Longest Coyote Kill

950 yards inversion conditions no wind, .308, 175 gr. SMK Savage 10FCP-K Missed him on the first shot at a guestimated 600ish yards (normal partner was running late and he had the rangefinder). Normal partner was getting out of his pickup and heard the shot and ran out to where I was. I pointed out where the yote was sitting down, ranged at 950 dialed up, squeezed and the lil sucker fell over. Walked out to where it was and ranged back to new guy and it was 956 yards. Not a bad rifle for being freshly out of the box.

Hey, be nice to Atlas. Those are a praying man's pants! Seriously, I love that photo. Cutest little guy I've seen in a while!

I've taken 3 coyotes at 500 yards.

The first was on top of a hay bale in the neighbors field, first long range shot with my M700 22-250 & Burris FFII 4.5-14x42 with BAL PLEX RET. I leveled the bottom plex line on it's vitals allowing for about a 3MPH full value wind. The 50gr Berger flat base hit a bit high and severed the spine rendering my first 500 yards coyote outta commission!!

The next 2 were my very first double :D They were the trailing 2 coyotes in a bunch of 6 I called in on the windiest day I've ever went hunting on. Luckily I was shooting into the wind so didn't have to worry about wind, only elevation. First shot dropped the last coyote in line. It's sibling stopped to look at it when my second round hit a bit far back, but was enough to keep it from going anywhere until I could get close enough to take the finishing shot!! Same rifle/bullet combo on the double ;)

My son, Collin, shot one a few weeks ago at 817 yards. We used a range finder to measure it. He has a youth size Thompson Center that is a .223. He has a 2x7 scope and was kneeling and using shooting sticks. He regularly shoots them 300-400 yards.

My longest coyote kill this winter is 801 yds. Yote was broadside eating on a gut pile. Shot was made shooting from prone with a snowy mountain 260 rem 20" barrel suppressed.

Nice shooting on both counts! Have a photo of that .260, farmer? Sounds like a sweet set-up. :cool:

Nice shooting on both counts! Have a photo of that .260, farmer? Sounds like a sweet set-up. :cool:

Thanks here she is, the can is a tbac 30p-1 and shooting berger 130 vlds.

Attachments

• 902336_685968751427759_797011668_o.jpg
    902336_685968751427759_797011668_o.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 93
725. With 243 ai and 95 berger beat yet, but got a few things to use this winter and by next that should stretch that a bit

My longest was 378 yards shooting a Ruger m77 .243 with Bushnell 3200 3-9x50, 80 gr Nosler BT and 200 yards zero.. My dad is a cattle farmer so I watch over them pretty close in the spring when they are calving. About 7-8 seasons ago my wife and I were feeding while my folks were on vacation. As we are finishing up my oldest son (7 or8 at the time) says "Look at that coyote!" I look over my shoulder, nothing, so I go back to locking the gate. Then again he says "Right there!, LOOK!!" Again I don't see him, then my wife says "On the other side of the pond, what's that?" Sure enough it a coyote. I grab the rifle out of the truck and lay across the hood. I said "Dang I wonder how far that is?" Looking through the scope the whole time, then I hear her voice, "378". The coyote was sitting looking right at us. So I held on his nose and touched one off, BOOM, flop, center mass, dead coyote. My son was ecstatic to say the least. I'll never forget that day, one of my proudest moments in the woods and I got to enjoy it with my wife and son.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.