Lightweight optic for new build

I was in a similar boat and I went with the VX5 3-15. The glass is good and it's dialed true for me every time.

I am expanding my budget for the rifle I'm gathering parts for now, and taking more time than the last. I plan to step up to a March on that one. Not because I don't like the VX5, I'm just wanting more for that rifle.

I've been looking for a similar optic. I've the hold over deal at 500 and to me it is not ideal or very precise. Lots of guesswork. I settled on the SHV 3-10 and plan to unscrew the cap and dial beyond 300. May be able to do the same with trijicon if weight is very important.

I'd add the Nightforce SHV lineup to your google addled search.

300 WSM in a lightweight setup will be stout to downright obnoxious depending on bullet and charge.
I went Leupold VX-3HD Twilight firedot and 3.5-14x50mm.

I had a Vortex but while I loved the center dot, the illumination button didn't work well and no auto off function was a deal breaker for me. I actually liked the glass equally.

I've got a new build in progress and once again I've googled myself into a stupor for scope selection.

Rifle is a lightweight 6.5lb +/- 300WSM. I was originally planning to put a Vortex 4-16x44 HST I already have on it and I still may start there, but I think the quality of the build might require a higher quality optic.

I'm open to all suggestions within the following parameters;

22oz or less
SFP/MOA
MOA reticle w/ at least windage holds
mid range magnification (4-16, 3x15, etc)
parallax adjustment
exposed top turret
less than $1500 street price

So far I've looked at;

Vortex Razor LHT
Swaro Z5
Zeiss V4
Leupold VX5 HD

I've reviewed myself to death on the available options and would greatly appreciate any real world advice and information.
Pretty partial to my 3-15/4-20 VX5HD scopes. Light, clear and durable. One makes the cut $$$ wise, the other not. Ones under 20oz and the other is not.

I was very disappointed with the tracking on a vx5 HD 3-15 that I had originally bought for my havak 300 win mag. I replaced it with a nxs 2.5-10x42.

I went with the razor LHT for my second havak in 6.5 PRC. The LHT has exceeded all my expectations.

I recently scope a lightweight 25/06. I was going to stick with the LHT but wanted something a little lighter. The z5 3.5-18x44 Swarovski was about the lightest option out there. So far it's working out very well.

Attachments

• 1E5718BF-4600-48D0-8376-9E93D4FB2EE6.jpeg
    1E5718BF-4600-48D0-8376-9E93D4FB2EE6.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 40
Lots of good deals on Trijicon Credo's and a Tenmile on EuroOptic.com.
Shhhhhh, got 2 mounted and one in the shop just waiting! The only difference between the Tenmile and the Credo is dual illumination colors. The only difference between the HX and non HX is the exterior finish. The Credo at 599 is a steal!!!

Shhhhhh, got 2 mounted and one in the shop just waiting! The only difference between the Tenmile and the Credo is dual illumination colors. The only difference between the HX and non HX is the exterior finish. The Credo at 599 is a steal!!!
Where are you finding the 2.5-15 or 4-16 Credo scopes for 599.00 ? The 2.5-15/4-16 scopes both exceed the OPs "Lightweight" max weight and priced around 1000.00 retail. The 599.00 scopes are pretty much the lowest power scopes Trijicon offers.

Where are you finding the 2.5-15 or 4-16 Credo scopes for 599.00 ? The 2.5-15/4-16 scopes both exceed the OPs "Lightweight" max weight and priced around 1000.00 retail. The 599.00 scopes are pretty much the lowest power scopes Trijicon offers.
The "lower power scopes" are even cheaper, $519 I believe. I think back in the early part of the thread someone mentioned if he was willing to sacrifice 4-5 ounces he should look at the 4-16 models. Below are the scopes a few us were mentioning.

Credo MRAD

Credo MOA

Last edited:

Recent Posts