Leupold Reticle Recommendations

So I just updated all of my hunting scopes and I really like the wind plex the best

Attachments

• 135A46E7-D42A-4841-98C4-64B35FF3D445.jpeg
    135A46E7-D42A-4841-98C4-64B35FF3D445.jpeg
    903.7 KB · Views: 180
All my 6 or 7 Leupold VX 3 hunting scopes have the duplex. I love them. All my Leupold target scopes have 1/8 target dots. I had a two reticle changes done by Leupold .Very easy, $75.00!!! I had a 1/2 dot changed to 1/8 target dot on a 12 X . Had a VX 2 3x9 with Fine Cross Hairs changed to Duplex. No Problem to make the changes.

I own a vx6hd on my 300 win mag and have 2 vx5hd on other rifles. I prefer a simple, uncluttered reticle when hunting. That is why i chose the firedot duplex for all 3. The crosshairs are proportioned well for shooting at distance. I have had the boone & crockett reticle, but it is not caliber or velocity specific, so I found it to be disappointing in the accuracy department.

Hello all,

I'm looking for recommendations for reticle for a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 to mount on a 300 win mag (Duplex, Windplex, HTMR, Illum FireDot Duplex, Boone & Crocket, Impact -29 MOA. I'm only looking for hunting purposes (elk) and anticipate a variety of shooting ranges from up close out to 400-500 yards. As someone that grew up on simple cross hairs, I'd appreciate and thoughts on which reticles may be most beneficial for hunting. While the CDS sounds nice, I can imagine there may not always be time to dial in the range. Thanks to anyone for taking the time to respond.

Roger.
Depends on the type of shooting you are doing and what distances you plan to engage. What is your range of confidence on steel and game?

For a hunter, understanding your rifle/ammo Max Point Blank Range is the most import thing IMO. Let's say your Max PBR is 250y for a 8in kill zone. Meaning with the ammo you chose the bullet will always impact inside that kill zone if you center or even slightly off center of that 8in kill zone. Beyond that the rule is never let the crosshairs leave the hair. The highest holdover you should have on an animal is top of the back, knowing it will drop into the kill zone. The reticle matters very little at this point as long as you can see it.
For longer range shots that force you dial or hold over choose a reticle that uses appropriate sub tensions and then learn them so there is not a lot of thinking. Again on game at extended ranges that requires young to dial up the correct amount of MOA or Mils never let the crosshairs leave the hair, send it. At ranges beyond 300y it is likely you will have plenty time to dial scope elevation and windage. On steel unless under competition times you will have time as well. Learn the elevation calls for everything from 300-700 in increments of 25y or 50y then make those shots on steel in various Directions of Fire, temps and altitudes if possible because it will change.
Use a ballistic calculator and make a table you can rely on.
Just my 2cents.

I used the B&C for many years with a 200yd zero. Shot animals to 500yds - never missed. Has a bold crosshairs for low light and quick close shots. Use the Impact on all my long range and varmint rigs - no dialing and 29 moa will take you out to a 1k easy. Don't like the CDS dials with no lock or zero stop. Love the ZL dials. Punched a tag on a nice 6pt elk this year using a VX6 with the TMOA at 524yards.Didn't have time to dial held 5moa high on the shoulder. DRT with my 338x28 Nosler.

Hello all,

I'm looking for recommendations for reticle for a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 to mount on a 300 win mag (Duplex, Windplex, HTMR, Illum FireDot Duplex, Boone & Crocket, Impact -29 MOA. I'm only looking for hunting purposes (elk) and anticipate a variety of shooting ranges from up close out to 400-500 yards. As someone that grew up on simple cross hairs, I'd appreciate and thoughts on which reticles may be most beneficial for hunting. While the CDS sounds nice, I can imagine there may not always be time to dial in the range. Thanks to anyone for taking the time to respond.

Roger.
I'm sure you're going to get responses favoring all of them.. but I'll play anyway.

Wind plex is my favorite for hunting. Dial for distance, hold for wind. You have a very clean but functional reticle. The reticle doesn't block much at all. When buck fever sets in, the last thing I want to think about is how to use the reticle. I want it to be as simple as possible.

My favorite is the German P4 or the old Weaver post and crosshair. I just mounted a Burris German P4 on my 742 Remington 30-06 and love it.
1618076514361.png

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts