Max hunting range of 30-06?

How far can you push the 30-06 for the aforementioned elk ?

It depends on the situation, there are days I have a high confidence in making shots on game at 500 yards and beyond. Then there are days 200 yards might seem like a stretch. We can quote FPS and energy numbers till every one has sore fingers from typing, but it will always be a fluid situation where the shooter needs to recognize when they can or can't stretch it out.

800 where I hunt elk, 600 at home (almost sea level). 215 Berger a little over 2600 fps.
With that 215 grain Berger, how fast are you pushing it out the muzzle? And which powder are you using? And what weight of that powder are you using?

Last edited:
Let's first stipulate you're hunting elk. And let us further stipulate that you're hand loading your rounds for max performance, bullets, powder, primers, cases, the whole 9 yards.

How far can you push the 30-06 for the aforementioned elk ?

How far is YOUR shooting skills good to ? Some of the guys here might make 800-1000 work.

But for the sake of argument.
The Hornady Precision Hunter ammo loaded with the 178 ELD-X, drops under the 1800 fps window at 675 or so. So I would leave a safety cushion, 600 max.

Screenshot_20191223-224237.jpg

How far is YOUR shooting skills good to ? Some of the guys here might make 800-1000 work.

But for the sake of argument.
The Hornady Precision Hunter ammo loaded with that 178 ELD-X, drops under the 1800 fps window at 675 or so. So I would leave a safety cushion, 600 max.
View attachment 164707
I hate to say it but I don't think you're going to get maximum performance out of factory ammo. You're going to need to hand load for that. And that 215 gr Berger bullet seems like an excellent starting point.

With that 215 grain Berger, how fast are you pushing it out the muzzle? And which powder are you using? And what weight of that powder are you using?
It's a little over 2600 fps with 53gr of RL17. Can take it a little faster but not as accurate. This is with a Ruger American rifle loaded just long enough to run from the factory Mag. Thinking of trying RL26 and see if it will gain a little velocity. That's really what my .300WinMag and .300RUM are for, but the Ruger is a really light and handy rifle. Makes it nice to carry whilst navigating restrictive/severely restrictive terrain.
Also have a load with the 166 Hammer Hunters with 58gr RL17 that is over 2900 fps.

Last edited:
It depends on the situation, there are days I have a high confidence in making shots on game at 500 yards and beyond. Then there are days 200 yards might seem like a stretch. We can quote FPS and energy numbers till every one has sore fingers from typing, but it will always be a fluid situation where the shooter needs to recognize when they can or can't stretch it out.
I am in total ageement with you
I am 74 and when i was 20 i could hit the target at 600 yards with a 303 now with a 30'06 i stalk and try to keep it at a maximum of around 250 yards
Same with my CZ 375 H&H
I have a winchester mod 70 and sako m85 in 30-06

While I have used the 30-06 on the 1,000 yard line in bolt guns and match M1 Garands, on elk and similar sized game I kept the range to 700 and below. Deer sized game is another matter.

My 30-06 hunting rifles have long throats that allow me to seat bullets out and use more powder for about 100fps or so above the "standard" throat, and I routinely load the 165's above 3,000fps and 180's around 2,900 in 24" barrels. I have gone higher, but pressure and decreased accuracy began to show. I have seen a couple of 26" and 27" barrels with long throats produce some interesting velocities, and an old 1917 pattern Remington 1930S with a 4 groove 26" barrel would safely send the 165's out at 3,100+fps.

I have a 30-06 Ackley and have harvested cow elk out to just under 500 yards. With 180 game kings it has 2900fps at the muzzle and drops below 1800 ftlbs at 500 yards. Also shoot 190 Berger's which drop below 1800 ftlbs at 600 yards. So I keep shots on game to 500 yards or less with that gun. The elk I've shot have dropped on the spot. A stock -06 would be close to that, might back off distance a bit, just my 2 cents.

I placed my personal hunting limit at a maximum of 750 with my /06 and favorite load in perfect conditions. I am fortunate to be able to practice regularly out to 1,500 on steel.
Validated drops with a high quality chronograph are an absolute necessity if you want to stretch the legs of the 30/06. It will get there, and ethically harvest game, just not as flat and with a bit more wind drift than some of the newer and shinier rounds.
Practice > predicted

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.