Leupold Scope Warranty Service

In helping with an estate a dozen years ago, purchased poorly maintained Remington 700 in .243 and Savage 22LR both had Leupold scopes. (Local pawn shop had offered 50 and 20 bucks respectively.) I was not unkind with my fair market value given. The granddaughter said Gee-Pops complained he hadn't shot in years. Both scopes were full of dust, foggy, and in overall bad shape, one far worse than the other. Called Leupold CS to inquired about rehab fees, nice lady said no fee and sent separate free shipping labels. And explained, "we will evaluate and call you in 18 days!"
17 days later, CS lady called, "One has finished repair, in QC and will ship in a week (& it did & is fantastic). Now the other one is a 3.96 power, very old and we no longer have parts. Would you mind <really>, if we sent you a new one? Closest we can come in fixed power is series..." Not being familiar with that series I looked it up and they had several powers listed all at same MSRP. Called CS and asked if they minded treating me with a 6 power. (50/50 bench 22LR Sporter rifle class max power 6.5) "Sure that's fine" A week later a brand new 6 power scope arrived.
I have been most pleased with Leupold products and their Customer Service. I had and have several, and that has been the only need for their CS.

Sent a 2x7 that had been on my 375 for a number of years and the adjustments quit working, they sent me a new freedom 2x7. Probably a better scope but the mat finish is not as appealing as the high gloss on the older scope. I have a 6x40 that needs to go back but since it is one of the great scopes they no longer make and it kinda works I am reluctant to send it.

Well... I had a VX-5HD that went wacky so sent it to Leupold for repair.
They immediately sent back an RMA number to return for repair.
Upon arrival I received an email saying expect 8 weeks for the repair or reply.

Not throwing rocks!... Understand this!...I'm completely OK with that if they repair or replace it since it's not needed for some time and I know Leupold will stand behind their product!

Anyhow... I'm wandering what your service times have been with Leupold.
I have a couple of friends who have sent scopes back and had communication with Leupold CS or returned within 2 weeks.
I guess times have changed with everything and this should come as no surprise.

Just curious...
Thanks
Mine was less than that but still a while. I think it was 5. Their excuse was getting behind when the shop shut down due to a flood or something. Not ideal for anyone but they took care of me and I am grateful. I'm pretty sure the scope issue was my fault when I fell on it. It was a very hard hit. Scope is back on and tracking beautifully

Hey Fellers, any rifle I depend on has a Night Force on it since about 10 years ago, got tired of sending Leupold back for repair. Only rifles we use that have Leupolds still on them are the prairie dog guns. We carry the repaired ones as spares and change them out if one quits. As far as the service goes it's pretty good, I don't even call them anymore. Just box it up with a note telling them what's wrong and send it to them, 3 or 4 weeks later it comes back with a note saying what was wrong and life goes on.... John

Just another story that confirms my choice to switch to exclusively Nightforce.
Once a scope fails me I no longer trust it, and when I get it repaired or replaced it has to go. I have had two NightForce NXS and they were the most dependable scopes I've owned. The military guys I know that are funded well enough to use NightForce don't seem to experience failures like I did with Leupold. I know of one instance where someone I know (a civilian friend) had an issue with his NXS. It was repaired and hasn't had issues since, and that was well over a decade back.
The two Leupolds riflescopes I seen the least issues with were the M3 Ultras (original MK4 10x) on our then issued M24's, and the 4.5-14 MK4's on (believe it or not) our M82A1/M107 Barretts .50 Cal LRSR.
I just sold my new in the box MK5 so I can save a bit and get an ATACR. If it fails I'll probably just quit all together!😂

Added: I will give them credit for the toughness of the MK4 spotting scopes. The one I used operationally in Iraq in late '06 to early '08 was basically tortured and never missed a beat. It seemed like every week some dip-sheet picked it up (& shouldn't have) and dropped it. One idiot even picked it up and set it down in front of a HMMWV (hummer) and ran it over on gravel.🤬🤬🤬 It just scratched the outside. Didn't have many issues with those in units or at the schoolhouse.

Last edited:
Well... I had a VX-5HD that went wacky so sent it to Leupold for repair.
They immediately sent back an RMA number to return for repair.
Upon arrival I received an email saying expect 8 weeks for the repair or reply.

Not throwing rocks!... Understand this!...I'm completely OK with that if they repair or replace it since it's not needed for some time and I know Leupold will stand behind their product!

Anyhow... I'm wandering what your service times have been with Leupold.
I have a couple of friends who have sent scopes back and had communication with Leupold CS or returned within 2 weeks.
I guess times have changed with everything and this should come as no surprise.

Just curious...
Thanks
The rubber eye guard on the eye piece of my VX6 scope was damaged somehow. I sent an email to Leupold customer support and I received a reply in the same day stating that a replacement part will be on its way in the near future. I received the part within a few days. Very happy with their response. Honestly, I am very pleased with the Leupold customer support.

It's been well over a decade since I've had a Leupold on a rifle.....there was a time when I had close to 100 on rifles I owned many on rifles over 338 caliber even a few 50 caliber....
When they were my preferred scope I had at least 6 new or repaired sitting on the shelve ready for the switch....always when going on a hunting trip would have an extra sighted in to go with me....at least once a year 4-6 scopes were sent back to Leupold to be repaired....
One thing I found with a Leupold they will not last long dialing them....if you sight them in and don't touch them they could live a long life....

The last one I sent in was about a yr ago it took 2-3 weeks if i remember right.
Last elk season in Idaho going up a very steep and rocky trail on my Rokon with my custom 6.5 SAUM strapped on my backpack on the rear carrier I wiped out three times hitting the ground pretty hard each time. My heart sank as I was sure my Leopoldo Mark V zero was probably wasted. When I subsequently test fired a five shot group it was still roughly 1/2 MOA! So impressed!

I learned rangefinders are not covered!! I sent one back 3 or 4 years ago when the display went south. I got an e mail back saying the rangefinder was not covered under their warranty, but that they would ship a new model (upgrade) that was significantly better than the one I sent to them for repair at a very favorable cost. I replied back that that was acceptable as the new models had features that I liked. when I received the replacement, the bill attached was as much or more than what I could purchase the new model for at multiple retail stores here in Reno. I have probably 15 of their scopes on my rifles and slowly swapping out older models for newer ones when I can get favorable prices on the internet. I have had minor issues with many regarding tracking issues, but once sighted in, they have held zero perfectly on hunts. But, I have found the 30 MM tubes to be helpful for my 70+ year old eyes.

I own several Leupold scopes- grew up using them on my squirrel rifles. Had to buy used scopes back then because money was tight, with college and all ( car). In recent years I would get the CS dials set up for whichever rifle/load I was using- and turnaround was always great. I also own 2 NF scopes, and love them too. As long as my Leupold scopes continue to give me satisfaction of performing as expected, I'll always use them. JMO

Yeah. It does. Unfortunately they make what I have found to be the least bad handgun scope for single shots so I'm stuck with them. The day someone comes out with a LER scope that has decent glass and some option for an exposed turret they're gone. I'm trying to work something out with a manufacturer in China. I've found a few that'll make what I want, but they're unwilling to sell me a few as a sample before I order 10 or 15.
I wouldn't buy anything made in China, even if I had to buy something of lesser quality made somewhere else in the world.

Just another story that confirms my choice to switch to exclusively Nightforce.
Bought a brand new Nightforce and after several shots I stirred up the dust inside the scope which gave me some extra dots on the reticle. Took several weeks just to get a return authorization and another 4 to get the scope back. No company is perfect.

On the other hand I decided to test out a vortex spotting scope for a season, night before opening day the scope fell out of my pack as I was getting out of the truck, and was subsequently ran over. Called vortex and the sent a new replacement over night to the nearest stocking dealer for me to go pick up. I'm very thankful for their customer support and the fact it wasn't my leupold or Swaro with tire tracks on it.