just finished a 300 WM with a March 2.5-25x52 in Nightforce low rings and it lined up perfectly. I love the way the A3 Sporter feels.

I have a standard fill Game Scout on my custom 300 WM. Very nice stock in my opinion. I have a #3 BRUX barrel and A NF SHV 5-20X56. Clears the barrel perfectly with Tally rings. Can't remember if they are lows or medium though.

I have a standard fill Game Scout on my custom 300 WM. Very nice stock in my opinion. I have a #3 BRUX barrel and A NF SHV 5-20X56. Clears the barrel perfectly with Tally rings. Can't remember if they are lows or medium though.

Good info. Hows the cheek weld and FOV with that scope and no riser??

Cheek weld and FOV work good for me. If I was forced to sell all my guns and could only keep one. this 300 WM would be the one I would keep. My friend built one at the same time as I did but with a Manners EH1. Both shoot equally good and we load them exactly the same as the same reamer was used on both. Throated long for the 215 Berger. Shoots them right at 3000 fps into tiny groups.

Cheek weld and FOV work good for me. If I was forced to sell all my guns and could only keep one. this 300 WM would be the one I would keep. My friend built one at the same time as I did but with a Manners EH1. Both shoot equally good and we load them exactly the same as the same reamer was used on both. Throated long for the 215 Berger. Shoots them right at 3000 fps into tiny groups.

Thanks Beeman, good info.

I have the A-3 sporter for a 338 Norma. They wouldn't do anything but the magnum fill in the stock and a #6 Krieger barrel just fit in the inletting. Doing it again, I would probably go with the Game Hunter as I like monte carlo stocks. No problem with low rings and a 50 mil objective. Give them a call as they took the time to answer my questions.

How does the Game Scout pair with a Proof Sendero Light contour? I'm not sure if I should go with the Scout or Warden.

I think the Game Warden was designed for a thicker profile barrel. I have a light sporter ish barrel and it eats up angood bit of the channel.

I'de call McMillan and ralk to someone that knows. Get measurements from them and Proof.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.