Looking at new presses

Patriot007: Thanks for that. I'll have to give it a try. I was thinking I needed the leverage of the long handle.
No, one thing about the Forster Co-Ax. Its more power than you will ever need. If the case will fit in it, you can size it.
The good thing is, if you need the extra power. It only takes a a few seconds to change it out.

I was looking into buying another press to use alongside a older Rockchucker Supreme I have. I searched the archives, and I see there are a few new players in the market. The Forster Co-Ax [tried and true] gets some rave reviews here, and the new RCBS Rebel looks very good.

Rather than bring up an old thread I thought I'd start from scratch. Any feedback is appreciated, especially opinons on the Rebel, I don't think it's in the hands of many reloaders yet. Thanks.
Did you ever decide on a press? I like the looks of the rebel as well and am having a hard time finding first hand experiences. Thanks

For precision loading of rifle rounds, the forster coax is great.
The amount of leverage vs physical effort required is very good.
If you don't need that leverage, put the short handle on it for that session.
If you want to load for pistol or quantity amounts, then I'd consider other presses.

I think I paid $300 3 years ago and I'm seeing prices of $600-700 now.

Have Rock Chucker for many years. Always wanting a co-ax. Finally bought one. Used it a bit, loved it. Then wondered why I needed two presses. Sold it. Missed it. Bought another one. Mounted it beside the RC. One day doing lots of sizing I accidently set a cart. on top of the co-ax jaws, pushed the cart. into the die. Now I had a cart stuck in the die. Now come the savior . I screwed the die with the stuck cart. in the RC press, raise the ram until almost touching cart. Then slip the shell holder across the end of the ram capturing the cart. at the same time. Lower the ram and. Pull the stuck cart. out. I still only need the Rcbs press but the co-ax is here to stay. It is a joy to use for small calibers and I use the RC for large cal. if I'm only loading 20 rds. or have to pull bullets with the RCBS collet bullet puller.

I currently have an old Lyman orange crusher. It works not the best it was well used when I got it and actually froze up. My dad has a rock chucker and I really like it. The Lyman doesn't seem to have near as good leverage as his rockchucker which really shows in resizing. But I'm looking for a little more clearance for loading 338 Lapua some day. That's why I am interested in the rebel. I have read and watched the reviews for co-ax and watched reloader guys press shootout. I just can't really justify the cost right now. I'm sure it works great but for some reason I don't think I'd like the shell holder on the co-ax. It's mostly just I'm used to the old style. I really appreciate everyone input and advice. I'm just not understanding the advantage of co-ax per cost compared to some others. And maybe it's something I'd greatly see if went ahead and got one. Once again thanks everyone

I currently have an old Lyman orange crusher. It works not the best it was well used when I got it and actually froze up. My dad has a rock chucker and I really like it. The Lyman doesn't seem to have near as good leverage as his rockchucker which really shows in resizing. But I'm looking for a little more clearance for loading 338 Lapua some day. That's why I am interested in the rebel. I have read and watched the reviews for co-ax and watched reloader guys press shootout. I just can't really justify the cost right now. I'm sure it works great but for some reason I don't think I'd like the shell holder on the co-ax. It's mostly just I'm used to the old style. I really appreciate everyone input and advice. I'm just not understanding the advantage of co-ax per cost compared to some others. And maybe it's something I'd greatly see if went ahead and got one. Once again thanks everyone
In the end game,, on press's,,, it comes down to what the Hart wants, and how much patients you have. This is the worst time in history to buy any thing dealing with guns and ammo, and Reloading Components/Equipment.
Patients young grass hopper, Patients. I see it this way. In a few weeks you may be able to buy one own line from your dealer of choice.,,, In a few months you will be able to buy one on eBay dirt cheap from the people that were scared into reloading because they couldn't buy factory ammo, and found out that Reloading wasn't for them. I also plan on capitalizing on some of the fairly used guns that will be dump also, by these gun buyers, and yes, I am looking at the brighter side of the satiation, just have patients.

Last edited:
In the end game,, on press's,,, it comes down to what the Hart wants, and how much patients you have. This is the worst time in history to buy any thing dealing with guns and ammo, and Reloading Components/Equipment.
Patients young grass hopper, Patients. I see it this way. In a few weeks you may be able to buy on own line from your dealer of choice.,,, In a few months you will be able to buy one on eBay dirt cheap from the people that were scared into reloading because they couldn't buy factory ammo, and found out that Reloading wasn't for them. I also plan on capitalizing on some of the fairly used guns that will be dump also buy these gun buyers, and yeas I am looking at the brighter side of the satiation, just have patients.
This is true, and one of the reasons I put buying another press on the back burner. After doing a lot of reading, and shopping around I discovered just how much prices have gone up over the past few years. It came down to want vs. need for me. Having two good fully functional presses I decided I didn't need one, and I could wait.

Patients young grass hopper, Patients. I see it this way. In a few weeks you may be able to buy on own line from your dealer of choice.,,, In a few months you will be able to buy one on eBay dirt cheap from the people that were scared into reloading because they couldn't buy factory ammo, and found out that Reloading wasn't for them. I also plan on capitalizing on some of the fairly used guns that will be dump also buy these gun buyers, and yeas I am looking at the brighter side of the satiation, just have patients.
You are exactly right. It's hard not to look at all the new toys. If things do take an up swing and go back to normal they're will be a lot of regret from people who are panic buying now and hopefully some good deals for the rest of us. It blows my mind how many people I have met locally talking about the ammo shortage so they're going to start making their own. They have no clue the shortage in reloading supplies and I don't even bother in trying to warn them they seem to all know something I don't. I take your words for inspiration I shall wait. The Lyman works

You are exactly right. It's hard not to look at all the new toys. If things do take an up swing and go back to normal they're will be a lot of regret from people who are panic buying now and hopefully some good deals for the rest of us. It blows my mind how many people I have met locally talking about the ammo shortage so they're going to start making their own. They have no clue the shortage in reloading supplies and I don't even bother in trying to warn them they seem to all know something I don't. I take your words for inspiration I shall wait. The Lyman works
If your press is not rickety," die head/block/Rings/Locks, Ram, Linkage, shell holders, & Cases/Powder/Primers etc.." I would buy a concentricity gauge and check my case neck run out and over all bullet run out. Then take a good hard look at my dies and My case prep technique before buying a new press. ("I would really look at my scales, real HARD") My 87 years young, "In 9 days" FIL is producing 223/6.5cm bullets all day long on a Lee 50BMGed Cast press, with less than a 0.0010 run out. It doesn't get any better than that, and I use a Forster Co-Ax. His groups at 100yds are less than 1/2", on good days. He has been reloading since his mid teens and has proven to me every day that you do not need the latest and greatest toys to achieve what's most important down range. "POI" The one thing, my Mentor, "FLI" has had a hard time teaching me, is PATIENTS. Some things you have to acquire on your own and that comes with time. After 2 decades with him, I must say it come easy for me, now. I consider it savoring the time and moment.
Just be Patient, and keep us posted.:) And Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.