Is 30 inch barrel in a 6.5 Creedmore a mistake?

Build ya one as long as you want....

Good luck, this thread is like a long barrel. It's reached diminishing returns...

What diminishing returns? I believe the speed I got today is not diminishing returns, was pushing 130 Bergers at mild powder charges and was 2950 fps out of the 30 inch barrel and no high pressures or flattened primers or sticky bolt lifts, and not at the max yet.

What diminishing returns? I believe the speed I got today is not diminishing returns, was pushing 130 Bergers at mild powder charges and was 2950 fps out of the 30 inch barrel and no high pressures or flattened primers or sticky bolt lifts, and not at the max yet.
Well then, you got your answer thru your Chrony. Glad your're happy. What more do you want to discuss? A lot of time I see guys come on this forum, and ask a question just so they, themselves can answer it... Good luck to you... I'm glad you are happy with it, it should be a great shooter....

Last edited:
Well then, you got your answer thru your Chrony. Glad your happy. What more do you want to discuss? A lot of time I see guys come on this forum, and ask a question just so they, themselves can answer it... Good luck to you... I'm glad you are happy with it, it should be a great shooter....

I don't believe I have any more to discuss,,,with you. :rolleyes: The less smart aleck you are, the better.

30 inch tube in a blind makes me laugh. Seriously. I have a 28" hart .257 Roy and brought it to Kansas one year and thought hell these big fields I have time to get it out the window. **** I made so much noise trying to get that thing out I can't believe the deer didn't bolt. Now I still bring it but I have a hole cut at the bottom so I can lay prone and shoot just the end of my field for doe control. You should cut it down and see what you lose for fps. I've always heard not anything g to gain past 24 on a 6.5 creed. Similar to a 458 socom. If you can only gain 40 fps with 8" more pipe not worth it to me to have a heavier less Handy gun.

30 inch tube in a blind makes me laugh. Seriously. I have a 28" hart .257 Roy and brought it to Kansas one year and thought hell these big fields I have time to get it out the window. **** I made so much noise trying to get that thing out I can't believe the deer didn't bolt. Now I still bring it but I have a hole cut at the bottom so I can lay prone and shoot just the end of my field for doe control. You should cut it down and see what you lose for fps. I've always heard not anything g to gain past 24 on a 6.5 creed. Similar to a 458 socom. If you can only gain 40 fps with 8" more pipe not worth it to me to have a heavier less Handy gun.
I agree with you that its too long for a deer blind, but I am just joking around, its a competition bench gun. BTW, it's early to tell if it will shoot or not, but I see some promising loads after today's tests but the ES is not too good I suppose. I posted it on the other thread.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/6-5-creedmore-max-load-171324/index5.html

Not to poo poo your results but 2930ish with 130's is a common node in the smaller cased 6.5x47 lapua with 26" barrels. Maybe she'll pick up some speed with more rounds but otherwise I'm not seeing the value in the longer barrel.

But please, shoot a few hundred rounds through it before cutting down or I'm going to end up eating some crow on this one haha.

I don't think the 30 will gain anything especially past 26". It's still cool to see 30" tubes but prob not belong speed at all. But hell to each. Let's see some pics of this gun?

I don't think the 30 will gain anything especially past 26". It's still cool to see 30" tubes but prob not belong speed at all. But hell to each. Let's see some pics of this gun?

4WUZedl.jpg

Not to poo poo your results but 2930ish with 130's is a common node in the smaller cased 6.5x47 lapua with 26" barrels. Maybe she'll pick up some speed with more rounds but otherwise I'm not seeing the value in the longer barrel.

But please, shoot a few hundred rounds through it before cutting down or I'm going to end up eating some crow on this one haha.

Just looked at the other thread, looking good with some room for more! The formed lapua palma brass route would be tempting.

Why do all the BR and F class guys use 30-32 inch barrels? IMO more velocity.

I have two 30 inch rifles a 6 BR and a 338 RCM. I believe both have more velocity, which is what I wanted, over a standard length barrel.

That 338 RCM, with the 300 gr berger, was used for LR killing of a coues wt a few years ago. No doubt I'll use it again for that purpose. FYI I don't hike far with that rig as there are many vantage points that are just off the jeep trails.

Keep your barrel long.

My concern would be trading accuracy for velociy. I would think the increased magnitude of the harmonic ring with the longer barrel wouldn't be worth the extra velocity. Sure some bench cannons get away with 30" barrels, but they have massive diameters to keep the ring magnitude within reason.

Coloyooper,

I understand the harmonic concern. The 338 RCM is a #5 lilja and it doesn't have any issues when working up loads. It shot all powder charges quite well as well as a second bullet, the 300 gr sierra MK.

I say try it and if it disappoints shorten it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.