long range

working on getting all the steel collected. i found out this weekend that all the 3/8" steel i have collected is not going to work inside 350-375 yards. now i have to collect more 1/2" than i was expecting. i am also finishing up the permit for the land in north idaho. should hear from them soon.

i have the 3/8" mild. i am looking for the ar 500 or t1 in 1/2" and have been looking. unless i want to buy a new sheet of it it is hharder to find.

i have the 3/8" mild. i am looking for the ar 500 or t1 in 1/2" and have been looking. unless i want to buy a new sheet of it it is hharder to find.

OK, yeah 3/8" mild will be shot through with many calibers even at 1000. Ar 400 or 500 is the ticket, but expensive.

As far as rifle weight, I would not care what someone brought. If you are still doing this as a "field condition" shoot to resemble a "hunting scenario" they should all shoot off a bipod, pack or whatever they do in a hunting situation. I would not allow use of a bench , ledsled, or machine rest. One or two shots at each target to simulate hunting and a follow up. For a hunting type match it should come down to who knows their rifle, can shoot it, and read conditions for first round accuracy.

That my opinion anyway

Jeff

OK, yeah 3/8" mild will be shot through with many calibers even at 1000. Ar 400 or 500 is the ticket, but expensive.

As far as rifle weight, I would not care what someone brought. If you are still doing this as a "field condition" shoot to resemble a "hunting scenario" they should all shoot off a bipod, pack or whatever they do in a hunting situation. I would not allow use of a bench , ledsled, or machine rest. One or two shots at each target to simulate hunting and a follow up. For a hunting type match it should come down to who knows their rifle, can shoot it, and read conditions for first round accuracy.

That my opinion anyway

Jeff

it will be field conditions with no benches, lead sleds, machine, any of those fancy types of rests you may see at most competitions. it will be like you said from bipod, pack, off hand over a rock or tree just like you would in a real hunting scenario. this will all be specified in the rules when the flyer comes out. youre pretty much rite about who should take the match. thanks for asking

there has been a few questions about the partner topic, hope this answers yours?

i think what we will do is if/ when someone brings a partner they can shoot with them and all the singles that come without one will be put in for the random draw this way they will have a partner to spot and keep score for them and vise versa. there will be two people shooting at the same time with four firers on the line. there will be a team at the big game and then a team at the small game. one from each team will shoot then after they are done the others in that team will shoot. this way we dont have a lot of time used up switching people out on the line and we can keep a little order with the weapons and movements going on at the line. there will be a staff spotter per section (big, small game) that way there can be some extra eyes to aid the team spotter, they can also keep a good eye on the firers, course ect.

now you and dead eye jr. can shoot together and any other father son groups or buddies that come together can stay together and have fun. i wouldnt want to split up the father son or the two guys that always hunt together especially since i would like this to be as close to real life hunting scenario as possible.

Calib,
Will there be a Max caliber size?

chuck m

for small game yes it will be 6mm and smaller

for the big game your gun has to be legal hunting weight for the location of the shoot so for idaho it has to be under 16lbs loaded, washington is 15 lbs

what caliber are you planning to shoot?

we are getting our ar 500 steel
looks like we will have all ar 500 1/2" steel targets, just have to wait for them to be cut and then i can pick them up. that took one big obstacle out of my way. now i can focus more on the location and after that is done i will have the flyer all built up and ill be able to get it out to everyone thats interested.
i will probably have a way for people to register for the shoot prior to the match on the longrangeshooter.com website, where you will also be able to pay online if you would like to get it out of the way sooner than waiting for the day of the match.

for small game yes it will be 6mm and smaller

for the big game your gun has to be legal hunting weight for the location of the shoot so for idaho it has to be under 16lbs loaded, washington is 15 lbs

what caliber are you planning to shoot?

Looks like I better weigh some rifles. How far will the longest small game target be? So are you shoting in two different states? Please elaborate on the rifle weights, 15 or 16 lbs?

Jeff

Looks like I better weigh some rifles. How far will the longest small game target be? So are you shoting in two different states? Please elaborate on the rifle weights, 15 or 16 lbs?

Jeff
the small game will go out to 500 yards

not in two different states just havent pinned down the location yet so i put data on both of the possible states ( washington 15 lbs, idaho 16 lbs). and yes i will be abiding by the same rules everyone else will be. there will be no exceptions. once i get the location pinned down for sure the flyer will be made available with all rules, list of sponsors, course of fire, what people need to bring, directions to the event ect. ect.

Last edited:
Thanks, I will weigh my rifles. But I think this will probably eliminate me especially if you end up in WA. My 6 br and my 338 are both close to 16 lbs or could be over a bit. My 300 win is the rifle I was then going to use as it is only 12 lb. But now I see it is not legal for the small game. Oh well, I will wait for final rules and go from there.

Jeff

Thanks, I will weigh my rifles. But I think this will probably eliminate me especially if you end up in WA. My 6 br and my 338 are both close to 16 lbs or could be over a bit. My 300 win is the rifle I was then going to use as it is only 12 lb. But now I see it is not legal for the small game. Oh well, I will wait for final rules and go from there.

Jeff

you dont have any guns other than a 6br to shoot from 150 to 500 yards that weighs less then 15 possibly 16 lbs?

you dont have any guns other than a 6br to shoot from 150 to 500 yards that weighs less then 15 possibly 16 lbs?

Not that I would take to a competition. I do have an AR in 5.56 but 500 yards is stretching it as I shoot cheap factory in it. It's a truck gun for pasting yotes on the ranch. Then I have a 25-06 I havent shot in years and it is out. My 17 fireball and 17 HMR, I would not feel are good choices if wind came up, plus I do not usually shoot them that far, they are 17's.

My 3 "long Range" rigs are the 6 br, the 300 win and my 338 LM. I shoot these rifles all the time. All the others are dust collectors. These 3 will do eveything I want from 100 yars to a mile plus. MY wife is 5'2" and a small framed girl. She shoots the 6 br and uses it for antelope every year. But she shot her elk with the 338 LM @ 816 yards last year. I just am not a light rifle guy. When I am hiking in past 2 miles I take the 300 win. At 12 lb it is my light carry rifle.

I respect what you are doing for the shooting community putting on this shoot. Maybe I can come to help and watch.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts