Just need an opinion.

Bishop

This is a chamber on a sendero, is this how it is supposed to look?

The rings normal? I am having sticky extraction issues, and am trying to narrow down the exact problem, possibly thinking the brand of brass i am using might be a bit thick.

But then i noticed rings on the brass and checked inside the chamber and figured I would ask about this.

The bolt lift is easy, its the pulling it back part thats hard.

Attachments

• Rifle chamber.jpg
    Rifle chamber.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 93
There are some good chamber guys on here who will surely chime in soon. Be interesting to see what they say. But I'm not sure you can polish that out, it looks deep.

I'm assuming this is a new rifle?

I don't want to insult anybody but whoever chambered that rifle must have used a boring bar and threading set up on the lathe. IMO, the guy who did that work wouldn't see another one of my rifles - ever. :rolleyes:

I am waiting on a e-mail back from the smith now, i figure he will fix it, so there is definately something wrong with my chamber i guess.

Its making hard contact at the neck/shoulder junction as well. Im using redding bushing full length dies to size the new brass.

Running a very mild charge and getting stuck cases, have to beat the bolt back with my hand, the bolt cams open alright but wont extract without some beating.

Sorry bishop but if he tries to polish that out your cases would swell so bad i doubt u could resize them, he owes u a new bbl!!!

Nope,,, not supposed to look like that! My first inclination would be to set it back a turn and set the headspace. I wouldn't call the guy who did that a 'gunsmith'. Takes more than owning or having access to a lathe to be a gunsmith. Unfortunately, that doesn't fit the current notion.

Ya probably needs to be cut back say .100 though and then
Repolished. Also measure the distance from the front of your bolt handle to the receiver when the bolt is closed. If the smith blue printed your action and had to cut to much on either bolt or lug abutment's then you may have very little or no primary extraction. If memory serves me you want around 10-15 thousandths. After 40 I don't think your primary extraction works at all

Every barrel installed should be fired by the person who installed it. He'll know then, if there is a problem , or if he has a good chamber. We'd like to hear the results after you get your rifle back.

The plan as of right now is if it cannot be polished, or otherwise fixed. A new barrel will be chambered and installed. Downtime shouldnt even be bad since he said he has quite a few Brux .338 barrels in stock.

The plan as of right now is if it cannot be polished, or otherwise fixed. A new barrel will be chambered and installed. Downtime shouldnt even be bad since he said he has quite a few Brux .338 barrels in stock.

I promise not to make another comment after this but I've gotta get this off my chest. I believe this guy owes you a barrrel, but I don't believe you owe him another chance to screw it up. If his quality control isn't any better than what your posted image reflects then I'd accept a new barrel from him, say thank you, and find someone else to chamber it.
OK ... now I feel better. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.