Long shot with 338 WM

I killed one in 2011 at 570, using the 250 Sierra Gameking, then another in 2012 at 440 with the same load. Both times the bullet performed well, good penetration, good expansion, no exit.

I've killed red stag (same as an elk) out to 800 using 225gn CEB Lazers and 300 Bergers. I prefer the Bergers and consider the.338win mag good to about 1000 for elk sized game with those bullets.

I've killed 2 bulls with a .338WM (Win. M70, Leupold 1.5x5 VXIII, 250gr NP) the longest shot was 30 yards and the short shot was 25 feet, you could say I had enough gun. Neither bull dropped where shot, both went 20 to 30 yards. I hiked into the Diamond Peak Wilderness before sunrise, and apparently chose a good spot to wait. Shot both bulls within 200 yards of each other 5 years apart. This is not much help to your question, but a fun memory.

Right at 250yds, used a Barnes 185 XLC, she stumbled once and fell, DRT. Bullet made a big hole all the way through. Held tight behind the shoulder, low, as she was up a steep ridge from me.

Shot a nice bull at 460 yards with the Hornady 250gr. That was over 15 years ago with a semi custom built on a Win M70 long action. frst shot dropped it in its tracks.

I also built a compact/lightweight 338wsm on a M70 short action and shot a 330" bull at 630 yards back in 2012. Was shooting the 210 TTSX. 1st shot through the heart and it hunched at the shot then tipped over without taking a step.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.