Looking Someone That Can Machine A LH Rem 700 Ultimate Muzzleoader Action

Why not just get a LH Rem 700 SA action and glue in a single shot adapter? The UML action is just a single shot 308 bolt face action.

The stock UML breech plug is a piece of junk but if you want to use one any gunsmith should be able to set a barrel up to use one.

The problem with the stock breech plug is it's unsupported at the rear and cant handle pressure because of it. There is also some variance in the headspace with them which causes pressure problems too.

Would a single shot action work?Are adapters available?Other than that is that all I will need or will I have to make any other modification to bolt or anything else?

Sure but I don't think Remington ever made a LH single shot action unless it was a 40X at one point in time. A Remington 700 UML is just a single shot .308 bolt face stainless Remington 700 action engraved to say Remington Ultimate ML. Short of being a single shot the only difference in it and a standard Remington SA is that it's drilled and tapped on the side of the action to use peep sights. So any short action Remington can be used with a 308 bolt face if you want to use the factory breech plug and don't care about the peep sight holes.

This really isn't very hard stuff for a competent gunsmith. Personally I'd just get a prefit barrel from Hankins or Arrowhead and use their modules. Hankins has some newer modules that are tougher. Buy any short action Remington stock and stick it all together. You won't have the notch in the stock for the ramrod but it screws with accuracy anyway so there is no great loss there. You might have to open the stock slightly for the Remage nut but that is pretty simple for about anyone to do.

Do you have any recommendations on where to get a single shot adapter and action,and possibly who could put this together for me?

Luke at Arrowhead Sports or Hankins can do a build for you with a much better ignition system then the UML.

Yeah, I've never seen a single shot LH action. Just get a repeater LH action and put a follower in the mag well. As the guys above have said, a lot better options out there than the factory UML system.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts