Maximum Distance for .223 or a .22-250

Big point for 223. Longer barrel life, less heat. Why waste the barrel if shooting well within 223 capability?

Theodore
Man you bring up a great point. I am just really not sure what route to go. The overall performance of the 250 is appealing but I know most of my shots are withing 400 yds. I already have a .223 in the AR. Would it be foolish of me to get another .223. I am just really torn. The cheaper ammo (i don't hand load) and the availability of 223 in multiple gr. is also appealing but then I get back to the speed and trajectory of the 250. I guess if you were in my shoes what route would you go?

Lil tank feel free to comment I would love to hear your thougth on this as well! Again I appreciate the help for this new guy!

Overall I just think it would be a great hoby to improve my skills and hit things at distance!

Theodore
Man you bring up a great point. I am just really not sure what route to go. The overall performance of the 250 is appealing but I know most of my shots are withing 400 yds. I already have a .223 in the AR. Would it be foolish of me to get another .223. I am just really torn. The cheaper ammo (i don't hand load) and the availability of 223 in multiple gr. is also appealing but then I get back to the speed and trajectory of the 250. I guess if you were in my shoes what route would you go?

Well, lets look at it this way. Is the AR legal to hunt with in your state? If so, can you build it to be a custom grade AR (Match barrel, match trigger, receiver, charging handle, bolt assembly)? If you can do the above with your current rifle, that will allow you to shoot long range. There are military snipers with this exact set up taking targets at ranges of 600 to 800 yards using 77 and 80 grain sniper grade ammo. Can your current rig shoot sub MOA consistently?

Now if you can't afford those types of upgrades, then you look at buying a bolt gun in 223 with a 1:9 twist or better. Again this will allow for better precision for lesser value. You will also have ammo that is interchangeable between two systems. You could use the AR for close shots to 400yrds and use the bolt gun to 800yrds.

But... but should you ever have the desire to reload, you will have a great platform using the 22-250 with the 1:9 twist. This would be a great rifle to learn on. Black Hills ammunition make a 50grn V-Max at 3700fps. This is really excellent ammo for shooting and learning on. That is 400fps faster than their 223 ammo with the same bullet. You can see just from this velocity difference the wind bucking ability difference you can see between the two calibers.

Here are some numbers to grind your teeth on.

22-250 @ 3700fps w/ 50grn Hornady V-Max
800yrds 18.6 MOA Elevation 1055fps 12.2 MOA Wind 123.7ftlbs. of energy

22-250 @ 3050fps w/ 75grn Match Hollow Point Boat Tail (probably push harder)
800yrds 17.3 MOA Elevation 1487.9fps 7.3 MOA Wind 386.6ftlbs. of energy

223 @2750fps w/ 75grn Match Hollow Point Boat Tail
800yrds 22.5 MOA Elevation 1311fps 8.5 MOA Wind 286.1ftlbs. of energy

223 @3300fps w/ 50grn Hornady V-Max
800yrds 26.3 MOA Elevation 975fps 14.6 MOA Wind 105.5ftlbs. of energy

Now granted, the heavier bullet will need to be hand loaded in the 22-250. So with these numbers, the .223 will be the way to go if you are going to be strictly shooting factory ammo. If you have any inclination what so ever to start loading, the 22-250 ballistically is your better option. I used a long distance for good representation as to what each caliber is capable of. At 400yrds with the 50grn V-Max, it is going to be a mortal wound with either caliber on varmint type game.

Heck, if anything, it give you another reason to add another caliber and rifle to the rifle collection.

Hope this helps,
Tank

Last edited:
you can push the 22-250 alot harder i shoot 75 amaxes out of my 22-250AI at 3560fps and have shot praire dogs at just under 800 and thats the longest shot ive had on an animal. ive shot targets out to 1000 with ease. fast flat shooting rifle. yeah barrel life not so great but i dont care once i burn it i repalce it with another and go again. are you shooting 200rounds a year if so this will last a few years and you will be pancaking thing way out there.

just my .02

toby

you can push the 22-250 alot harder i shoot 75 amaxes out of my 22-250AI at 3560fps and have shot praire dogs at just under 800 and thats the longest shot ive had on an animal. ive shot targets out to 1000 with ease. fast flat shooting rifle. yeah barrel life not so great but i dont care once i burn it i repalce it with another and go again. are you shooting 200rounds a year if so this will last a few years and you will be pancaking thing way out there.

just my .02

toby

I figured that you could. I have done very little loading for 22-250. The only one I have ever owned was a Ruger varminter with a 1:14 twist. Not very conducive to the heavy bullets. I'm thinking I might carry a .224 cal some day, but not sure which one. I like the idea of the 20 Practical (.204 cal) talked about on 6mmbr.com. With the 39grn Blitz King from Sierra can rival any of the .22's grain for grain. I do know that 52 and 55 grain bullets stop deer in their tracks at 100yrds or less.

Tank

Last edited:
Buzz10 I have the 12Bvss also and shot a lot of boxes of different brands thru it. The Winchester Supreme Silver Tip 55grn seemed to work the best. My best shot with that round was 485yds. Next was the Hornady 50grn VMAX, this shot well but the grouping was bigger at 200yds bench rest. 1st choice is Win. can't find em i'll grab Hornady. I see your from north central ohio, I'm from Lorain County(Amherst) We did a lot of ground hoggin around New London area years ago and would like to get back into it. My Varmint hunting buddy past away 2yrs ago and I just kinda slowly got away from it.

Last question! (for now any ways). Will the 1:9 Twist VLP handle the 55gr. varmit rounds or is that twist rate too fast. Most of the info I have researched on the net say keep the bullet above 64gr. for a 1:9 .224 cal.

Wasnt sure if this was a cut and dry thing or if a guy could get away with shooting some of the lighter stuff like the 55g Hornadys and Winchester ballistic varmint.

My wife's uncle shot a ground hog at 650 yds with a 250. It has a 8 twist for the longer bullits. I have a 250 w/ a 14 twist but I shoot under 300 yds. The 50 gr nosler ballistic tip with varget works great. Hand load for sure. it is the best when a long shot comes from your work.gun)

I guess what I don't understand is this, when I was a kid I had a Remington 700ADL in .22-250 that would shoot a 52gr. hp very, very well. I started loading 70gr. Speer round nose bullets for whitetail hunting. The 70gr. bullets would shoot one hole groups. The factory Remington had a 1:14 twist barrel if I remember correctly. So what's changed? Bullet construction perhaps?

Thanks, Doug

I guess what I don't understand is this, when I was a kid I had a Remington 700ADL in .22-250 that would shoot a 52gr. hp very, very well. I started loading 70gr. Speer round nose bullets for whitetail hunting. The 70gr. bullets would shoot one hole groups. The factory Remington had a 1:14 twist barrel if I remember correctly. So what's changed? Bullet construction perhaps?

Thanks, Doug

My 243 with a factory 9 1/4" twist, 22" barrel does good with 105VLD that recommends 8" twist. I think the high mv stabilized it clear over 1100 yards.

Last question! (for now any ways). Will the 1:9 Twist VLP handle the 55gr. varmit rounds or is that twist rate too fast. Most of the info I have researched on the net say keep the bullet above 64gr. for a 1:9 .224 cal.

Wasnt sure if this was a cut and dry thing or if a guy could get away with shooting some of the lighter stuff like the 55g Hornadys and Winchester ballistic varmint.

Yes, you will be fine shooting the 50 to 60 grain stuff. The really light bullets like the 36-40 grain bullets would probably be a problem.

Tank

buzz10,

I have done the 22 cals for Groundhog in VA, but when I went to the 243, I could not beleave the increase in killing power, just to a 70 gr bullet. I like the 87 Vmax for long range work in a 6mm with a 10 tw or faster. I mainly use a 6BR 12tw with 70gr Sierria Blitzking for work out to 800yds.

A friend for mine was, "The Groundhog Hunter" and a 22-250AI man ( had 6 of them). When he got a 6BR from me, he sold all of them and got 6BR's

I have had many 22-250 and they work very well. I still have a 22-250AI. The 22-250 9 tw will work great for what you want to shoot, with bullets 40gr to 75gr.

One thing nice about the Savage, is you can change barrels and bolt faces. I have one in 204 with a 223 barrel. I use this gun for close range walking gun and for PD hunts. I have killed GH out to 400 yds.

Mark Schronce

Thanks for all the valuable input guys. I am going to go with the 1:9 Savage. I already got the EGW base and the Burris Signature Rings to go with my Bushnell 3200 tactical scope.

Look forward to getting it all set up!

Buzz

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.