Length of pillars ?

Gregg C

Got a project..
How might I easily determine necessary length for pillars ? I bought a Savage short action from NSS, has hinged floor plate mag. Is there an easier way to find this besides T&E ? Cause, that is gonna take some time !! Also, how close to the bolt should the mag feed lips come ? Ideas, anyone ?

Given your previous threads I'm guessing that you're starting from scratch and have no reference stock(s) available?

Absent such a reference stock my suggestion would be to make some that you know are a bit long and assemble the bottom metal to the action with them in place. Load the mag and try cycling for feed. Iteratively shorten the pillars until it feeds correctly.

If you can make the pillars each two piece that screw together then it should be fairly easy to find the lengths range where the magazine feeds correctly.

Given your previous threads I'm guessing that you're starting from scratch and have no reference stock(s) available?

Absent such a reference stock my suggestion would be to make some that you know are a bit long and assemble the bottom metal to the action with them in place. Load the mag and try cycling for feed. Iteratively shorten the pillars until it feeds correctly.

If you can make the pillars each two piece that screw together then it should be fairly easy to find the lengths range where the magazine feeds correctly.
Thanks, I wound up trial and error-ing. Two piece would be sweet....maybe next time. Thanks again.

Personally, my pillars length are determined during the bedding process. I mount them to the action, bed the action with pillars, and a no stress pillar job. All trimming on the outside of the stock.

Larry
Tinkerer

The issue here is that Gregg makes his own stocks. With no stock to start with, where do you start in determining the pillar length?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.