Let’s see your custom 6.5-300 Weatherby/6.5 Weatherby/Wright/Hoyer

I'd like to try some of the Cutting Edge Bullets but dang they are expensive. Some are over $90/50. I used to work the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show (back when it was called that) for Bobbly Hart and he shared his booth space with them. Dan and Trap are very upstanding guys and very detail oriented when it comes to their work. Most of their bullets will have to wait till I get a 7 twist barrel because that's what their site says in the details of most of the bullets I looked at.
I have them and loaded in my 6.5/7PRC
67gr N-560 3600. Can't wait to try them come hunting season or maybe groundhogs. Made a trade with a guy on this site for them, he wanted to try 130 OTM TACTICAL HYBRID. And the 130 are great bullets also. 👍

Attachments

• 20240427_185215.jpg
    20240427_185215.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 16
This is mine it's not custom, it's a Accumark Mark V. It had been my favorite 6.5 / 264 until I built a 6.5/7PRC. Now it's my favorite. Pushes 156's at 3200 comfortably, 124 HH 3600 comfortably.
I have the same rifle in 257 Bee, it has grown on me and couldn't pass on the offer to buy it from a customer with less than 3 boxes of ammo down the tube.
Was going to suggest the 150g ABLR for you to try…

Cheers.

I remember shaking my head when the 6.5 prc came out and a lot of guys were having problems with the brass when they were pushing for max velocity. I have no idea what the round count is on that poor vanguard because it's just way too fun and easy to shoot but I never had any trouble working up a load with different bullets. I actually shot it in a 600yard hunter class match once for fun. That skinny little barrel was definitely not happy about that lol

I think Weatherby has the 257/300 dialed in perfectly with their premium factory ammunition. The 257 is the only rifle out of quite a few that I don't feel I can squeeze anything more out of with handloads. I even have the dies and 110's been sitting on the shelf. I call them plug and play. I feel pretty confident I could pull one out of the box and be hitting 6" steel out to 600 yard with one 20 round box of premium ammunition. Or at least I wouldn't bet against someone with decent skill being able to.

I think Weatherby has the 257/300 dialed in perfectly with their premium factory ammunition. The 257 is the only rifle out of quite a few that I don't feel I can squeeze anything more out of with handloads.
Wait what!?!?
1st. 257/300. That's a thing by weatherby? Not just a handloaders creation? It's a factory offering???

I also feel my Factory 6.5x300 bee shooting factory swift scirocco's shoots so good I don't NEED to handload. Well under .5" into .3's but what's the fun in that.

Ya, it wouldn't surprise me that they have them dialed in now. The vanguard my brother gave me was pretty early on and I believe I did run a box of 130's through it for the brass. If memory serves it shot pretty decent but had some room for improvement. It's sitting in a safe in Montana and might not see much daylight if I know my brother. He's got a sweet little 270wsm browning medallion that's point and shoot with some hammers I dialed in for him. I made a turret with some tape that pokes holes in the target out to 400 pretty easy even in some wind and that's about all he needs but you can bet he's not gonna give me back the vanguard lol.

My 6.5x300 is an out of box factory vanguard. It came with 4 boxes of factory ammo, I've never tried any of them. We worked up 2 hand loads, one for practice and one for hunting so no basis for comparison in that rifle, but I have the components and dies to load more.

My son has a 257 vanguard. The hand loaded 92 grain hammers accuracy is the same as factory Weatherby Interlocks and ballistic tips. If I didn't have the components and dies on hand already I would buy a bunch of factory loads and be done in this rifle.

My daughter has a 240 vanguard. It came with 2 boxes of Weatherby factory interlocks. After shooting a box of them, we bought a whole bunch more as I see no reason to fool around trying to duplicate factory accuracy at the ranges she can shoot.

Weatherby definitely has it figured out. I think the 6.5-300 is their long range weapon with the ability to shoot the long bullets accurately and fast. Just have to be careful at the shorter ranges. I used the amp annealer and had no issues with brass life with weatherby brass. I've thought about having a barrel made for my Curtis action but it's a hard decision when the out of box complete rifles will likely shoot as good or better than anything aftermarket