Maine Moose hunt next week!!!!

Scalloper

So, I was drawn for a bull tag in zone one for next week Oct 9-14th. My son got drawn for a bull tag in zone two also for next week. We are all loaded up and heading out soon. I am staying 6 miles west of Claton Lake. My wife drew a tag two years ago and I shot it with my 7mag with a 168gr Berger. This year I am using my 28 Nosler loaded with 180gr Berger VLDs. My youngest son (sub) is shooting his 7mag that I loaded some 175 Nosler Partitions for. My older son is shooting his 300wm his girlfriend (sub) is shooting a 308.
Its quite something to draw two bull tags in two of the best zones in Maine. I have been lucky enough that my family has drawn 9 tags in the last 15 years. I am going to hold out for a 50+" bull.

This is a bull my wife killed in 2009. Dressed 1,076 lbs 51" spread. To date it's the biggest Maine moose I have seen dead or alive.
IMG_3013.jpeg

We had a great hunt. Killed both bulls. The bull me and my younger son shot was 51" and dressed 818 lbs.
My older sons bull had a 45" spread. He boned his out in the woods and put the meat in game bags then on ice. It was an awesome week hunting with my two sons.

Attachments

• IMG_0936.jpeg
    IMG_0936.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0931.jpeg
    IMG_0931.jpeg
    612.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0923.jpeg
    IMG_0923.jpeg
    490.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0919.jpeg
    IMG_0919.jpeg
    388.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0914.jpeg
    IMG_0914.jpeg
    488.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0915.jpeg
    IMG_0915.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 89
Congratulations on the bulls. Very nice. It took me 20years to pull a non-res moose tag. My area was in central Maine which isn't that great, but I managed to tag a nice bull that came in at 1,050 pounds.

We had a great hunt. Killed both bulls. The bull me and my younger son shot was 51" and dressed 818 lbs.
My older sons bull had a 45" spread. He boned his out in the woods and put the meat in game bags then on ice. It was an awesome week hunting with my two sons.
Got any Moose meat recipes?

Got any Moose meat recipes?
We cut both moose ourselves. I made 25 lbs of kielbasa that was good but not perfect. I need to use a different binder. I will make another batch tomorrow. Of course moose berger is a rock star. It makes the best tacos, chili, meatballs or anything else that needs berger.
IMO the inner loins are the best meats on the planet.

We cut both moose ourselves. I made 25 lbs of kielbasa that was good but not perfect. I need to use a different binder. I will make another batch tomorrow. Of course moose berger is a rock star. It makes the best tacos, chili, meatballs or anything else that needs berger.
IMO the inner loins are the best meats on the planet.
Making my mouth water