Leupold Scope Warranty Service

I figured I'd add an update since my scope came back today. This is the start of week week 11 since they received it. They claim they didn't find any defects and sent it back. They did replace the turret caps I couldn't be bothered to put back on before I sent it out the second time. I had no contact from them between the time I sent it off and it came back. I have 4 other identical scopes that don't have issues on nearly identical setups, one of those scopes is fine on the gun the defective scope came off of, and I checked all the mounting hardware multiple times before I sent it back so I don't believe there's no defects but whatever.

Vortex is the only other company I've sent a scope back to. In the end the problem was the Burris rings I was using, not the Vortex scope. They had it for about 2 weeks over Christmas and New Years, and when they found it wasn't defective I got a call from a tech and we had a nice chat about trouble shooting the issue once I got the scope back. Overall I'm much happier with Vortex's service, both in terms of the actual service and how frequently I have needed to use it.

I figured I'd add an update since my scope came back today. This is the start of week week 11 since they received it. They claim they didn't find any defects and sent it back. They did replace the turret caps I couldn't be bothered to put back on before I sent it out the second time. I had no contact from them between the time I sent it off and it came back. I have 4 other identical scopes that don't have issues on nearly identical setups, one of those scopes is fine on the gun the defective scope came off of, and I checked all the mounting hardware multiple times before I sent it back so I don't believe there's no defects but whatever.

Vortex is the only other company I've sent a scope back to. In the end the problem was the Burris rings I was using, not the Vortex scope. They had it for about 2 weeks over Christmas and New Years, and when they found it wasn't defective I got a call from a tech and we had a nice chat about trouble shooting the issue once I got the scope back. Overall I'm much happier with Vortex's service, both in terms of the actual service and how frequently I have needed to use it.
I had that happen with a 2-7 vx2 with them 20 years or so ago also. It doesn't mean there was nothing off in the scope, just nothing broken. It could have loosened up good like mine did. Taking it apart and putting it back together properly would fix the problem. The proof's in the puddin'. The only way to know if it's working fine is to put some pills on target.

I cannot imagine the treatment that would be needed to break multiple Leupold scopes in a relatively short time frame.
I'm not particularly mean to them but use them for what they were intended to be used for. I do get made fun of for my luck (or lack there of) by a few of my friends.😂 Things tend to break or go awry around me, no matter how prepared I get.
Yesterday I had a gentleman attend a LR class I teach that had a new MK4 (properly mounted & torqued). You had to tap the turrets somewhat firmly for the reticle to move after making an adjustment. I told him to take it home and break it in by twisting the turrets several dozen times (actually what Leupold would tell you to do to a new scope). Told him that if it happens again after that it needs to go back. But honestly my opinion is you shouldn't have to tap the thing to function, not with a modern designed scope like this.

In helping with an estate a dozen years ago, purchased poorly maintained Remington 700 in .243 and Savage 22LR both had Leupold scopes. (Local pawn shop had offered 50 and 20 bucks respectively.) I was not unkind with my fair market value given. The granddaughter said Gee-Pops complained he hadn't shot in years. Both scopes were full of dust, foggy, and in overall bad shape, one far worse than the other. Called Leupold CS to inquired about rehab fees, nice lady said no fee and sent separate free shipping labels. And explained, "we will evaluate and call you in 18 days!"
17 days later, CS lady called, "One has finished repair, in QC and will ship in a week (& it did & is fantastic). Now the other one is a 3.96 power, very old and we no longer have parts. Would you mind <really>, if we sent you a new one? Closest we can come in fixed power is series..." Not being familiar with that series I looked it up and they had several powers listed all at same MSRP. Called CS and asked if they minded treating me with a 6 power. (50/50 bench 22LR Sporter rifle class max power 6.5) "Sure that's fine" A week later a brand new 6 power scope arrived.
I have been most pleased with Leupold products and their Customer Service. I had and have several, and that has been the only need for their CS.
I had the same experience with an old 3X with a post reticle. Let me pick a replacement from the custom shop, which I think is now closed. I will always be a fan.

Tapping the turrets after an adjustment used to be common practice. Also going past the amount of adjustment one needed and then coming back. Most scopes did not have "clicks" so adjusting was at best a guess. Now we have the wonderful 1/4 min or 1/10 mil click that mostly work. The newer MK 5 scopes seem to be an improvement. The old T10 steel tube Weavers spoiled me.

I spent over $300.00 on a Leupold rangefinder and when it failed to operate properly I called them and their tech told me, they don't fix them and can't replace it. That's when I was done with Leupold. VORTEX is my go to for all my optic needs, they stand behind everything for the life of there products. No!, I don't work for Vortex.
I

Tapping the turrets after an adjustment used to be common practice. Also going past the amount of adjustment one needed and then coming back. Most scopes did not have "clicks" so adjusting was at best a guess. Now we have the wonderful 1/4 min or 1/10 mil click that mostly work. The newer MK 5 scopes seem to be an improvement. The old T10 steel tube Weavers spoiled me.
Yes, that was taught to me in sniper school several years back. The Army still has it in the curriculum for at least the M68 CCO, don't remember it being in current ACOG but haven't seen that taught in a few years. New, current design, $1300 tactical riflescopes should not have to be beaten into submission. 😂 I know these new MK4's are getting pretty popular, actually a nice evolution of the scope. However I've played with 2 and that makes the odds 50/50…take that as you may.
You guys can think what you will. I'm just giving my personal experiences, and I've had lots. I really want to like the MK5 & new MK4, there is a lot to like about them.

Last edited:
I spent over $300.00 on a Leupold rangefinder and when it failed to operate properly I called them and their tech told me, they don't fix them and can't replace it. That's when I was done with Leupold. VORTEX is my go to for all my optic needs, they stand behind everything for the life of there products. No!, I don't work for Vortex.
I
The they have changed their policy.

I had a TBR1000 that I sent in and they replaced it.

Vortex replaces stuff because it is cheap and they get a lot of practice..

Well... I had a VX-5HD that went wacky so sent it to Leupold for repair.
They immediately sent back an RMA number to return for repair.
Upon arrival I received an email saying expect 8 weeks for the repair or reply.

Not throwing rocks!... Understand this!...I'm completely OK with that if they repair or replace it since it's not needed for some time and I know Leupold will stand behind their product!

Anyhow... I'm wandering what your service times have been with Leupold.
I have a couple of friends who have sent scopes back and had communication with Leupold CS or returned within 2 weeks.
I guess times have changed with everything and this should come as no surprise.

Just curious...
Thanks
The message I got from them was they were behind and had some factory problems I'm thinking they said damaged to a building I had sent vx3 back that wouldn't hold adjustment

I've used Leupold scopes for 60+ years and never had a single problem. I currently have six Leupolds on rifles and on my way to shoot two of them today. This thread has me wondering about the quality issues many are reporting.

I have to agree with yall this morning. I have 7 Leu's with perfect service. I have many different models up to MK4. About 15 years ago I did have a VX3 given to me that had a broken tube from a nasty fall. I sent it in and within 4 weeks had it back. Love every one of them.

Used to have several dealings with Leupold service department. Well trained busy department. However after 3 reticle failures very cautious with any manufactures builds with wires.