• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

KUIU clothing

d_wit22

I'm looking to start collecting a few pieces of KUIU clothing for my elk trip next September. I'm 6' 180 with a 32 inch waist. Anyone have some old stock they wanna part with? Basically looking for pants and shirt/jacket

I'm looking to start collecting a few pieces of KUIU clothing for my elk trip next September. I'm 6' 180 with a 32 inch waist. Anyone have some old stock they wanna part with? Basically looking for pants and shirt/jacket

I've got several KUIU garments that I purchased recently. The stuff is nice but it is way overpriced and certainly isn't very warm. If you haven't handled some of their stuff, you may want to before you buy it.

Just my 2 cents.

What direction would you go? Compared to KUIU ?? Looking for advice also

I really don't know because the KUIU is the only high-end garments that I own. I have a Pro series down jacket that is rather thin and not very warm. I bought a KUIU down vest to go under it and need to wear both. I have one of their Marino wool sweatshirts and it's as thin as can be. My Cabelas sweatshirt is noticeably warmer. The Attack pants are nice but certainly not warm.

In fairness to KUIU - I guess their products are primarily designed to be light-weight and packable. They have achieved that goal but in retrospect, I could have saved money and bought hiker clothing that is warmer and cheaper.

Just my 2 cents and I'm sure some KUIU users may have a different opinion.

If you want down go on eBay and buy LL Bean 850 down jackets. They weigh a pound and have an integrated stuff sack. I bought one with a tiny tear for $80. It's as warm as the Kuiu just not camo and a fraction of the cost. I'd agree with the above regarding Kuiu. It's well made and light weight but you pay dearly for it and it is t sny warmer.

If I was buying merino base layers again I'd just buy high quality hiking stuff in solid earth tones. I have first lite stuff and some hiking stuff. The first lite is camo but no better. Spend your money on really good outerwear for wind and rain, good glass for spotting scopes and rifles and practice time shooting your bow or rifle.

Hey, I've been using Kuiu clothing since it first came out. I live in Fairbanks AK. For the most part the clothes are designed for backpack mountain hunters. They have added clothing in the last year or two for more sit still type hunting. I have and love their base layer merino wool stuff. The zip off base layer pants are awesome. I have a bunch of it and use it. I don't have any for sale, but thought I'd give a different opinion than what I was reading from others. I always wait for the big sales to buy
Good luck and Take Care

I love their stuff for the most part, but it is definitely for hiking/mobile hunting not stationary. If you are planning to sit in a snowy tree stand they are not for you, but if you are planning on hiking up a mountain they are great. I have some more hard shell and soft shell options I will PM you.

It is definitely a layering system and for folks on the move. I had Sitka gear and when it wore out went to Kuiu a few years ago collecting different pieces as I went because that stuff is freaking pricy

I'll 2nd, 3rd, and 4th the above about coldness and kuiu. To that end though it is meant to be layered and as such the sizing correlates. Their website will lay out what you need and what size depending on what route you choose. For base layer bottoms I went with the pro merino 200. I wear the attack pants on top. When I sit and glass I wear the pro down pants. For the upper I have the peleton 118. On top of that I thrown on a bad pro sweater. Guide dcs coat on top and chugach rain coat. When glassing this year I was wearing the mid mountain sock and my feet froze!!! Had to add hand warmers to boots with my 400gr danners. All that said and it was only hands and feet because I haven't bought the gloves yet so mine weren't up to the task. Temps were between -20 - 15 degrees.

Most of the kuiu stuff isn't made for sitting in a stand etc.(Except their new Proximity line) And no matter who makes it, 200 weight merino, is still 200 weight merino. Or whatever weight.

The main things I love from kuiu are the peloton 97 synthetic zip off base layer bottoms. Best thing ever!
Also like the Yukon gaiter, guide and attack pants. And the Chugach rain gear really does well.
Guide pants for when it below 30. Snow ,etc. Fleece lined, excellent dwr coating. Attacks good year round with base layer. Both have good zip vents which are a requirement for me now.
For warmth, get a couple mid weight grid fleece hoodies from almost anywhere, including kuiu.
And then add a real puffy like the Sitka Kelvin windstopper( might find on clearance right now) or a custom from goose foot gear with 6-8 oz of down fill. You need to look at how much fill is put in , not just the fill power like 700-850, etc.
Also puffy pants for sitting and glassing are incredible. I have some from Skre I scarfed up on sale. Work well.
Hands. Bring mittens. I just use fairly thin snowboard mittens. Hands roast in 10 degrees and 22 mph wind. General hunting I wear either thin nitrile work gloves, mechanix fast fits, kuiu guide gloves(decent), and the old rag wool ones.(hard to beat)

Recent Posts