Leupold 2x7 - Rifleman Shotgun vs. VXI Shotgun?

adam246

I just got an 20 gauge H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Compact shotgun for my wife and I'm trying to decide between a Leupold 2x7 - Rifleman Shotgun scope or a Leupold VXI Shotgun scope in a 2-7 or even a 1-4?

Any advice would be appreciated -- not sure what the differences would be -- pricing is all about the same ($199 to about $209). I'm sure either would fit the bill nicely - just curious what the differences or +'s/-'s would be between the models.

Thanks very much for your input!

I wondered the same question and wrote to leupold to ask and this is what they said.

The main differences are that the VX-I uses a 1/4 MOA and the rifleman uses 1/2 MOA.The reticle for the VX-I is the LR duplex and the rifleman uses a wide duplex.The rifleman cannot have any custom shop changes made to it,however the VX-I can.

I have a VX-I 2x7 on my 12 guage H&R and really like it.I just bought a H&R 20 guage and have a VX-I 3X9 on that but have not shot it yet. Hope this helps..

Thanks -- now as I'm looking around more I'm thinking more about a Bushnell Elite 3200 2x7 or Nikon Slughunter 1.65x5.

Decisions, decisions.

Whatever scope you get. I would get the heaviest crosshair pssible. issues I ran into were not be able to see the crosshairs at the last few minute of the hunt when you need it most. I'm from jersey the deer pressure state of the world it seems like. these deer just dont come out till last second. I've had leupolds and didnt care for any of them. Having owed 4 of them on alost ever gun I had. I ended up going to a Swarovski PH. 3x12x50. They are alot of money, but when its still leagal shooting hrs and your in the woods at the last few mintues it can get dark for the scope. with the Swarovki. You increase the power to about 4 or 5 and you'll can see the cross hairs and your deer. i could not do this with leupold and they have cost me a lot of oppertunitys. I sold them all. In my opoin the cheaper scope was really more expensive. It cost me about 4 deer and a hog. Over $5,000.00 in outtastate hunts and I came back empty cause I couldn't get an animal that I seen with my eyes in my scope. Swarovski has went to their new line of american style crosshairs in the second focal plane. I dont like them. Schmidt and bender are excellent, You can find some of these scopes used and save a good chunk of change.

Happy Huntinggun)

I have the leupold VX-I 2X7 on my 12 guage and it is excellent in low light.If it is to dark to see through that scope then it is to dark to shoot period.

You are right. If it is to dark to see through that scope then it is to dark to shoot period. That is something I never had to say when I bought my Swarovski. Can't see you can't hunt. Thats the diffence.gun)

take a good look at the Leupold Ultimateslam also. I just got a 2-7x33 for my 20ga slug gun and love it. They have alot more eye relief which is a good thing on a shotgun(over 4"). Even though it is only a 33mm bell it has a surprisingly large field of view. And as usual the glass is excellent(clear and bright).

They also have a ballistic reticle that has drops for out to 300 yards(settings for 12ga, 20ga, and ML). While testing with mine I zeroed it at 100, then used the reticle to hit a 15" round gong at 300yds. Has me pretty excited for deer season this year.

They also make this model in a 3-9x40.

I recently looked at both of the scopes and decided on the VX-I. I thought the glass was much better than the Rifleman and it's not much more money.

I have a leupold vx-II 2-7x on my muzzleloader, a Nikon shotgun 2-7x on my slug gun (purchased because they were out of leupolds at Scheels and I was impatient but couldn't be happier), and my dad replaced a red dot with a leupold shotgun vx-II 2-7x on his slug gun. I don't think you can go wrong with leupold and I agree with the earlier comment that the thicker crosshairs are better. Since my father switched to a leupold he has been lights out on deer. You should check the mounts, rings fairly often as the heavy recoil can work things loose. Shouldn't be too bad on a 20 gauge heavy barrel. A buddy of mine swears by his ultimate slam but ample range was needed to verify where it actually hit at the longer ranges. I probably rambled more than helped but you really can't go wrong here I believe.

4 days to kickoff,
HawkeyeFan

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.