Looking at buying one of these 3 muzzle loaders

Do you know when the 1:20 twist will come out?? I wish Knight had the .50 cal in a faster twist. I wish it had the 1:26 twist. I feel the 1:28 is a little to slow for some of the bullets. That's one reason I'm leaning towards the Remington also, with that twist and the range of powder you should be able to dial it in better. I have read where you are having gas cutting on the BP, which shys me away from it. The other pro with the UML is the price is cheaper, I've found them in the 700 dollar range compared to the 800 with the knight. There just isn't a lot of data on the Remington UML yet.

with a .45 cal do you shoot sabotless or with sabots?? I don't know anything about the .45s

The .50cal would probably be the best for new shooters, as there's so much available all over the place for the 50. Just stay completely away from powerbelt bullets. There are to many other good bullets with proven track records. If one can not use sabots where they hunt, the Thor bullet is an excellent choice. The Mountaineer is a nice rifle and the guys using it are extremely happy with them.

The .45's can be shot with or without sabots. When shooting sabotless, it will involve more work sizing bullets and include, in most cases, using a wad. Some guys are paper patching their bullets. However the guys are shooting saboted bullets too.

I think I'm just going to stick with a .50 cal Knight mountaineer, get my feet wet and comfortable with muzzle loading and then branch out to smokeless later on down the road, you can never have to many guns. I have a wife that bow hunts and I'm trying to get her to gun hunt with me also so in a couple years I can always pass it down to her or to my son if I decide to go smokeless. For now I feel more comfortable sticking with what I've tried and I'm not afraid of cleaning and if it shoots out to 150 yards I'm fine with that as most of my shots will be with in that range anyways hunting.

I think you will really enjoy that rifle. If I were in the market for a new muzzleloader today, it would be the Mountaineer or Ultra Light. I have 2 Disc Extremes and one Disc Elite' all 50 cal. and all converted to bare primer. If I do my part, all are capable of sub MOA 3 shot 100 yard groups. All have adjustable triggers set at 2 lbs. Over the past 10 years I've tried 777, Pyrodex and Shockey's American Gold and BH209 beats them all big time. It's easy to clean up and is very consistent; I weigh all my loads. I'm shooting Harvester's 300 and 260 gr PT Gold bullets, their black crush rib sabot and Winchester regular 209 primers. I use 110 gr. for the 300 and 100 gr for the 260. by volume, not weight. My personal limit is 200 yds. Remington shows a 14 inch drop at 300 yds. in their ads. Not my cup of tea even with a 300 Weatherby. Lots of helpful info on the web. Take a look at Vortex scopes before you buy. Lots of quality at a reasonable price. Enjoy.

No one at Doug's will hound you but they will give you straight answers to all your questions I have been on Doug's sight since day one. I have several in lines and Knight rifles are top of the line. I also own a Remington Ultimate. I only hunt with smoke less muzzle loaders any more there are several reasons but most of all you can shoot them often during the seasons and don't have to worry about corrosion and they are really accurate. I use 777 and every one complains of the crud ring I clean between each shot cause when hunting your first shot is out of a clean barrel. Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.