Marlin Model 60 for Prairie Dogs.

7man

Hey,
Going on a prairie dog shoot next weekend. Going to bring 7 rum, .223 savage model 12, and a 22.

I'll probably use this marlin model 60 a bit on the trip. I put a 4-12 power tasco scope I used to have on my savage .223 It doesn't have a parrellex adjustment. Is that a big deal?
I'll most likely be shooting at 200 yards max for fun on this. Should I be good with this rifle and scope combo? I've been thinking about the BSA sweet 22 scope.

What have u guys out there used for imfire rifles on p dogs?

Some guys from work and I went out yesterday, there was a .223, a .22mag and me with my old Glenfield 60 with a *** 3-9 that you can't see through unless you dial it back to 5x. Longest shot I took with it was 150 yards in a 15-20 mph crosswind from a kneel. Missed my first shot, 2nd dropped him without a twitch.

For a long time my Model 60 wore a Tasco 2-7x33. Now it has a 4-12x40 on it. With either scope I killed large ground hogs from 80-100 yards with off-hand shots. Neither of my scopes have a parallax adjustment. Not a big deal at all for the effective ranges of a .22. BTW...200 is a looooong way for a 22 rimfire

I'd avoid BSA like the plauge, never looked through one that didn't make me think I was going blind.

I've been using Bushnell Banners on my rimfires for quite a while(2 4X12s and 2 6x18s), still have 22mag and a Marlin mod 60 that wear Tascos, but someday they'll get upgraded to Banners as well.

Chris

7man
How did the 4-12 work out for ya? I'd pass on a BSA, there is just no quality control on sub standard parts. They dont even look good as a paper weight!

I'm an equal opertunity employer when it comes to shootin prairie dogs with a rimfire.
Top is a Savage in 17HMR with a Leupold VX1 3-9 with whide duplex. Getting kinda spendy to shoot but works great to 150 yards by useing the wide duplex.
Middle rifle is a 94-22 with a old 3-9 Weaver Micro-Trac with a dot reticle. Great shooter to 100 yards and just plain fun to shoot!
Bottom rifle is a 77-22 with a 3-9 Tasco and mildot reticle. Great shooin rifle that has hit a few past 300 with no wind.
The S&W pistol is a good enough shooter too, fun to plink with!

rimfire%20007.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.