Long range tuning and practicing

338Rocket

Anyone else do any long range shooting? My rule of thumb (borrowed from Cameron Hanes) is to practice to at least twice the distance that I would ever shoot an animal at. Most of my practice is done at 90-130 yards.

Taking it one step further, this year I started doing my final tuning at long range.

Here's a quick video.

Muzzy Trocar 100 grain on Easton Hexx arrows from 100 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfdlIwXGygs

I love shooting from 60-100 yds with my bow. makes my 20 yd shots seem like chip shots. shooting that far also verifies your tune on your equipment.

but don't not, not practice close range. I was amazed how you can goof up your close shot being over confident. dang hog had a lucky day...

I didn't shoot near as much this year as I normally do, but I try to practice into the 60-70 yards range. I cant get much further in the back yard but I only plan to shoot to about 30 in the field so its good enough. Ill work my way back in a shooting session then finish up with a couple at 20-25 yards. Feels like I'm standing right on top of the target!

I have a 120 yard range set up in my backyard. I can stay on my rinehart target pretty good at 120 but would never shoot at game that far. I shot my elk this year at 70 yards and my mule deer last year at 70. I wouldn't shoot at 80 or above if the wind is blowing too much. 80 yards is my max comfortable range in calm conditions. 120 yards is as far as I can go without lowering my sight so much that it will come into contact with my fletchings upon release.

I could get to around 140 and shot it all the time. Only way to make 60 seem like a chip shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.