Long range hunting AR's

M5 aero precision upper lower ,jp BCG
superlative arms block , proof 22" plus 2" gas
260 rem. Nightforce nxs
2785 fps 130 gr berger vld

rifle is heavier than a bolt gun and the handguard sucks the heat out of your hand when it below freezing ,
but i love the very low recoil and can watch bullet impact on game.
i still use my bolt rifles a fair amount but this med range auto is fun on steel and deer sized game

I am using a Savage MSR Long Range in 6.5 Creedmoor. Topped with a US Burris XTR III. It has been extremely accurate out to 965 yards. I am going to switch out the stock trigger for a trigger tech, but the rest of the rife is a great starting point. The weight makes it a pack gun for sure! I haven't found a 140 or 143 factory load it doesn't like.

I didn't draw a goat tag this year, but my plan is to use my 6mm ARC for my next hunt. It is in no way a light rig, but it does shoot lights-out with every heavy bullet that I have tried so far. I will likely end up shooting either a Berger VLDH or the 103 ELDX.
My 6mm ARC AR.jpg

I built and SBR in 6.8 SPC and built a second upper for it with a 20" HBAR barrel that I've shot hogs with using factory Remington, as well as handloaded 110gr TSX and Accubonds.
I also have a 3rd upper in 30 AR w/heavy 20" HBAR barrel, that I've used for coyote and hogs shooting factory 150gr SP, and handloaded 130gr TSX with great success.
But the question as posed by others, what are you considering to be long range?
These uppers are ones I use when I am hunting and know the chance of getting multi animals is highly likely and want quick second and third shots on other animals. Some of those shots are close while others are 300yards plus. given the dawn and dusk and other conditions for these types of animals/hunts, I haven't had a need to shoot past 300 yards, but I know the guns are capable of it since I practice longer distance. BTW, I have 5 and/or 10 round mags I use in these guns when hunting with them.
All that said, when I hunt big game in the west, I always reach for one of my bolt guns because of their lighter weight.

I built and SBR in 6.8 SPC and built a second upper for it with a 20" HBAR barrel that I've shot hogs with using factory Remington, as well as handloaded 110gr TSX and Accubonds.
I also have a 3rd upper in 30 AR w/heavy 20" HBAR barrel, that I've used for coyote and hogs shooting factory 150gr SP, and handloaded 130gr TSX with great success.
But the question as posed by others, what are you considering to be long range?
These uppers are ones I use when I am hunting and know the chance of getting multi animals is highly likely and want quick second and third shots on other animals. Some of those shots are close while others are 300yards plus. given the dawn and dusk and other conditions for these types of animals/hunts, I haven't had a need to shoot past 300 yards, but I know the guns are capable of it since I practice longer distance. BTW, I have 5 and/or 10 round mags I use in these guns when hunting with them.
All that said, when I hunt big game in the west, I always reach for one of my bolt guns because of their lighter weight.
The 6.8spc2 is my favorite in the AR15 variety! I'm a 26cal fan, but sure love that spc! Thought about a 6.8-08/27-08/277fury for heavier rounds?

I have several. All custom builds by me. The 308 parent case calibers (a 308 and a 6.5CM) are built on the 2A Armament Xanthos Lite platform with Proof Research Carbon fiber barrels and Leupold glass. The mid-cals like 6ARC and 6.5 Grendel are built on the LWRC Six-8 platform which allows longer OALs and better magazine performance with Vortex glass.

What is your bullet/powder combination for your 24"? Not your actual load, I will develop that, just curious as which powder and bullet worked best for yours
I've run a couple with AA2520 and CFE223 with the old 75-80gr AMAX and ELD along with some 75 Bergers. Since I load long, I either single load or use a cutout modified mag with 5 shot capacity. However, I have had decent LR success with 69BTHP also, but of course, those are more drifty.

We['re going to need a few more details...I'm thinking about getting this gun for hogs and coyotes on the ranch.
I have not shot anything with it hunting yet. I'm using factory ammo and have used it on the range out to 1000. I am having an ejection issue at times. I need to call Seekins (they are extremely helpful) but have not had the time.

I have not shot anything with it hunting yet. I'm using factory ammo and have used it on the range out to 1000. I am having an ejection issue at times. I need to call Seekins (they are extremely helpful) but have not had the time.
What twist?

I have a jp in.308 it's not a lite gun but not overly heavy. have shot 8 inch plate out to about 800yds consistently have taken pigs with it but longest needed for that was only 286 with an acog but it's as accurate as the shooter so depending on scope and talent it will do whatever asked

I have a LaRue PredatAR in 308. Shoots anybody's 150s into 3/4" or less. Does not like the heavier bullets from my testing. I'd hoped to work up loads with 150 and 165 Hornady Interlocs this summer but have been too busy. This one has the 18" tube which limits velocity. I've taken several deer out to 300 or so but I don't hunt it much because of the weight, and I have other rifles that need to be bloodied. Long range rifle? Not sure. It has the inherent accuracy to reach out but I've got a bunch of rifles I'd reach for first if longer shots were on the menu.

I have a BRN-180 (short stroke piston) that I am working up a load using 60 gr V-max. I can get 3 round groups of .3 moa. I just slapped an arken 5 scope on it (5-25 mil)
gonna try coyotes out to about 600 if I can call them in somehow---
The gun outa be capable-----

Just did the group today (9-29-2023) at about dusk at 100 yds. about .3 moa. (5 rnds) Pretty impressive for a piston gun ! (which are not known for being as accurate as a traditional DI )

Attachments

• first arken group.jpg
    first arken group.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited: