Leupold vx-5HD or Zeiss Conquest V4

I have shot Nightforce nxs scopes. And Leopold scopes for many years. Recently purchased a vx-5 for my
Daughters 6.5 Creedmoor. An amazing scope. I compare the quality of glass to the nxs and the tracking is spot-on.

I have VX-5HD 3-15x44 and a V4 4-16x44 you won't regret either one.

That said the first custom dial for the Leupold is free after that $60 to $80 each.

The Ziess custom dial is third party and are $120 each.

I will say, having 3 zeiss conquest scopes of various lines, and 4 Leupies, the Zeiss glass is just a smidge clearer, by just a tad. And I have bad eyes, so I tend to notice the details like eye relief, etc.

If I had my druthers, dollar for dollar, I'd own more Zeiss. But the Leupold warranty is better, and I promise you, dealing with a German company with regards to warranty issues will never be as good as Leupold. German companies are more of the "materials and workmanship, and we mean that" companies. In other words, don't sent them an abused scope, even if it was an accident, and expect diddly.....

OTOH, as it is said, better to have a product that has a poor warranty and performs flawlessly than a product with a great warranty that never works quite right..... Just that there are lots of satisfied Leupy users out there too....

When I was working for the gun store I went through the online training program for Swarovski. In one of the modules they discussed warranty. Swarovski and Zeiss have a 10 year warrant on materials and workmanship.

The training material stated that Swarovski are made to last not be replaced. That's kind of a poke in the eye of every scope company that offers a free lifetime replacement no matter how old, how many owners or what happened to the scope.

If 10 years is all Swarovski and Zeiss has and something happens to the scope not only have you spent some premium dollars you are just out of luck if it fails. That failure could cost you your hunt.

I kept all of my Leupold scopes so if the other two fail after 10 years I'll have the Leupolds.

I had a Swarovski 5-25 that was originally mounted in Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts. It was removed and sent to my gunsmith to be mounted on a new build with Talley LW rings. The smith said that the parallax adjustment was binding and the scope wouldn't focus properly. My smith sent the scope to Swaro for repair. It came back with a $300 bill for replacement of the main tube. In that the scope was never misused or abused I was a bit annoyed at such heavy service charge and can't imagine why the tube needed to be replaced.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.