Kimber 308 loads

The Elkaholic

Guys having trouble with my 308cal kimber montana. 1/12 twist 6 groove. Shooting 150 nosler bt with 46grs of Varget powder 210 primer. 50 yards cut holes and at 100 yards opens up to to a 3 inch group plus.

How many down the tube, and is it showing copper (blue/green) on the cleaning patch?

Reason I ask is one of our group has a Kimber Montana, same as yours and it would not group at 100 either. Turns out it was heavily copper fouled. Had to give it a serious Sweets scrub job.

Nice rifle btw. I like th way they shoulder.

Thank you ,will clean it well. It"s worth a try. Brought some factorie shell to try in it also. What shell or load does your budddy use?

I loaded them btw and did the load ladders, Thats my job, I'm the get 'er done guy in the group... I build them, they shoot them

Brass in Federal OF from Wideners fully prepped and trimmed, to Sammi spec, mouths VLD'd, pockets reamed, flash holes deburred

Sierra 2140's 165 grain HPBT with 48 grains of H 380 (thats almost a compacted charge) btw. COAL is 2.7 I'm at 2.9 or 25 give or take off the lands.

Sierra 2200 168 HPBT MK with 42.6 grains of H380 Sierra's recommended maximum load, compacted charge again, COAL is 2.8, I loaded them at 2.9. That gave me the tightest groups.

I also loaded some Sierra 2120's 125 grain SPT's (ballistic tipped), again H380 and again close to maximum charge (49 grains) at 10 over Sammi length of 2.7

He wanted the 125's for a varmit load. He's into midnight crooners.

My take is if you stretch out the COAL, there is more room in the case for expansion and it seems to play out. Thats SOP at Berger and it works for me too.

Being a Savage person, I really like the Kimber safety. It looks 'finished' compared to the Savage.

When I say compacted charge I say that tongue-in-cheek. They aren't rattlers but I didn't have to squeeze in the pills either.

I leave the trimming and initial case prep to the group and do the charges, seat the pills and do the workups. I let them use my shop and have access to the refrigerator for beverages...lol I set up a couple lathes with various prep stations and let them go to town.

The above loads represent just over 1500 rounds.

Elk - i assume you are shooting at deer. the powders i would try are I4064, varget a re-15 in that order. other bullets 150 sierra btsp, 150 berger, 168cbt. 210m or br-2 primers.

Sidecar Flip : Yes right on target we had put at least 4 boxes of reloads through it. Been wire brushing it out all a long but took a good look down the barrel and it had a yellow cast to it. Took a stainless steel 35 cal. brush to it and dry patch. First shot high and the it started to shoot very well. Thanks You and all you other guys also alot of good input guys.

You need to take my loads and propellant and give that a whirl too. His Montana shoots lights out with the Sierra's and the H380. It's a one holer on the bench in a front rest only. I spent a bit of time working those up sp ypu might as well benefit too. The only thing I'd watch is the off the land dimension. No 2 chambers are exactly the same.

BTW, he's one of those guys who demands perfection even though all animals have kill zones. He always tells me that 'paper has no kill zone' and I agree with that, at least in premise.

.....and the Sierra's seem to transfer a bit of copper but thats under control now.

IMO, a nicer rifle to handle than my Savage but a bit heavier. Feels better, but then I really like Kimber 45 ACP's. Have 2, one a Crimson Carry Ultra full size 1911 and one a compact ACP.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.