I'm Done With Nosler Brass!

WOW, that is great info, but that is also F'd up. How is the average reloader supposed to know something like that or find out? I'd think that should be noted on the package of Brass, but also, it should be noted in any catalog where you are purchasing from, both on-line and in a print magazine. The 300 win mag .... is off by 55 grains per case! That is virtually a different cartridge.

I try to stick with Winchester brass. This has been recognized as about the best brass you can get for a reasonable price (for many years). I've heard rumors that there were some inconsistencies here and there for a while but any problems have been worked out many years ago. It has worked well for me. George Gardener swears by it.
That is a great point on printing the case weight on the package or at least a close approximate give a take 1 gr. as an example.

Nosler started stamping brass hjere in Redmond OR. about a little over a year ago not sure of what Cals. they are doing but a different and new setup would explain maybe the radical change.
I'm just thankful I used the Heavier brass during load testing on this new custom rifle.

I am aghast at the amount of being off between two lots. I had to test a theory. I would say that you could be off by 4.4 grains, but 44 grains I can not believe. I just weighed 120 various/random cases from my supply of 264 Win and 7MM rem brass (the median weight was 235 grains, extreme spread on weights was 234.1 through 238.2). this is over all brands and both calibers: winchester, hornady, nosler, Federal, Norma, Barnes, and even W-W, XX-supreme. Only 2 cases were over 236.4. one winchester at 237.9 and another Winchester XX-supreme at 238.2. only one 234.1. most in the 234.X were 234.9. the "80% bell curve" had 235.0 through 236.0 in it. the actual number under the 1 grain curve was 107. something has to be wrong with your measuring, a 20% weight increase between two lots just can not happen. a 2% variance between lots is very much under the alloying and metallurgy manufacturing allowances. I would check your weights again. something went horribly wrong here.
After reading your post again I appreciate your input. The only thing I can think of is to send you a couple pieces of brass so you can weigh them yourself.

I have been checks case weigths for years. Found that older Noma brass RP, PMC, Fed cases were the heaviest. Winchester brass was the lightest of the them all. I have purchase some Hornady and Nosler brass sometime back, because of not being able to get winchester brass. I generally shot a belted mag case. I started to look at the Hornady and Nosler brass. It's seem to me that is was lighter than the Winchester Brass. I use to purchase brass at the range of all different types back in the early 2002. It was a lot cheaper than going to the store to get cases. Seeing that I was shooting a 308 Norma Mag, and getting case for that was another problem in itself.

Mike

Mike - Just get 338 Winchester brass and neck it down for your 308 Norma. Lots of guys have been doing that for decades.

I am aghast at the amount of being off between two lots. I had to test a theory. I would say that you could be off by 4.4 grains, but 44 grains I can not believe. I just weighed 120 various/random cases from my supply of 264 Win and 7MM rem brass (the median weight was 235 grains, extreme spread on weights was 234.1 through 238.2). this is over all brands and both calibers: winchester, hornady, nosler, Federal, Norma, Barnes, and even W-W, XX-supreme. Only 2 cases were over 236.4. one winchester at 237.9 and another Winchester XX-supreme at 238.2. only one 234.1. most in the 234.X were 234.9. the "80% bell curve" had 235.0 through 236.0 in it. the actual number under the 1 grain curve was 107. something has to be wrong with your measuring, a 20% weight increase between two lots just can not happen. a 2% variance between lots is very much under the alloying and metallurgy manufacturing allowances. I would check your weights again. something went horribly wrong here.

I would have to say that you are the one that has the measurement problem. You are getting a 4.1 grain max spread on brass made by different makers and in two Cartridges. That doesn't remotely make any sense. I can get over 4 grains variation in 22 Hornet brass between WW and Rem brass and it is a hell of a lot smaller than 7 Rem.

To the OP - reading a scale is pretty simple to do, I have no doubt you are seeing the kind of variation you are. I have never seen 44 grains between batches but I have seen over 25 grains between makes of brass, especially Military to civilian. Very good reason good hand loaders check and double check everything, as well as record it. Glad it worked out okay for you.

I'm not a fan of Nosler brass either. I've had lots of .260 Remington come out of the box way under minimum trim length to the point were they aren't usable and the primer pockets usually loosen up with only a couple firings. They sure do come in pretty boxes though, so they should be super awesome! Right?

I have used Nosler bras for some time in various calibers due to it consistency within lots and even when using other lots it was within a grain or two of other lots. But then I ran across a 44 grain difference between two different lots. I called Nosler support on this issue and they did not seem to be surprised with this much of a difference. I explained I was not able to purchase Nosler brass except on line or drive long distances to try and find the same lot. I asked if it is possible two buy bulk quantities with no luck. I explained I enjoy shooting and hunting LR and it would be nice if they would offer the option to buy in larger quantities than 50 for this specific caliber. Getting no where with Nosler I decided to give up on them and ask for input from others who they trust in quality brass and can be bought in quantities of 200 plus in the same lot. Look forward to your input.
Weight sorted nosler brass is a waste of time. As soon as you fully prep the cases the weights are all over the place. I have had very cheap PPU brass be more consistant after prep work and last longer than nosler.

I find that all brass needs some kind of prep work to get it up to speed,,, a few shots to get it to form to my rifle Chambers,,, then the work begins...

Sort by length incase some needs a few more shots,,, weighing,,, sizing,,, checking neck run-out,,, sorting by primer fit-ment,,, neck thickness and getting them thinned...

I was never a big fan of annealing by flame,,, Ha... Now I have another step to do...

My Leed is a master at brass prep...

Find a manufacturer that supplies you a good quality product and save the extra work...

Lapua Palma Brass has been ok for us over the years,,, even then we give it the going over,,, 1 to 2% discard is about average...

Cheers from the North

One thing I'm not hearing anyone mention is the softness of Nosler brass. It runs softer in the primer pocket/case head area than other brands as a general rule.

I got a horrible batch that I've been dealing with in my 30 Nosler. It's so soft that I had to develop a load 100fps slower than normal psi just so I can extract my brass, even then it's sticky. Leaves swipes on the case head and requires more trimming than normal after bumping shoulder .002". A fired case shoulder will measure .003-.005" longer than the chamber shoulder. Neck tension and bullet seating are inconsistent in spite of annealing every 3 firings. No it is NOT an over pressure load or tight barrel, primer pockets are as tight as new after 5-6 firings. As soon as I can throw a little cash at it, I'm gonna buy a batch of ADG.

I am curious in what the difference in water volume is between the heavey and light cases.
Excellent observation, can't believe it took 3.5 pages of posts to hit on this. This is a very important point to consider When there's such a variance in brass weight. I see he said the difference in volume was only 6+ grains; one would think it would be more than that. Common sense would ask where the variation is coming from. The cases cannot be larger/smaller on outside dimension than SAAMI specifies. Therefore with heavier brass you would think there would be at least a considerable decrease in internal
dimension, or there would have to be something different in the metallurgy of the brass to increase the overall density. One will definitely have to use different charges of powder between the two differing lots of brass, definitely a possible safety issue. Back in around 2003, I was buying LC & TW 5.56 of different year lots from Jeff Barrlett at GI Brass. I remember one lot from 69 was around 98gr and another lot was 100.5 gr.
As I worked up there was a 2 grain differential between the max loading using the exact same components (except the brass as stated). That equated to almost an 8% differnce in powder for a 3.5% difference in brass weight.
Long post but I think we need to address this safety issue that can arise.

I have used Nosler bras for some time in various calibers due to it consistency within lots and even when using other lots it was within a grain or two of other lots. But then I ran across a 44 grain difference between two different lots. I called Nosler support on this issue and they did not seem to be surprised with this much of a difference. I explained I was not able to purchase Nosler brass except on line or drive long distances to try and find the same lot. I asked if it is possible two buy bulk quantities with no luck. I explained I enjoy shooting and hunting LR and it would be nice if they would offer the option to buy in larger quantities than 50 for this specific caliber. Getting no where with Nosler I decided to give up on them and ask for input from others who they trust in quality brass and can be bought in quantities of 200 plus in the same lot. Look forward to your input.
Just go with Lapua and the different lots won't make much difference!!

I have used Nosler bras for some time in various calibers due to it consistency within lots and even when using other lots it was within a grain or two of other lots. But then I ran across a 44 grain difference between two different lots. I called Nosler support on this issue and they did not seem to be surprised with this much of a difference. I explained I was not able to purchase Nosler brass except on line or drive long distances to try and find the same lot. I asked if it is possible two buy bulk quantities with no luck. I explained I enjoy shooting and hunting LR and it would be nice if they would offer the option to buy in larger quantities than 50 for this specific caliber. Getting no where with Nosler I decided to give up on them and ask for input from others who they trust in quality brass and can be bought in quantities of 200 plus in the same lot. Look forward to your input.[/QUOTE I had the same problem but the lots were 16 grains different, called nosler they guarentee 1 grain in a lot witch they were but lot to lot it was 16 I was out of luck gone to hornady brass for my 30 nosler..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.