Match Open to Handguns in Missouri

Bob Roach

We are starting a new Short Course Match at the Big Piney Sportsman's Club. We will have a 22RF Handgun Division, as well as a Centerfire Handgun Division.
Shooting a 22 RF you can shoot 50 yards on the IBS 50 yard RF Target and or 100 Yards on the 100 yard IBS Target.
Shooting Centerfire you can shoot on the 100 yard IBS Target and or the 200 yard IBS Target at 200 yards.
First Match Sunday 03 September 2023 starting at 1:00 PM
Following Match's for 2023:
Saturday 28 October Starting at 10:00 AM
Saturday 25 November Starting at 10:00 AM
Saturday 23 December Starting at 10:00 AM

Match Location: Big Piney Sportsman's Club 18012 Hwy B Houston Missouri. Half way between Houston and Raymondville Missouri. POC: Bob Roach (417) 217-1717 [email protected]

The 200 yard Multi Purpose Range has 12 Covered Concrete Bench's, with Wooden Stools at each Bench. Our Club House has Rest Rooms as well as a Cooler with cold drinks. Come on out and meet some new friends, and have a good time shooting.

Bob R

Mark so far NO One Piece Rest is the Main Rule. This may be refined some as we progress. This should be pretty low key event. I am still tuning up the old 50 yard benchrest target frames, which are also used by 4-H. I still need to construct a Baffle Wall to put Brakes on the other side of. Rifles with Brakes are LOUD, Centerfire Handguns with Brakes are VERY LOUD on a Benchrest Line. Below is a copy of the Information Sheet. Hope to see You, Bob Cat, Chris, Jim, and the rest of the gang. NOTE: My e-mail address changed. You may want to revise it.

MATCH INFORMATION SHEET

Big Piney Short Course

RIMFIRE 50 & 100 Yard Course

DIVISIONS:

17 Rimfire

22 Rimfire Bolt Action (Includes anything not Semi-Automatic or a Handgun)

22 Rimfire Semi-Automatic

22 Rimfire Handgun

Front and Rear Rests must be separated. No One Piece Rests.

Scoring: For Score, Best Edge. Ties Broken by X Count.

50 Yard Match: Course of fire 25 rounds (One shot per Bull on IBS 50 Yard Target) 20 Minute Time Limit. Unlimited Sighters

100 Yard Match: Course of Fire 15 Rounds (3 Shots per Bull on IBS 100 Yard Target) 20 Minute Time Limit. Unlimited Sighters.

CENTERFIRE 100 & 200 Yard Course

DIVISIONS:

Centerfire Bolt Action (Includes anything not Semi-Automatic or a Handgun)

Centerfire Semi-Automatic

Centerfire Handgun

Front and Rear Rests must be separated. No One Piece Rests.

Scoring: For Score, Best Edge. Ties Broken by X Count.

100 Yard Match: Course of Fire 15 Rounds (3 Shots per Bull on IBS 100 Yard Target) 20 Minute Time Limit. Unlimited Sighters.

200 Yard Match: Course of Fire 15 Rounds (3 Shots per Bull on IBS 200 Yard Target) 20 Minute Time Limit. Unlimited Sighters.

BIG PINEY SPORTSMANS CLUB

18012 Hwy B Houston Missouri

POC: Bob Roach (417) 217-1717 (Entry Fee $10 First Target $5 All Additional Targets)

Sunday 03 September 1:00 PM Saturday 28 October 10:00 AM

Saturday 25 November 10:00 AM Saturday 23 December 10:00 AM

We have been rebuilding the 200 yard Multi Purpose Range. We have added a new 150 yard berm for Black Powder Cartridge's 22 Rimfire Match. We also widened the 200 yard berm for their Silhouette stands. We also pushed out the 50 yard line. We should be reconstructing the 100 yard berm today after our contractor finished the Handgun A Bay berm work. We have 11 new (4' X 4') Target Stands for the Multi Purpose Range. In the last year or so, we also poured a concrete floor under the cover. We now have electric to the Multi-Purpose Range. We will have it wired for outlets and lights in the next few months. We will also add switched wiring for some Hi Powered LED Pole Lighting. We have these lights installed on the Main Trap Range, and are waiting for the overhead electric guys to install them on the Trap/Skeet Overlay Range when they start on the RV Outlet power. We are in the process of tuning up about 2/3's of the Hi-Power Range Berms at this time.
If you have not been out in a while, you will be impressed with the improvements.

Bob R

I don't have anything ready to shoot at the moment Bob but I'm going to try and make it Sunday to watch anyway!

Bob T.
(Bobcat on SP)

We are starting a new Short Course Match at the Big Piney Sportsman's Club. We will have a 22RF Handgun Division, as well as a Centerfire Handgun Division.
Shooting a 22 RF you can shoot 50 yards on the IBS 50 yard RF Target and or 100 Yards on the 100 yard IBS Target.
Shooting Centerfire you can shoot on the 100 yard IBS Target and or the 200 yard IBS Target at 200 yards.
First Match Sunday 03 September 2023 starting at 1:00 PM
Following Match's for 2023:
Saturday 28 October Starting at 10:00 AM
Saturday 25 November Starting at 10:00 AM
Saturday 23 December Starting at 10:00 AM

Match Location: Big Piney Sportsman's Club 18012 Hwy B Houston Missouri. Half way between Houston and Raymondville Missouri. POC: Bob Roach (417) 217-1717 [email protected]

The 200 yard Multi Purpose Range has 12 Covered Concrete Bench's, with Wooden Stools at each Bench. Our Club House has Rest Rooms as well as a Cooler with cold drinks. Come on out and meet some new friends, and have a good time shooting.

Bob R
đź‘Ť

Probably not the Bob you are asking but I thought it went pretty well for an inaugural match. There were a few hiccups but nothing major. I sent you a text earlier.
Sounds like a great event. Too bad it's so far away for myself! good luck to all involved.

From lets try a match like this, to the first match was two and a half weeks. We passed out around "Five" flyers telling about the match. It was announced at the 600 yd F Class Match. Past that word of mouth.

We ended up with 24 shooters. Mostly shooting 22 LR Rifles. Not bad at all for a first shoot with almost no notification.

Everyone was impressed with the Range Rebuild. We widened the 200 yard berm, We added a 150 yard berm mainly for Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette's 22 Rimfire Match. We moved the 100 yard berm left so that the 150 yard berm was not covered by it. We also extended the 50 yard line forward. The area in front of the shooting bench's originally sloped down hill. We have added fill three times over the years extending the level ground out to 50 yards. The Black Powder 22 shooters will shoot silhouettes from in front of the covered bench's. This required extending the 50 yard line further. This was a good thing for this match. This gave us enough area to drive behind the 50 yard Target Line to set out the Target Frames, as well as to install the 2' X 2' steel strike plates that go in the holders on the back of the target frames. We had also added Two new 1/2 scale wind flags on 15' poles. We also put a 5' section of 3/4" EMT Conduit over the Concrete Stakes that mark the 50 yard Target Line. We attached Marker Ribbon to the EMT Poles. This worked out better than the commercial Wind Flags.

LESSONS LEARNED
We shot ALL the 50 yard rimfire shooters first. MISTAKE.
Next time we will let the First Relay of 17RF and 22 RF shoot both the 50 yard and 100 yard targets without moving gear off the line. Then the next Relay will do the same until all Rimfire Relays have fired.

ORDER OF RELAYS
We will begin the next match with 100 yard Centerfire shooting FIRST.
We will then shoot all relays of Rimfire.
We will then have 200 yard Centerfire shoot last. Giving the guns time to cool down between relays.

MUZZLE BLAST
We did not have any issues with Muzzle Brakes, HOWEVER we plan to have an Acoustic Baffle in place probably between bench 8 and 9. It will be moveable so its location can be moved as needed.

SEMI AUTO BRASS
This is being addressed. The plan is to have a mesh tarp or two cut up and hemmed by the local upholstery shop. Making Brass Screens approximately 36" tall by 48" wide. They will have a section of 1/2" PVC pipe attached at the top with a nylon cord through it. A second PVC pipe filled with sand and capped, will weight the bottom so they hang vertical. The way the bench's are set up we have a steel member overhead centered between bench's. We will simply screw a couple of Conduit Standoffs to the structural member to hang the screens on with a hook. Easy to set up and take down to keep AR15 brass off the shooter on the next bench. We will probably make enough Brass Screens to put between all the Bench's. I am expecting more AR15;s to start showing up.

We currently have Two Picnic Tables behind the bench's. We plan to add two or three more. We used one for sign in and scoring only leaving one picnic table open for shooters..

Another thing we will probably do is add a 4' X 4' target frame with a plywood face behind the scorers so we have a place to store the Clip Boards with Score Sheets. We only need two or three Score Sheets at any one time on the bench. We have clip boards with score sheets for:
17 RF
22 RF Bolt
22 RF Semi Auto
22 RF Handgun
Centerfire Bolt
Centerfire Semi Auto
Centerfire Handgun
Seven Clip Boards take up a lot of space on the picnic table. We will need to hang them out of the way.
Another thing we might be able to do is use my side by side and run the targets to the Score Shed for scoring. We have Tables, GREAT Light's, Lighted Magnifiers, etc left over from 50 Yard Rimfire and 600 yard Benchrest Match's we did in the past. Something to consider. The Score Shed is set up for TWO Scorers to work. We may need TWO.

By far the most entries was in 22RF Bolt Action. We had several comments that they would have brought a 17RF if they had known that they had a Division.
As many 10-22 Rugers as were being reworked for accuracy a few years ago, I thought we would have had a lot more show up.
The turnout for Centerfire was way less than Rimfire. One reason being most of our Centerfire shooters also shoot 600 yard F Class. Most of them brought out a 22 that they did not use up match grade Centerfire Components shooting.
We only had two semi auto centerfire entries. An M1A, and an AR15. I really expect the Centerfire Semi-Auto entries to clime as folks discover they have a Division to shoot AR15's against other AR15's.
We had two Rimfire Handguns for this match. HOWEVER neither of us had time to shoot running the match. We may try and find time to shoot early in the future, again if we find time.

I consider the first Short Course Match a huge success.

Bob R

Last edited:
From lets try a match like this, to the first match was two and a half weeks. We passed out around "Five" flyers telling about the match. It was announced at the 600 yd F Class Match. Past that word of mouth.

We ended up with 24 shooters. Mostly shooting 22 LR Rifles. Not bad at all for a first shoot with almost no notification.

Everyone was impressed with the Range Rebuild. We widened the 200 yard berm, We added a 150 yard berm mainly for Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette's 22 Rimfire Match. We moved the 100 yard berm left so that the 150 yard berm was not covered by it. We also extended the 50 yard line forward. The area in front of the shooting bench's originally sloped down hill. We have added fill three times over the years extending the level ground out to 50 yards. The Black Powder 22 shooters will shoot silhouettes from in front of the covered bench's. This required extending the 50 yard line further. This was a good thing for this match. This gave us enough area to drive behind the 50 yard Target Line to set out the Target Frames, as well as to install the 2' X 2' steel strike plates that go in the holders on the back of the target frames. We had also added Two new 1/2 scale wind flags on 15' poles. We also put a 5' section of 3/4" EMT Conduit over the Concrete Stakes that mark the 50 yard Target Line. We attached Marker Ribbon to the EMT Poles. This worked out better than the commercial Wind Flags.

LESSONS LEARNED
We shot ALL the 50 yard rimfire shooters first. MISTAKE.
Next time we will let the First Relay of 17RF and 22 RF shoot both the 50 yard and 100 yard targets without moving gear off the line. Then the next Relay will do the same until all Rimfire Relays have fired.

ORDER OF RELAYS
We will begin the next match with 100 yard Centerfire shooting FIRST.
We will then shoot all relays of Rimfire.
We will then have 200 yard Centerfire shoot last. Giving the guns time to cool down between relays.

MUZZLE BLAST
We did not have any issues with Muzzle Brakes, HOWEVER we plan to have an Acoustic Baffle in place probably between bench 8 and 9. It will be moveable so its location can be moved as needed.

SEMI AUTO BRASS
This is being addressed. The plan is to have a mesh tarp or two cut up and hemmed by the local upholstery shop. Making Brass Screens approximately 36" tall by 48" wide. They will have a section of 1/2" PVC pipe attached at the top with a nylon cord through it. A second PVC pipe filled with sand and capped, will weight the bottom so they hang vertical. The way the bench's are set up we have a steel member overhead centered between bench's. We will simply screw a couple of Conduit Standoffs to the structural member to hang the screens on with a hook. Easy to set up and take down to keep AR15 brass off the shooter on the next bench. We will probably make enough Brass Screens to put between all the Bench's. I am expecting more AR15;s to start showing up.

We currently have Two Picnic Tables behind the bench's. We plan to add two or three more. We used one for sign in and scoring only leaving one picnic table open for shooters..

Another thing we will probably do is add a 4' X 4' target frame with a plywood face behind the scorers so we have a place to store the Clip Boards with Score Sheets. We only need two or three Score Sheets at any one time on the bench. We have clip boards with score sheets for:
17 RF
22 RF Bolt
22 RF Semi Auto
22 RF Handgun
Centerfire Bolt
Centerfire Semi Auto
Centerfire Handgun
Seven Clip Boards take up a lot of space on the picnic table. We will need to hang them out of the way.
Another thing we might be able to do is use my side by side and run the targets to the Score Shed for scoring. We have Tables, GREAT Light's, Lighted Magnifiers, etc left over from 50 Yard Rimfire and 600 yard Benchrest Match's we did in the past. Something to consider. The Score Shed is set up for TWO Scorers to work. We may need TWO.

By far the most entries was in 22RF Bolt Action. We had several comments that they would have brought a 17RF if they had known that they had a Division.
As many 10-22 Rugers as were being reworked for accuracy a few years ago, I thought we would have had a lot more show up.
The turnout for Centerfire was way less than Rimfire. One reason being most of our Centerfire shooters also shoot 600 yard F Class. Most of them brought out a 22 that they did not use up match grade Centerfire Components shooting.
We only had two semi auto centerfire entries. An M1A, and an AR15. I really expect the Centerfire Semi-Auto entries to clime as folks discover they have a Division to shoot AR15's against other AR15's.
We had two Rimfire Handguns for this match. HOWEVER neither of us had time to shoot running the match. We may try and find time to shoot early in the future, again if we find time.

I consider the first Short Course Match a huge success.

Bob R
Thanks for the update Bob.

The second match suffered from bad weather. The temperature dropped over night from 81 to 43. We also had a slow rain most of the time that we were shooting.
We had two entries in 22 LR Handgun both 50 and 100 yard's The same two shooters also entered Hi Power Handgun at both 100 and 200 yards.
My brother and I would add a couple other handgun shooters EXCEPT we are running the Match, and do not have any time to shoot. After the First Relay, I am busy the rest of the Match Scoring Targets.

We did add two more picnic tables. Built from Kits using Amish Pine boards.
I had wondered what happened to all the 10-22's that were being worked on a few years back. We had eight show up at this match.
We will have a new service installed for the General Purpose Range, probably next week. We will have a pole on the back of the shooting bench line with a yard light and a panel for the Shooting line. We have the service mast wired for overhead LED Flood Lights that will probably get installed next year. We are also adding Four RV hook-up's to the Left of the bench line. This will give us a total of Five places to plug in an RV.

We are making progress.

Bob R