Iowa hunters are now allowed to use necked rifle cartridges (with some caliber restrictions)

I have 200 grain interlocks cruising at 2950 . Zero is at 200 yds....top of a deers back at 300...dead deer. I wouldn't be afraid to stretch it out to 350. I'd dial for that range though. Its about 17 inches low i believe at 350

It's a slippery downhill slope with stupid regs. Down here they first made black powder cartridge rifles of a design before 1900 .45 caliber and above legal for primitive weapon ie muzzleloader. Then they dropped the black powder.So every redneck bought a nef 45-70. Then they dropped the 1900. Then they dropped the caliber to .35. Now a single shot encore in 35 whelen is legal. But that only applies to the first primitive split. After that centerfire rifles of any caliber can be used.
Who they think they are, California? Good gawd.

Our whelens did an impressive job on deer this 2nd gun season. I posted pics on the 2023 meat pole thread. My son drt a 16 pointer at 300. Complete pass through with a 200 gr. Ftx. My son in law killed a 13 pointer at 210. Both with the ftx. 1 1/2 inch exit on both. I shot the 200 grain hammer shock hammer. Running at 3000 fps. It was impressive to say the least. Amazing blood trails. The 10 pointer was mine. The memories created will last forever.
1000001962.jpg
1000001987.jpg
1000001917.jpg

Our whelens did an impressive job on deer this 2nd gun season. I posted pics on the 2023 meat pole thread. My son drt a 16 pointer at 300. Complete pass through with a 200 gr. Ftx. My son in law killed a 13 pointer at 210. Both with the ftx. 1 1/2 inch exit on both. I shot the 200 grain hammer shock hammer. Running at 3000 fps. It was impressive to say the least. Amazing blood trails. The 10 pointer was mine. The memories created will last forever. View attachment 524860View attachment 524862View attachment 524863yr
WOW really nice BUCKS. Was this on Private Land or Public. Was it Guided and did you use ML.
I was in Iowa 20+++ years ago with my Marine Brother and the Pheasants OMG. Had to use a Shotgun for Deer. My Marine brother's wife was a Liberal and would not let me on the property if I had a Pheasent or God forbid a deer or a firearm.
Then the Deer.!!!! IOWA has some of the biggest deer from all the farmlands. and feed.

When Mississippi first allowed break open/exposed hammer 45/70 for the "primitive" hunts the wild life folks got complaints from the black powder folk and of course the non H&R people. Their reply was that their job was to manage the deer herd not to provide special regs for hobbyist. I am amazed at the increase in the size of the deer herd through out the south compared to what it was in the 60's when I first hunted them. I do agree that many maybe most regulations are silly.

Talk about a step in the stupid direction. I know y'all wanted bottleneck cases and you should want them but what they've opened up by keeping that idiotic caliber restriction is .50BMG deer hunting and .375CheyTac deer hunting and not a lot more. Think about it. They've basically listened to the "we want bottlenecks" brigade and completely lost the thread that the masses want bottlenecks so they can use much smaller bullets going dramatically faster.

Instead of enabling the use of the classic .270win or .30-06 or .243win or, hell, even a .338WinMag the result is to enable the use of darned near anti-aircraft guns. What's the smallest modern bottleneck .35cal? How about as you climb up to .37cal or .40cal or .50cal? As you climb up the caliber ladder a little you do find some gems like .458Socom but that's kind of just out there on its own. The only other 35cal loadings (or 40 cal or 375 cal or almost anything in this caliber range) are either monstrous anti-materiel level beasts or are extremely archaic like the .348win and it gets worse as the caliber increases. The only thing that's remotely appropriate that I think you could still find retail ammo for would be the .358win. Incremental gains are sometimes just stupid in the extreme when looked at rationally. Thankfully this will likely result in all bottlenecks being allowed soon and perhaps they'll say no .50BMG for deer in Iowa and fix their earlier <cuss word> up.
Someone will develop one real quick if recent firearms history is applicable.😁

WOW really nice BUCKS. Was this on Private Land or Public. Was it Guided and did you use ML.
I was in Iowa 20+++ years ago with my Marine Brother and the Pheasants OMG. Had to use a Shotgun for Deer. My Marine brother's wife was a Liberal and would not let me on the property if I had a Pheasent or God forbid a deer or a firearm.
Then the Deer.!!!! IOWA has some of the biggest deer from all the farmlands. and feed.
These were private land... corn and bean fields. In central iowa...not really known for big stuff. A day to remember..for sure. Not guided....just little old scouting and patience.