Long range hunting is gaining acceptance

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
My son gave me a recent print mag put out by Shooting Times. It is titled: "Ultimate Guide To Long Range Rifles"

It is full of articles on our sport's gear. The quality of the actual info is way below what we each share here on a weekly basis. But still it is good to see.

When you look at the explosion of "long range" factory offerings in rifles, scopes and accessories over the past several years it is encouraging.

Yuup ,i've noticed that a lot more people talk about longrange equipment and guns in the past several years.

The biggest most important piece of equipment to promote LRH is the computer....

Mike, you hit the nail right on the head with that computer comment!!

I am an "aspireing" long range hunter. I haven't made any spectacular shots on game yet, but I have learned sooo much in the past couple years because of the wide variety of really good information on this site and others that I have been reading. I recently subscribed to American rifleman magazine -- and to say the least -- I won't be renewing my subscription!! what a crock. magazines tend to sell and print what is trendy, and until recently, long range hunting hasn't been that popular.

What I am BS'ing with people about hunting and mention that I would really like to tag a deer at 5-600 yards, they look at me like I'm nutz. I explain that I am more confident taking a shot that is well aimed with everything (at least as much as I can think of) factored in at 600 yards that trying to take a 250 yard shot at a running deer ----- WHICH IT SEEMS EVERYONE AROUND HERE DOES! THis is how I look at it.... If I am reasonably confident that I can make a good kill, I'll take the shot, if not I won't. That is more than I can say for many people that will give me grief about trying to shoot at long range!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.