Largest Or Best Long Range caliber

BLASERMAN

What is the best and Biggest long range caliber can you build on a Remington 700 action. I checked on Kirby's Bat
action boy I got a nose bleed.

It depends on your specs but I would look at the bigger 338's (now there is a shock coming from me). The 338 Lapua, 338 Kahn, 338 RUM or 338 EDGE. The best of these would depend on your requirements about single shot or repeater, factory ammo available, ease of loading etc.

Shawn

I reload so thats not a problem , Whats the most accurate
large caliber that will fitt on a 700 Rem.The .338's are what I was after. let's say I want to play between 500- 1000
yrds. I already know who will build it.Just wanted some feed back from some experinced shooters.

Take your pick 500 to 1000 is not far for any one of the 338's that Shawn listed

I'm not big on chambering a Rem 700 for the fat Lapua case even though some have done so without incident.

If you want to give yourself the "edge" go with Shawn's 338 Edge and don't look back. If 1,000yd horsepower is not an issue than I'd rather use one of the big 300mags. Take your pick.

For simplicity, I just chose the 300 RUM for myself. Picked up a load of Federal Premium brass and am about to get started.

Shawn, are you saying that a 338Kahn would be a safe "do" on a rem action? i thought this was just too much powder for the remmy?

Hmmm--I talked to a couple of nice folks at the Remington display at the SHOT Show about this very subject and they cited the action was not large enough but if you say so. Can you give any examples of sources or verified reviews of a 338 Lapua in a 700?

Yes, Remington had one at the shot show at Remingtons both in the law enforcement section

I have 30-338 laupa imp on a savage action small nut and haven't had any problems feeds ok shoots great. i imagine on a remington or savage it is a liability issue. i know its works there are just too many laupa and 33-378 cases floating around on savage and remington actions.

Dave,

I wouldn't be real wild about the idea but I do know of several 338-378 Wby single shot 700's around. I have never chambered a Kahn. I am sure Kirby will see this and give us the 411. I would recommend the Edge streight up, but realize that I have a personel bias toward it. No matter who you have build it I would recommend it for a 700 platform for many reasons. For a 700 action I don't think you can beat the economy, ease of loading, power, capacity, feeding over a super mag size round and the accuracy success I have had with them. Like I said, I have a bit of a bias toward them.

I personally know of half a dozen .338/300 RUMs that shoot sub sub min. have great power down range super velocity.I made mine and my friends made theirs this case is worthy of consideration if you want to shoot long reasonably cheap. :No pun intended just some feed back from another source.

I am currentley in the same sitiuation. The gunsmith here has a cartridge that he changed a bit from the original designer and it is based on a 8mm Rem. Mag. It can cycle through the Rem 700 action without any mods (naturally) and the cartridge is capabile of 250 gr. bullets at 3000 fps+ in a 24" barrel. The fully Tactical model I shot last weekend was pushing 250 gr Sierra Match Kings at 3140 fps (26" barrel) and there was no pressure signs!!!! The 225's will net you about 3250 + . The gun will shoot too!!! 5 shots at 200 yards( thats max for the Willife Centerfire Range) into a group you can cover with a dime!!!

I am currentley waiting for mine to be built. It will be a fully tactical Rem 700 with all the goodies, A5 Mcmillan stock, a 26" Giarred barrel and a 6.5 x 20 x50 Leupold.

The cartridge is called the .338 Swamp Donkey. It will outperform the Lapua by a quite a margin with same length barrels!!!! All this from a 8mm Mag Case.

Pm me if you would like more details.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.