Lightweight Elk Rifle Build

-if weights a big concern get the Sendero Lite CF Proof barrel

-Optic wise im partial to the Leupold MK5's in the 3.6-18x42 / illuminated / H-59 or T3

-Find some NF ultra lite rings or Leupold Mk4 Alumunim rings

- I will say I've heard mixed reviews on running TI actions. Quite a big price jump, regardless who it is, steel to TI, but they're also More prone to Gaulling and in my experience the steel actions run smoother. you're not really saving a tremendous amount or weight. I know cause I was really wanting to run that LPA Fuzion TI on my elk rifle bur decided against the TI.

-also, If weight savings is your goal, don't get a nightforce. I love NF and have a few. But they're heavy so are the vVortex even the SHV's .Leupold' on the other hand are normally on the lighter side along with Khales. And they're great optics
-

Last edited:
I'm building a very similar rifle.

AnTi action w/ 20 moa rail
7 SAUM with a .195 throat for 180 vlds.
AG stock in the APR design
CF barrel 1:8, 20 inches and .750 at the muzzle running a TB Ultra 7
VX6-HD 3-18x44 in Hawkins rings.

The chamber will be cut to run the 180's out long.

I'd stick with the VX5. I don't see where the NF offers any advantage over the VX5.
Other than being bullet proof and perfect tracking….important if a) dialing for wind/elevation and/or b) mountain hunting and not wanting to worry about scope getting bumped hit fallen on etc and losing zero. All leupolds I've had sucked in both of these categories.

Other than being bullet proof and perfect tracking….important if a) dialing for wind/elevation and/or b) mountain hunting and not wanting to worry about scope getting bumped hit fallen on etc and losing zero. All leupolds I've had sucked in both of these categories.

What model Leupolds? The Mk5's/ 6's?

-if weights a big concern get the Sendero Lite CF Proof barrel

-Optic wise im partial to the Leupold MK5's in the 3.6-18x42 / illuminated / H-59 or T3

-Find some NF ultra lite rings or Leupold Mk4 Alumunim rings

- I will say I've heard mixed reviews on running TI actions. Quite a big price jump, regardless who it is, steel to TI, but they're also More prone to Gaulling and in my experience the steel actions run smoother. you're not really saving a tremendous amount or weight. I know cause I was really wanting to run that LPA Fuzion TI on my elk rifle bur decided against the TI.

-also, If weight savings is your goal, don't get a nightforce. I love NF and have a few. But they're heavy so are the vVortex even the SHV's .Leupold' on the other hand are normally on the lighter side along with Khales. And they're great optics
-
I know many guys running the LPA Fusions with zero issues. Mine is just as smooth or smoother than any action I've owned in the past from the first time I racked the action to present. Ive had defiance, surgeon, stiller, seekin, DT and LPA. Not knocking any of the above actions just saying gaulling has been no issue as is the smoothest action I have ever owned. The anti Ti is about the only action that competes with the fusion in weight and would be the only action I would consider other than the LPA on a light weight build but it has no integral rail.
Lets be honest light weight builds are expensive there is no way getting around it if your going custom, so a couple of hundred dollars premium for a LPA is a drop in the bucket when your spending $4K on your custom rifle before you even start talking about glass.
JMO

I know many guys running the LPA Fusions with zero issues. Mine is just as smooth or smoother than any action I've owned in the past from the first time I racked the action to present. Ive had defiance, surgeon, stiller, seekin, DT and LPA. Not knocking any of the above actions just saying gaulling has been no issue as is the smoothest action I have ever owned. The anti Ti is about the only action that competes with the fusion in weight and would be the only action I would consider other than the LPA on a light weight build but it has no integral rail.
Lets be honest light weight builds are expensive there is no way getting around it if your going custom, so a couple of hundred dollars premium for a LPA is a drop in the bucket when your spending $4K on your custom rifle before you even start talking about glass.
JMO

i get it Man. Good to know. yeah I've built a few myself as well and I'm in the middle of building a lightweight LR hunting rifle for myself and my daughter. Yeah, they ain't cheap. Carbon fiber, titanium get pricey. But it is what it is. if you go a. Drop big money on a build you may as welll built it the way tie want. I had my heart set on that LPA Ti Fusion too then I don't some taking to a few people , smiths etc In regards to titanium vs steel actions in general and I decided against it and went with steel.

lookin forward to seeing.this one once it's done .

Stan

You have to define smoothe and how that works for you. Loading a single shot into a rifle to take one shot, maybe a follow up. You aren't taking 10 shots on a clock.
I had a Razor Ti and it was just fine.

You have to define smoothe and how that works for you. Loading a single shot into a rifle to take one shot, maybe a follow up. You aren't taking 10 shots on a clock.
I had a Razor Ti and it was just fine.

I think we all understand what a smooth cycling action feels like. You can't get it to bind up even if your tried My Surgeon 591 and my Impact was like that. Like butter regardless if I was doing RBM drills or cycling single shots. Now I've put my hand on some other top tier actions that were nothing like that . If you like your TI action man and it works for you right on. I may get well still get my hands on one of the LPA Ti Fuzions one of these dayside stuff. Been lusting over that action from when them first out it up on they website .lol

Good point on shooting long strings on the clock, right tool for the right job. When I competed years ago I ran the 591, impossible to bind and still feel it one of the best actions on the market. It's great to be living in a time when there are so many great actions, barrels, triggers, glass and smiths. If I was still competing I would be using a steel action. I just hunt these days but still appreciate a precision custom rifle.
Good luck on your build @StanleyActual8541 I'm sure it will be awesome! Post it up when it's finished.

When I choose my Anti X action it was based on sourcing the action in time for me to get it, build it, and shoot it in time for hunting season. I looked at some of the Ti actions and price was only maybe $200 more than my nitrided Anti X. I sourced it much sooner. Not oppose to Ti, but in this instance the Anti was quicker to source. The weight difference was only a couple oz at most. The standard Anti is on par with a lot of Ti actions weight wise at 60-70% the price.

My coated Anti X is smooth. I wouldn't consider it as smooth as my BAT, but its definitely a fairly clean runner. The smoothest action I've ever run was actually a vintage unlimited BR rifle based on a M1917 Enfield for the 60's. Tight tolerances when cycling, NO, but it was smooth as glass. Just as smooth as a BAT if not Moreso and it wouldn't bind. Wouldnt doubt if it had 2-300k rounds down it by the time i shot it cause i knew the guy that built and shot it. Possible to make a lot of actions smooth, just depends on the work put into it. Most newer custom actions are pretty smooth.

On a side note about my original post here. I have everything I need to chamber up the rifle. Reamer arrives several weeks ago. Just been waiting to get my Harrison back.
29557.jpeg

Ways are ground and I think he said just need to fit cross slide and some misc stuff and put it back together. I'll repaint it when I get it back, but will be nice to get it back. Getting antsy with my Heavy 10, but I'm going to wait to chamber it on the Harrison.

Titanium actions aren't as smooth as steel. Just how it goes. You're talking steel on titanium. Vs steel on steel. Coating sill smooth them out some. But wears off.
I hold the same regards to smoothness whether I'm shooting 1 single round or 100 hot and fast. Smooth is smooth. And titanium isn't worth the money.
Compare apples to apples. Make sure you add in an optic rail and recoil lug. There's VERY little difference. Usually equates to $100 an ounce. Screw that lol!
I wanted them to feel good and be super smooth. I was ready and willing to spend the cash. Passed.
Luckily we are all allowed an opinion lol!