Looking for a place to hunt cottontail rabbits

Hbb6601

As title states looking for a place to hunt cottontail rabbits. Used to have a few really good ranches to go in Montana where we would see hundreds in a few days, but they sold and are no longer available. Prefer Montana, Wyoming, or maybe Dakota's but open to other states. Looking to go in the winter time as we eat them, so anytime after first good snow….. Would love to combined with other hunt (birds, or open to other) but would also go for just rabbits.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like real fun. I knew a guy here in East GA that had a bunch of Beagles and had access to land that was holding cotton tails. Seem like him and his other hunting Buddie always go at least a dozen every time they went out. I was supposed to go with him, but he got a new job and we lost contact so I never got the chance.

Last edited:
Flandreau Santee Sioux Tribe (605) 997-5123 in Flandreau,SD. Think it was $50 bucks for license and no other South Dakota hunting license needed. Take along a couple kids, think they hunt for free. Could shoot ur weight in Cottontails, with a bit of snow on the ground. Pheasants are reason we went, they are off the chart, 25 bird liftoffs. The Indian lady at the license place, really nice people there.

Bummer, it's crazy how they cycle. Some years in Montana we would see hundreds in 2-3 days hunting haystacks, around stacked pipe, and rim rock areas. It would be good then drop off and take years to build back up. Really miss the great bunny hunting after a fresh snow early in the morning on a sunny day…..hard to beat. Also love eating them fried, grilled, baked, stewed, and in gumbo!