Lion calling

Hunterbob, that is extremely close. Shoulda just pulled out the ole' hunting knife. :) Quite the exciting experience, thanks for sharing.

Hunterbob, that is extremely close. Shoulda just pulled out the ole' hunting knife. :) Quite the exciting experience, thanks for sharing.

LOL... Let me tell you, I still got that bleet call. Whenever I use it, I'm always watching for a Cat. I never heard him coming, the only thing I saw was movement and he landed beside me. It was all pea gravel around me, and I took the first shot into it, between him and I. I just wanted a little distance between us. His tail was straight up in the air running away and I don't beleive he saw me. He didn't know what ta heck happened, shell shocked I guess from the Blackhawk...LOL

Hunterbob-from the cats point of view what do you suppose he thought about dinner exploding, and his ears ringing. I remember talking to folks that participated in collaring elk calves years ago. A few incidents like this, and they learned to keep their head in swivel mode. How long did it take before you could laugh about it. LOL

After looking at those pictures, you can keep your lion calls. I have called in enough coyotes that knew exactly where I was, and I had no idea they were there, and they didn't want to eat me. LOL. Those are some impressive animals. What do they weigh in at? We don't have things that want to kill you in Maine, except mosquitos.

Hunterbob-from the cats point of view what do you suppose he thought about dinner exploding, and his ears ringing. I remember talking to folks that participated in collaring elk calves years ago. A few incidents like this, and they learned to keep their head in swivel mode. How long did it take before you could laugh about it. LOL

Oh , I didn't laugh right away for sure. Let say this, the way he came out of the brush he had to be running, because it was blurr, I caught in my pheriferal vision.
He never made a noise either. Now i always keep my knife where its an easy grab, because if a cat wants you, he'll be on you before you know he's there.
I saw one in south texas this year that was huge. I was on my way to an oil rigg in the middle of the night. After seeing that cat, I bought a nice case knife with a narrow blade 6" long.. LOL

Smallbutfierce,
The first pic is a 150 lb tom. He came in to the call which was behind me, my idea was if a cat came in it would come from the other way and the call would pull it past me. So much for that plan, the only reason I killed him is because when he left he walked past me on the right and into my field of view at about 75 yrds. My guess is he probably was within 30 yrds of me without me knowing. I now keep the call somewhat in my field of view.
The second cat was an old tom that was past his prime. We didn't get an actual weight but guessed him about 140 lbs. I don't know if you noticed but the cat has a radio collar. Fish and game said the cat was 8 or 9 yrs old. That time I had a partner with me and I set the call between us. He shot the cat at about 40 yrds.
The last pic is of a young 100 lb tom that came in to a similar set up as the second cat. That cat caught movement as my partner took the safety off and looked through the scope. He said the cat was trotting toward the call and when it saw the movement shifted course slightly and was coming right at him. His shot entered the cat at the base of it's lower right fang and into the mouth and through the cat lengthwise. The shot was at 30 yrds.

Snapshot_20120117_4.JPG

Alpinehunter, Here is the call, and in my other hand is my knife LOL , which is always exposed on my right side in the same place on belt, when I hunt. The sheath is one that you don't have to unsnap. The knife can be pulled out of it, even though its secured. Thats what i'm talkin about! I can laugh about that cat but not forget. :D I had a problem with a deer once too, but thats another story. Knife says made in USA, too.

I have had two friends call them in and make the shot. The first was turkey hunting, the other was calling coyotes and made his first stand and within 10 minutes shot one using a Foxpro rabbitt squealer. Not saying that they could not do it again but neither of them were hunting cats when it happened just got lucky and had the skill to pull it off when it did happen. I have called many times and never seen a cat doing it but that doesnt mean they are not there.

Alpinehunter

I just bought one of those camo ground blinds (Gorilla $125), for coyotes. It takes less than 5 minutes to set it up. The last 2 times I went out, didn't see anything, except part of that cougar behind a laydown, couldn't get a good shot, just a glimpse.
icon8.gif

This isn't the same cat I talked about in the other thread that sat down next to me LOL.
Called this one in with a rabbit call. It's the first time he showed himself to me. This critter growls about 3 or 4 times (short growls) and has done this on 2 other occasions where it didn't show itself. One of my partners had it happen to him in the same area last year. We found a tree scratched up in the area maybe starting from about four feet high. Never had this experience before....

I'm fixin to go this coming weekend again with a partner and he's going to stage himself down wind in a box stand 100 yards, and I'll call from upwind of him. The area has a lot of brush and the longest shot is 125 yds where the box stand sits. We saw a pack of yotes go through the edge there, a month ago and my partner missed the shot.
icon9.gif

So now we have smarter coyotes.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts