long range shooting mat / rifle case any interest??

Roy,
You were right! I don't think 1/2" would be too heavy for a standard and yes,I will be looking for high density and light weight,something that doesn't get hard and brittle in cold weather.

What do you or others think about elastic cartridge loops to accomodate a large range of calibers with one end sewed shut(nothin' I hate more than cartridges pushing through to where you can't grab them)

Dave,
The two strap idea is awesome,I almost did that for mine but I was going to use it in a match and was kinda' in a hurry so I settled for one.

depending on the padding, it can be a real pain getting it pushed in, it workes a lot better to pull it through before the ends are sewed shut. I would prefer to just settle on one pad thickness but maybe I could offer it in two different thicknesses.( mine has 1/4" neoprene in the whole mat plus another 1/4" high density stuff under the leather patches)

Yes, I agree a carry handle on the top edge would be a must.
Thanks for the input.
308nate

buffalobob,
I'll have to think about that idea a bit at this point it may end up being problamatic as far as the velcro getting full of "stuff" after awhile and not staying shut and you only get so many hundreds of pulls out of velcro before it needs replacing.( I personally don't like things coming apart on me out in the field or padding bunching etc.. as the neoprene in mine is stitched to keep it from bunching.) If we could settle on one or two different padding thicknesses I would make it a lot less complicated.I am not closing my mind to the velco idea yet as I imagine there would be ways of doing it to protect the velcro from the grass and debris.

Mine will hold up to 54" so I don't think 2 more inches would be a problem.

308nate

I really appreciate all your comments and recomendations.
Here is what I'm thinking as of now..

OD green canvas

1/2" padding

the grey/tan colored non slip rubber elbow pads
The hidden pocket(works good for ear plugs, matches,range finders pistol etc..)

padded Ammo flap

Ammo loops possibly elastic loops with ends sewed shut to keep cases from pushing through or do yuo feel the canvas loops would be preffered. I personally prefer the canvas loops but I would probably only offer them in the .308 WIN.range of cartridge..give me some input in this area.

2 removable straps for backpacking

soft carring handle on the top side( placed like traditional gun case)

overall length before fold out flap 56" please give more input on this also. Are there any of you with shorter rifles that are not going to want this length?

I'm going to go for putting 12 of these together and yes, I will be helping my wife. We will try to get them done within the next 2 months. And I will keep you up to date on the progress.
308nate

308nate

Looks similar to an Eagle Industries HSRC: http://www.eagleindustries.com/MainProd.asp?scv=0
(if this link does not work, search HSRC on Eagle's page)

You can get the HSRC for about $230 usd. So It may not be worth your wife's time considering the hours of sewing it may require. The HSRC is made extemely heavy-duty with many inovative features. I would take a look at it and maybe borrow a few ideas, ie. Maybe a heavy zipper enclosure sealing the case shut preventiong dirt from getting in, and stopping any loose objects like brass, LRF's etc... from falling out. The elbow pads on the HSRC are made of some type of black rubbery stuff that is not slippery even when wet.
It is however, a nice case you have...good idea.

Bill Bailey and others that were interested in my shooting mat/case.
I thought I would update you with the progress. I have done a lot of research in materials and the foam and have since found and purchased everything but the elbow pads. I have not found just the right material make-up for this part of the mat and want to have everything just right before I let the first one go.
It looks like I am going to have to push this project into early spring and I'm sorry for the delay.but will post pixs and detailed make-up when I have some ready to go.

P.S Last Thursday I became a daddy again to a beautiful little girl. 8 lbs. 1 oz. born on her due date and in perfect health! What a blessing!
We named her Unity-Ann Faith.

Nate a huge congrats on your new addition !!
I'll try to get an E-mail out to you a a day or so about the other thing we were discussing , its not an issue , right now all you need to be worrying about is holding that baby
Cheers buddy ,I'll get an E-mail you to you in a bit

Having a new addition to the family will push alot more than the mat project back!! Being a parent sure takes alot of time and effort but it's worth every bit of it!!!!

Congrats on your new addition and just keep me posted on the mats. I haven't bought one yet as I'm planning on getting one of yours.

Nate ,

I am late to this party but I am also interested in your shooting case/mat . I also want to say GREAT!! about how God has blessed your household with a miracle in progress , Unity Faith .

Take your time with the shooting mat /case thing and let first things be first .
I would also look at getting a commitment for first run production with a deposit on the orders ( 50 % is reasonable )

The other thing is to take your prototype to some companies with the facilities to produce it and get quotes for say 100 units or so .

May the Lord bless you and yours , specially that new one Unity .

Oh yeah ! I would be a customer for two of them @ 200 $ each /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jim B.

Nate, congratulations on the new family addition!

I think your mat looks awsome. I have one question. Now I do realize that the name of the game is long range. But lets say you're packing your rifle in that on your back with two straps and out from that little dip in the land 75 yards steps out that 190 mulie you've been looking for.

How quickly do you think you could get your rifle out to get a shot at him?

Cheers, and congrats again.

slopeshunter,
In reality probably not quick enough.
scenerio where I hunt:
rolling hills and wide open spaces. When approaching enemy territory,have your gun out of the case/mat and be ready for that quick shot then when you have reached your long range shooting area you lay out your mat for the wait.
I would never approach a possible close range shot with my rifle in the case. We don't have a lot of trees for cover where I hunt and you can walk for very long stretches of time without a possible close range shot, so I guess what I'm trying to say is there is nothing magical about this case/mat, but it fits my style of hunting to a "T"

FWIW,
308nate

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.