Long Range Rock Chucks With A 223

Browninglover1

It's been a few years since I had a serious rock chuck hunt. Last Saturday we loaded up our backpacks with a bunch of rifles and ammo and headed into an area that's been known to have a few chucks. It didn't take long to find some chucks on the opposite hill and we unloaded our shooting gear.

I recently bought a TriggerCam and figured this hunt would be the perfect opportunity to field test it. I was using my custom 223 that's shooting 75 ELMD at just under 3k FPS and it's topped off with a Burris XTR III. The TriggerCam setup was fairly straight forward and I confirmed it was focused in fairly well before I started letting lead fly. I was definitely a little rusty, and the winds later in the day really kicked my butt, but we still managed to kill quite a few at distances from 550-1k yards.

I had a few that absorbed the 75 ELDM and wandered off before dying, but most were dead within seconds. The fun factor of a low recoiling rifle that is still deadly to 900 yards cannot be understated. It might become my all time favorite varmint gun if I keep having this much fun with it.

I linked a few videos below from some of the kill shots. The furthest one on video is the one that is also the most out of focus (it's the last link), but he was 881 yards away when he took his eternal nap.

Love long rang varminting with a fast twist 223 😍 I went 223, to briefly 22-250, to VERY briefly 22 Creed. 223 was old faithful... Might be my most consistent rifle I've ever had. 22-250 was scarily accurate but super thin barrel and I have the disease where I always want something new 🤣. 22 Creed I ordered way too heavy and got bored before I used it much. All shot the 75 Eld-m very well.

I think I'm coming full circle, and desperately need a centerfire .22 in my gun safe again. Planning on a 1-8" .223 threaded for my new suppressor. Something along the lines of a savage magnum contour and maybe 20" long. Eventually....

Have you tried the 80's or heavier in the 223? For years, I loved the 75's, but for the longer ranges out to 1k, I finally decided on the 80's for better wind control and energy.
I started with 75s since I have 2k of them. They actually did really well all things considered.

My biggest problem with my first 223 was HUGE ES swings. I'm talking 80-100FPS regardless of what I did. This newer barrel seems to be keeping them within 20-30 FPS over the chronograph but a few shots at chucks seemed to show I still have a few rounds that are fast/slow.

Love long rang varminting with a fast twist 223 😍 I went 223, to briefly 22-250, to VERY briefly 22 Creed. 223 was old faithful... Might be my most consistent rifle I've ever had. 22-250 was scarily accurate but super thin barrel and I have the disease where I always want something new 🤣. 22 Creed I ordered way too heavy and got bored before I used it much. All shot the 75 Eld-m very well.

I think I'm coming full circle, and desperately need a centerfire .22 in my gun safe again. Planning on a 1-8" .223 threaded for my new suppressor. Something along the lines of a savage magnum contour and maybe 20" long. Eventually....
I have a 26" 223, a 26" 22 Creedmoor, and am waiting on delivery of a 16.5" 22 Creedmoor.
The 26" 22 Creed is absolutely mind bending how flat it shoots. 80 grain VLD's at 3450+ is truly a sight to behold but I shot it side by side with my 223 this weekend and I have to say, the 223 was just a lot of fun. Not to mention the reduced noise, recoil, and cost make it hard to beat if a guy can only own one.

I have a 26" 223, a 26" 22 Creedmoor, and am waiting on delivery of a 16.5" 22 Creedmoor.
The 26" 22 Creed is absolutely mind bending how flat it shoots. 80 grain VLD's at 3450+ is truly a sight to behold but I shot it side by side with my 223 this weekend and I have to say, the 223 was just a lot of fun. Not to mention the reduced noise, recoil, and cost make it hard to beat if a guy can only own one.

I hear you! I have 3 rifles with 1/8tw in long throated 223 and AI versions and 22-250 and 22-250AI in fast twists, and while I keep the 22-250AI with 80's around 3,500fps, the 223's are hard to beat for sustained, pure shooting pleasure. Typically in the 223's, I push the 75's out of the 26" tubes in the 3k+ range, and the 80's at 2.950fps.

Yes! My last 22 Creed barrel was carbon, and I knew I'd cry torching rounds through it. With a 223 long strings of fire just don't make my wallet cry 🤣

I just watched the OP's videos.
All of them.
Again.
That's got to be so much fun. 😄

I have been wanting to extend my range by making my own ammo (due to my particular setup and location).
➔ A Corbin press is the way to go.
Since they are a bit pricey, it's on the top of my Christmas wish list.
But since that's still over half a year away... — maybe a used Corbin press will do the job?

Matthias

I just watched the OP's videos.
All of them.
Again.
That's got to be so much fun. 😄

I have been wanting to extend my range by making my own ammo (due to my particular setup and location).
➔ A Corbin press is the way to go.
Since they are a bit pricey, it's on the top of my Christmas wish list.
But since that's still over half a year away... — maybe a used Corbin press will do the job?

Matthias
I don't know much about Corbin presses; but a press will lasts multiple lifetimes. If you found a good used one, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Recent Posts