Low Power Scope Help - 2-10x ?

Hoss50

I am putting together a new rifle that will be my short/medium range thumper. I need a scope that will take some recoil but still be a nice optic. I also want to keep it under $1k if possible.

Rifle = Savage 110 Rechambered to 9.3x62. Depending on scope weight I expect it to be about 9lbs all in. Max real range is probably 300yrds. We hunt elk in areas that are usually sub 300yrds. If we go to areas with longer ranges I will bring something flatter shooting.

I like my Burris scopes, so the new Veracity PH seems interesting, as does the original Veracity in 2-10x. I am not a huge Vortex fan, but would consider it.

I am also torn on FFP or SFP. I prefer FFP as most of my scopes are going that way. I do have a SFP 2-12 Leupold that I really like though. I just don't like having to be at certain mags for the hold overs to work. I HATE duplex reticles.

What are your thoughts/options for scopes?

Doesn't sound like in this application (300 yards) that hold overs are needed. So SFP should be workable.

Lots of reticles, Leupold used to change them. I like the TMOA.

The 2-12X you have should be decent, I like the Mark 4 2.5-8X

The 9.3x62 isn't super aerodynamic, so hold overs or an MOA reticle would be nice.

Sighted in at 150yrds it will drop over 16" at 300yrds. 41" at 400 yards.

Which bullet are you using? Sounds like a nice rifle.
Not sure yet. I have some hornady 286gr I found on the shelf to load for break in. Thinking maybe hammer all copper or whatever the rifle likes.

I am still waiting on parts, but the barrel and stock arrived so I quick fit it Friday.

Attachments

• 20240510_165823.jpg
    20240510_165823.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 21
I still like a FFP in the 3-15 just because they are available and less than the similar quality 2-10. The new Mark 4 looked interesting.

I have Arken EPL for some "plinking rifles" and they seem to be treating me well.

For my 300 yard guns I am happy running a 1-8 LPVO and finding holdovers for 6 or 8 power. It's super easy to flip to 8, know I am good to go, and is plenty of magnifying power for 300 and in.

Why not one of these new Viper HDs 135 MOA adjustment on both windage and elevation, center dot illumination

Vortex Viper HD 2 - 10 x 42mm $600
I want to see 1 of these in person. My problem with Vortex stems from what I think is a problem with my eyes and their coatings. I have a Viper HSLR and Viper HD 15x binos. I have also seen this in a buddies strike eagle.

When I look thru the glass in high sunlight it gets very "milky" or what I describe as "over exposed". I am interested to see if this one is the same way. I don't have this same issue with my Burris Veracity or XTR 2 scopes.

I am also rethinking about the Nightforce SHV 3-10X. It is SFP though.

I still like a FFP in the 3-15 just because they are available and less than the similar quality 2-10. The new Mark 4 looked interesting.

I have Arken EPL for some "plinking rifles" and they seem to be treating me well.

For my 300 yard guns I am happy running a 1-8 LPVO and finding holdovers for 6 or 8 power. It's super easy to flip to 8, know I am good to go, and is plenty of magnifying power for 300 and in.
I have the Arken EPL4 4x16 scope, and I like it, but I am not sure I can trust it yet. I originally had it on a lighter 338 win mag and after about 30rds I got a blow of something floating in the reticle inside the scope. I sent it back and they sent me a new one. It is currently on a 6.5x55 so the recoil is alot less.

I like the Arken, but need to give it more time. Maybe they will come out with a scope in the 2-3x starting power soon.