Leupold vx6 3x18 using Talley one piece ring base combo

Rckymtnshooter

I am putting a rifle together using a Remington long action. I am putting a Leupold vx6 3×18-44 scope on it and want to use the Talley one piece ring base combo. The Leupold does not have a lot of space on the tube for adjustment and am looking for first hand input on whether the standards will work or if I need the extended version. I was hoping to use the standard with the 20 moa option that is available through Midway. Doesn't look like the 20moa is offered in the extended version. Any input appreciated.

Here are a couple of pics that may help. I have the 3-18x50 installed on a short action with the eye relief set just right. The pics show a long action Rem 700 next to it. You can see where the scope base screws will end up relative to the scope on a long action. Looks to me like the rear mount will work fine but the front might be too far forward. Sorry its not more scientific but it should give you an idea.

8C2D79EA-4F11-43E6-B184-9D71D1033D2E.png

DFE0CD84-133D-470E-B494-6F6F22DB0D7B.png

I mounted a VX6 3-18x50 on my long action and I needed the extended rings and still would have used more rearward travel... that short tube is the biggest flaw with the VX6.

My VX6, 3-18x50 just broke today for the second time. I have sent less than 100 rounds since it was sent in and repaired. I'm wondering just how much recoil the scope can actually take.
Frustrating.....

My VX6, 3-18x50 just broke today for the second time. I have sent less than 100 rounds since it was sent in and repaired. I'm wondering just how much recoil the scope can actually take.
Frustrating.....

I had such good luck with my VX6 that I sold it to buy a VX6HD. I love this scope. But when you have to send them in for repairs it sure does **** you off. On top of that you begin to lose confidence in the scope. At least Leupold has a great warranty.

I had such good luck with my VX6 that I sold it to buy a VX6HD. I love this scope. But when you have to send them in for repairs it sure does **** you off. On top of that you begin to lose confidence in the scope. At least Leupold has a great warranty.

I have to give credit on the warranty. I've had numerous contacts with Leupold since I bought the scope, all of which they helped me with.
They offered me either a replacement with the HD, or a full refund. Of course I said I'd take the HD. However, it may take until April before I get it because of production. I have three shoots in May, so worse case, I'll pull the other VX6 I have on a .450 Bushmaster bolt to put on this rifle.
My rifle just tears up scopes and mounts. I tore a set of standard mounts up and replaced everything with Mark 4 15MOA mount and rings. I guess the Mark 4 will hold up, just the scope won't.

I saw several vx6HD available at my local Cabela's. I've had a 3-18x44 on order with Leupold since the end of January. I hope it doesn't take untill April. I have a brand new 6.5CM rifle and a ton of powder to burn up before deer season. I just pulled my NF 20moa unimount and mounted a set of the Talley Lightweight 20MOA. They are short action however. I saved a few ounces and some height. If I sell my unimount I can even save some money.

I saw several vx6HD available at my local Cabela's. I've had a 3-18x44 on order with Leupold since the end of January. I hope it doesn't take untill April. I have a brand new 6.5CM rifle and a ton of powder to burn up before deer season. I just pulled my NF 20moa unimount and mounted a set of the Talley Lightweight 20MOA. They are short action however. I saved a few ounces and some height. If I sell my unimount I can even save some money.

Hey, which Talley lightweight 20 MOA's are you talking about? Are you referring to a rail, or to the lightweight ring/base combo (two parts, each is a one piece ring and base)?

I had some of the lightweights milled by a smith, but it would be cool if talley was making direct that way. I need some more.

Last edited:
Talley now makes their lightweight mount (ring base combo) for remington 700 style actions. Midway has them.

Thanks for the info. I have a Vanguard action, which uses the same mounts as a rem 700. So I called Talley this morning and they told me, yeah, it will bolt up, but action length will be wrong so the cant will be off. Bummer. And they don't do it for any other action, so I am back to a custom solution.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.