• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Looking for some quality 30/06 Brass to resize to 338-06 (once fired)

ghay

As stated above I need a few dozen rounds of a quality brand of 30/06 to resize. Winchester, Lapua, Pedersen ADG or something along those lines (one or two times fired at the most). I'm also willing to trade so if you're looking for something feel free to ask...I might just have it:)
Thanks,
Gary

Gary, how do you like the 338-06? I'm considering building one or maybe a 35 whelen
I had one several years back and am amazed at what that round can do. I sold it years ago and wished I had kept it for plains game in Africa. I have bought another one and plan to take it to Namibia this summer. It will do everything I need it to do on anything up to Eland for sure. With the large array of 338 bullets available and my past experiences with it, I chose it over the Whelen.
I know that round is also a very good round but all-in the .338 seems like the optimal option for the 30/06 case in my view.

I agree with you, a friend of mine doesn't think you can get enough velocity to utilize current. 338 bullets but I just don't believe that, I'm almost certain that something like the 230 eldx would be perfect for that round

As stated above I need a few dozen rounds of a quality brand of 30/06 to resize. Winchester, Lapua, Pedersen ADG or something along those lines (one or two times fired at the most). I'm also willing to trade so if you're looking for something feel free to ask...I might just have it:)
Thanks,
Gary
I don't have high-end Brass, but I do have federal Remington and Winchester. I can send you just pay shipping.

Last edited:
Lots of factors involved but even out to 3-400 yds lots of good bullets will perform. A heavy Barnes TSX might not fully mushroom at 400 but I've also seen what a good sized solid will do to an animal. We just have to match the bullet to the expected range to make sure terminal velocity will get the desired expansion from our bullet.

All that said, most of the time we will probably max out at 250-300 with these guns. At 100-200, I would feel good about a heart-lung or high shoulder shot on anything but Elephant, Hippo and Buffalo.

My PH friends in Africa are huge fans of moderate speed with a penetrating bullet, A-Frames are the go-to and Barnes TTSX and TSX are not too far behind although they need a bit more speed.

I just sent you a list of brass that i have, including 95 pieces of Wincheter.

I converted my 35 Whelen to AI. I'm getting over 2800 fps with 225 gr Barnes bulets. You should be able to get another 200 fps with an AI conversion on the 338/06.

I'm also converting all my other hunting calibers from cup & core, to monos. I especially like those with petals that break off instead of bullets that mushroom. Everyone has heard of Hunter and Cutting Edge bullets. But there are a host of other companies that have bullets with much better ballistic coeffients. For example the Badlands Bulldozer 2 has a 200 gr bullet with a G1 of .595/G7 of .305. Their 225 gr bullet has a G1 of .665/G7 of .340.

Thanks for the input on those bullets and thoughts on the AI option. I'll certainly consider that.
I will get the rifle in this weekend and begin working up some loads to see how this barrel shoots. and go from there. It's a custom based on an older Sako action and a Shilen .270 barrel bored out to .338 and chambered .338-06. It's extremely well done from all appearances and must have cost the deceased owner a bundle. I've never owned a rebored barrel however and will re-barrel it if needed. I am an accuracy fanatic so am holding my breath on the barrel. I'm headed to Africa again this summer and plan to do a cull hunt for large plains game in Namibia and want to have this rig ready to roll by then.

Where did you send the list of brass? I don't see it anywhere. I'm going to be working up loads with previously fired brass then fire forming and fine-tuning final loads with the properly head-stamped brass due to requirements sometimes enforced by African customs officials.

How much do you need for your brass or did you outline prices on your listing?

I have been very happy with my 338-06 killed Whitetail deer,elk and mulies with it. I use 210 nosler partition. Let me know if finding cases come to a bust I have federal once fired rounds of you need some.

I have been very happy with my 338-06 killed Whitetail deer,elk and mulies with it. I use 210 nosler partition. Let me know if finding cases come to a bust I have federal once fired rounds of you need some.
Thank you! I think I have what I need located and am waiting for a reply to get them on their way but who knows until the deal is done?

How long have you been shooting your 338-06? I had one about 15 years ago and loved it. I'm looking forward to putting this new one through its paces.

Are you a bear guide? Where are you located?

I used some LC once fired brass for my .338-06 worked good, I just got done annealing a batch of LC67 once fired if that would float your boat.

I used some LC once fired brass for my .338-06 worked good, I just got done annealing a batch of LC67 once fired if that would float your boat.
Hi Eric,
I think I have what I need located but have to complete the arrangements. I'm not sure I know what LC stands for, Lake City maybe...I'm curious. Are these already reformed into 338/06's or 30/06's?

Thank you! I think I have what I need located and am waiting for a reply to get them on their way but who knows until the deal is done?

How long have you been shooting your 338-06? I had one about 15 years ago and loved it. I'm looking forward to putting this new one through its paces.

Are you a bear guide? Where are you located?
I have had my rifle 20 years maybe more wouldn't carry another. I used to bear guide in high school on the family property but since I moved away for a job and family it's to hard to make trips back home