I'm way new at this and Mistakes are not cheap .help

This gun has the bull barrel. Also I new about the burning out of the barrels that's why I wanted to go with the 200 grain to drop down the speed to 3100 fps wouldn't that slow The wear down?
It's not the speed that burns barrels, it's the pressure and heat generated in the first couple of inches of your barrel beyond the case mouth.

I've been running 180gr Swift Sirocco's and Accubonds in both of mine with good performance on hogs and deer.

Just to offer another perspective on your two points (both of which have merit IMO)

One - hanging anything on the barrel will shift the point of impact. But shifting the point of impact isn't an issue when we're applying the device to its intended purpose of measuring muzzle velocity. The Magnetospeed should be used to gather muzzle velocity data and THEN be removed for analysis of grouping on target.
Frankly, even though my groups do shift (about an inch high at 100 yards) with the Magnetospeed in place, I have found that the "footprint" of the groups on target remain consistent; just higher than usual.

Two - There is, IMO, no reasonable counter argument to that one. But removing the bayonet and putting it on another rifle is fairly easy and not a deal breaker chore for me.
... .x2

Something ain't quite right here. It should not cost over 100-125.00 at most for the installation of a muzzle brake.

The North West Precision Muzzle brake which I have on 7 different rifles (the slotted version) is fantastic and they can be bought for 56.00 including shipping.

Muzzle Brake Rifle of Pistol Muzzle Break | eBay

Granted there are some brakes on the market that are as much as a 150.00 higher but where is the 800.00 worth of gunsmithing coming from? Even with bedding and a trigger job along with the brake it would be a stretch to get to 400.00.

Can you break down for us what all he's including for the 800.00?

Gun smithing 300.00 that includes custom muzzle break milling installation everything

Ok what are the Basic tools/brand names of reloading equipment that I will need to get the job done without breaking the bank? And a good online place to get this stuff ?

So everyone thinks I should skip the spotting scope for now and put that money into reloading equipment ?

yes. and sorry i read your original wrong. thinking your were going to buy a rifle; not that you had already. Maina- i have / had 11 senderos. my budies have quite a few also. i do not have RUM , but some of them do. the rum uses 96 grains of powder the 300 wm 72 . i would think the barrel would be good for 750 or 1000 rounds. i have not burned out a barrel i have several to shoot. ron

Ok what are the Basic tools/brand names of reloading equipment that I will need to get the job done without breaking the bank? And a good online place to get this stuff ?

Maina- rcbs rocker chucker combo with 300 rum dies and shell holder. while most everyone has a dozen reloading manuals i would start with one . probably hornady. can't give you a price (blocked at work). ammoseek can get you ammo and compnent prices. you can decide if you want to shoot some factory for brass . load your own. my brother shoots re-25 and a 180 accubond for everything. you may want to start with 208 hornady as they are cheaper i believe.

Maina

If you have someone to show you the ropes definitely take advantage and learn to reload. For the 300 RUM I'll give you your first reloading recipe - 210 Berger HVLD, 97.0 grains Reloader 33, Fed 215 primers, seat 0.005" off the lands. I get 3,020 fps with these out of a 26" tube and they shoot around an inch at 200 yards and 3 inches at 600 yards.

Maina, one thing to keep in mind with someone giving you a load is that something that works for them might not shoot at all in your rifle. As a beginning reloader, it is also important to know that you should always start low with your powder charge and work your way up. Just FYI.

Here is a great reloading kit that is on sale at Cabelas: RCBS® Kit Rock Chucker Supreme Basic 101 : Cabela's

Get this along with dies and the correct size shell holder and you will be off to a good start.

Maina- Congrats on the Rem 700 Long Range in 300 RUM. You are going to like this. My screen name is somerumfun. I have owned multiple copies of the 300 Ultra Mag all from Remington 700 actions. I have also worked up multiple rifles of the same 300 RUM for my friends. All have worked very well...one or two extremely well. Basic recommendations: Nosler 180 Accubonds, 95 Grains of RE-25, Fed 215 primers, any brass you can find. All of the rifles I have worked up like this exact load or maybe 1-2 grains less RE 25. This will also get you out to 1,000 yards and beyond. Site in for dead on at 200 yards and you need about 22 MOA to get you to 1,000 yards (your scope has that and more). Rangefinder: buy what you can afford, I own a Bushnell...works great and lots cheaper. Reloading: Start reloading this year, not next year...this is key to your success. Get a rock chucker or similar, RCBS dies and reload now. The white tail are large in Maine....the 180 accubonds will flatten them and also 1-4 additional deer standing behind it. It will also shoot your moose and bears from way, way back. Spotting Scope: I have a Nikon fieldscope that works to 1k yards....I will someday buy a Swarovski to match my 15x60s that will never be pried from my cold dead hands. Comments from others: the barrel being burned up is a function of the amount of powder being burned and the cleanliness of the shooter. Clean your barrel every 10 rounds or so and it will last along time. But when it does finally give it up (which will be 500 rounds down the line if you don't clean frequently), just take the stock off and send the action to Krieger or other and have put a new match barrel on (for less than the original cost of the gun) and go shoot some additional rounds. I just received back a Remington 700 Sendero with a new Krieger barrel..using the above load and put them all through the same hole at 100 yards. Muzzle Brake: I use Vias brakes. You will want a muzzle brake. The first 300 RUM I got was an SPS BDL light one with no brake. It was rude, crude and irreverent. So much so, that the magazine latch would come unhitched on every shot and eject all my rounds out the bottom on the shooting bench. Additionally, the kick was enough to slobber knock me. A muzzle brake takes it down to 22-250 levels with much more muzzle blast. It is great to shoot with muffs and puffs for ears. Be kind to those sitting on adjacent benches when shooting yours with a muzzle brake. It has a Sherman tank blast from the side. Summary: Save you money on the Leica and use savings to buy reloading equipment. With the money you save from reloading over the next 3 years, go buy a Leica then.

Best!

Save you money on the Leica and use savings to buy reloading equipment. With the money you save from reloading over the next 3 years, go buy a Leica then.

Best!

I have to disagree with you on this part. I have a Bushnell rangefinder as well and had to get a Leica simply because the Bushnell wouldn't pick up animals at a good distance. On an antelope hunt the Bushnell couldn't pick up antelope at a range of somewhere between 400 and 700 yards. The only reason I know it was between that was because the Bushnell could pick up bushes at 400 and 700, but not the antelope. Simply put, it is tough to shoot game at long range when your range finder won't pick them up. I have learned that this is one area you don't want to skimp. If you can't get an accurate range, none of the high priced scopes or rifles mean anything.

As a side note, I would also recommend using higher grain bullets than 180's in a RUM, but that's just me.

Well I ordered the base and rings you guys mentioned ,last night so that's done that was only 150 bucks that was cheap enough. I'm looking to order the Harris bipod 6 to 9 inches that sound right?

I'm up in the air of what to shot threw his gun . I'm looking at these two. 210 Berger , or the 208 Hornady I really wanted to stay above 200 grains ,I rather hit something with the brick then a ping-pong ball but I'm open to suggestions.

Does this sound right ? 93 grains of H-1000 and a 208 grain A-MAX shoots under 1/2 inch @ 3255fps out of Remington s new XHR 300 ulta mag.

Reloading is the key. Don't take loads from people and just use them. I can give you loads too. But not going to. Get a reloading manual and don't go outside of the published loads. Start at the start load and work up. I think you said you have a friend to help? If so, that can help you with the learning curve. Otherwise don't deviate from the published data.

My .02

Steve

ps

180 ab will kill anything on the north American continent.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.