LRH Montana Prairie Dog and Rock Bustin Fest

MontanaRifleman

Are there any Montana LRH shooters that would be interested in doing a get together fo a weekend to shoot some prairie dogs and bust some rocks and possibly earn bonus points for any stray yote that might wander by?

I was thinking we could pick a centrally located spot and set up camp for 1 or 2 nights for a generally good time.

I think we should invite our out-of-state buds too if they want to participate. Who knows... this might get as big as Sturgis someday?:rolleyes:

Count me in. I can get 3-4 guys that would like to play. I have, tongue in cheek, mentioned having a get together in Kirby's neck of the woods for all the MT members. I like the idea of picking someplace central and seeing who shows up. We would have to pick an obscure campground that would not be full, or a piece of private ground that we could have permission to camp on in exchange for getting rid of the dogs.:D

Steve

I met out there last year with a couple of my Montana buds. We did just what you are talking about. It was a great time and we are planning to do it again this year. Keep me posted.

Jeff

My schedule is likely to busy, but if it happens to be along the eastern, especially southern part of the state, I may make it up for a day. That is if you can put up with someone from Wyoming.
If you put it together, please email me.
[email protected]

Cool, sounds like we got some good interest. I guess we need to figure out where and when.

I know of one good sized dog town that's probably about a half mile sqaure if my memory serves me well. It's on a ranch about a hour or so SE of Big Sandy, where I used to do some deer hunitng. They are a block management ranch and let me and a few friends shoot some dogs there a few years back. As far as camping, they didn't allow it during hunting season, but they might make an exception for this. One little detail to consider is, this location requires driving about 25 miles on a county road that turns to gumbo in the rain. It would require chains on all four to drive when wet.

Something in the Lewistown - Harlowtown - Roundup area would be most centrally located. It might be hard finding dog towns near camp grounds, so I'm thinking a private location or BLM/State Land.

Apr-May-Jun time frame is probably the best, also the most likely to rain. And spring bear season runs to May 15.

Let's hear some ideas gun)

Last edited:
I live south of Cody and am in Billings all the time. I would sure like to come up. I don't know the country up there so would depend on you guys to set it up. Would love to participate though and make a good camp trip out of it. I am retired so I am free any time.

We might be interested as well. We have a home about 1hr East of Great Falls and we are usually over there every month. Keep me in the loop. I know we are going to be there the first week of April and then again the first part of June.

LRH Montana Prairie Dog and Rock Bustin Fest - Update

Ok Guys... here's the latest. We will shoot for the 22-24 of May as our primary wekend with the following weekend (29-31) as our rain date. June and May (in that order) are our rainiest months, at least in this part of MT. But this time frame is also about the best for dog shootin'. When it rans in MT, many of the back county roads turn to gumbo and require chains on all 4 to navigate. Ranchers dont want folks driving through their pastures in wet conditions. Snow storms are also not unheard of this time of year. Having said that, good weather isn't uncommon either. I will make a decision by Thur evening, the 21st of May, based on the forecast.

I have gotten a list of ranchers names in the Roundup area that may let us camp and shoot and I'll be calling them this week. I may drive out that way in the next couple of months to do some scouting. If anyone else has any ideas or connections, PM me.

Looking forward to a great time meeting folks and putting faces to screen handles and swapping lies around the campfire :D

Cheers and good shooting, work up some good doggie loads gun)

Later,

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.