If your thinking of getting a silencer and want to know more, ask a ?

The significant part about a trust that I see is 1. My kids, brothers will be able to use it without myself being present and 2. When I die, they can keep it if they want them. I'm assuming on an individual trust, you would have to sell it to a dealer or pay for another tax stamp
The thing I don't like is that is appears to take longer to get approved by the ATF
yes, that is the main reason for me. The odd thing is, you can add people to the trust at any time. I'm not sure how any one outside the ATF would know if you ever had a background. You would be supprised how much they dont care or at least dont have time to care. I have a customer (kind of) who has 100k worth of machineguns in his possession. they belong to his father inlaw who has been dead for 19 years. he wants me to put them in his name but does not have a will or power of attorney saying they are his or his wives. Turns out there are 3 other brothers and sisters who dont know about the guns or dont know the value. He does not want to tell them. his problem is to get legal right to keep them he needs to go to the court and get a court order saying they can but then the family will be notified. I called the ATF and asked what i needed to do. they told me, I asked should i take the guns and hold them until someone has the legal right to have them? in short, they did not care who had them as long as the paperwork was going to get done. hey did not request any info on who or what. That guy has never come back.

I did the Silencer Shop kiosk with the trust in January, purchasing an Omega and Sparrow. I really wanted the YHM Resonator for my multi caliber can, but they are backorder only right now. I decided to go with what the dealer had in stock rather than do the paperwork on the YHM.

I currently only have one rifle threaded for a suppressor or brake, so now I'm trying to decide which rifles to thread next. I just decided to buy a whole new barrel for the 10/22 as it's about as cheap as threading. I've been building light weight rifles of late so most of my barrels are going need some help getting a suitable shoulder.
That's odd. Yankee has lots of them in stock I was just talking to them Monday and Tuesday and they said sales were slow, I ordered on Monday and it shipped Tuesday and will be here Friday. Oh, wait you said Jan. They were selling them very cheap in Jan so I bet they could have run out. I have a few of the YHM old style and new. I like the new for weight but I have not shot it yet... Dang, I need to go try it.

The significant part about a trust that I see is 1. My kids, brothers will be able to use it without myself being present and 2. When I die, they can keep it if they want them. I'm assuming on an individual trust, you would have to sell it to a dealer or pay for another tax stamp
The thing I don't like is that is appears to take longer to get approved by the ATF
Correct on the "others using it" part as long as they are 21 and "legal to possess" ..but all "responsible parties" in a trust must also go through the background check and fingerprint card since the change in 2016 so multiple people must now be "cleared" before the tax stamp can be issued -- all trustees/partners etc are considered "responsible parties"
As far as someone else getting it after you die without paying for a tax stamp goes, a form 5 transfer form (which is a transfer without paying the special use -$200- fee) can be done in a will, you can will your nfa items to any "beneficiary " you do not need a trust to do this. They will still need to file a form 5 transfer if they are the beneficiary after you die on a trust.
Trusts used to be the way to "skirt" the background check part before the new law in July of 2016, since the new law was passed- a trust does not have quite as many benefits and it now has more hurdles due to the multiple background checks and fingerprint cards that must be submitted with the trust. It still has its benefits in certain situations though.
A trust does not exempt anyone from the current laws or regulations.
Trusts submitted before 2016 did not have to go through a background check for a tax stamp, but if that trust submits for a new tax stamp then the new law pertains to the new submission and all responsible parties must submit to the bg check and fp card.

There are ways to "extend" a trust over a longer period of time, but all trusts will end once the grantor dies- the assets must be distributed to its benificiaries over time.

Trusts can be very simple documents, or can be highly complicated-- not all states require that an attorney actually write the trust, but it's always a good idea to contact and pay a local state attorney to make sure your trust is legal, as if it were ever to be determined as not a leagal trust it would automatically end and its assets could be lost. NFA trusts need special "conditions" added

My suggestions is to get general information about trusts online from people like mcali2 or myself or others, but contact an actual local state attorney with your questions to draft your trust and dont use those generic/ cheep/fast trusts.

yes, that is the main reason for me. The odd thing is, you can add people to the trust at any time. I'm not sure how any one outside the ATF would know if you ever had a background. You would be supprised how much they dont care or at least dont have time to care. I have a customer (kind of) who has 100k worth of machineguns in his possession. they belong to his father inlaw who has been dead for 19 years. he wants me to put them in his name but does not have a will or power of attorney saying they are his or his wives. Turns out there are 3 other brothers and sisters who dont know about the guns or dont know the value. He does not want to tell them. his problem is to get legal right to keep them he needs to go to the court and get a court order saying they can but then the family will be notified. I called the ATF and asked what i needed to do. they told me, I asked should i take the guns and hold them until someone has the legal right to have them? in short, they did not care who had them as long as the paperwork was going to get done. hey did not request any info on who or what. That guy has never come back.
Yes, loophole that isnt really touched on in the new law, change your trust to just you and an underage beneficiary then submit for a tax stamp...after it clears then change the trust back to multiple trustees/ members etc, BUT do you want to challenge the law if you or one of those trustees gets caught doing something wrong?
No way to say what is legal in the case of your "customers" machine guns unless you actually see the trust document, if he isnt named in a trust or will I wouldn't let him near my shop-- if he is in possession of those nfa items without a tax stamp or trust or will and hes caught he could be facing some serious time...
The only way to "put them in his name" would be for him to go through an nfa transfer (form 4 or 5) hopefully his father in law had tax stamps for them before he died.
As a shop owner, you would need a class 2 or 3 SOT ffl license to hold them while the transfer takes place until the tax stamp has cleared if hes not named in a trust or will.But I'm sure you know all this already.

That's odd. Yankee has lots of them in stock I was just talking to them Monday and Tuesday and they said sales were slow, I ordered on Monday and it shipped Tuesday and will be here Friday. Oh, wait you said Jan. They were selling them very cheap in Jan so I bet they could have run out. I have a few of the YHM old style and new. I like the new for weight but I have not shot it yet... Dang, I need to go try it.

They were showing backorder on Silencer Shop web page back in January when I purchased the Omega. It was only $100 more than the Resenator, so I'm not upset. Plus it was one i had been considering any way.

Yes, loophole that isnt really touched on in the new law, change your trust to just you and an underage beneficiary then submit for a tax stamp...after it clears then change the trust back to multiple trustees/ members etc, BUT do you want to challenge the law if you or one of those trustees gets caught doing something wrong?
No way to say what is legal in the case of your "customers" machine guns unless you actually see the trust document, if he isnt named in a trust or will I wouldn't let him near my shop-- if he is in possession of those nfa items without a tax stamp or trust or will and hes caught he could be facing some serious time...
The only way to "put them in his name" would be for him to go through an nfa transfer (form 4 or 5) hopefully his father in law had tax stamps for them before he died.
As a shop owner, you would need a class 2 or 3 SOT ffl license to hold them while the transfer takes place until the tax stamp has cleared if hes not named in a trust or will.But I'm sure you know all this already.
Do you sell NFA /SOT items?

I was not going to help him at all. he was stealing from the family in my opinion. there was no will or trust. his wife was not the executor of the estate either. they were trying to put it in his name but who would sign for the transfer coming out of the estate? who has signing authority? As I seen it, there was no one and it needed to go to probate first, then someone appointed to sign for the transfer. I really wanted the M60 too LOL. I told him to go get his 7/3 and do it himself.

Last edited:
Do you sell NFA /SOT items?

I was not going to help him at all. he was stealing from the family in my opinion. there was no will or trust. his wife was not the executor of the estate either. they were trying to put it in his name but who would sign for the transfer coming out of the estate? who has signing authority? As I seen it, there was no one and it needed to go to probate first, then someone appointed to sign for the transfer. I really wanted the M60 too LOL. I told him to go get his 7/3 and do it himself.
Are you still in Cali?

It all sounds like WAY too much hassle! I'm not a hoop jumper and don't plan to start.
No one has proven they make a rifle more accurate just quieter? So it looks like 1500 bucks and who knows how long of wait and it just puts you on another of their lists!
For what really? Put that 1500 in ammo and practice! I bought a rifle that has a Thunderbeast thread over break on it I'm changing it out for an Area 419.

No, not personally. I have sold the thunder but only 1 or 2. I find most suppress very close to each other and I can't tell the difference in loudness more pitch and recoil. as far as your goal of no POI change. I'm not sure what suppressor will do that. If I was to guess it would be a larger can maybe a 338 or 450 can. Allowing for gases to move around the bullet more and not push it as much. That is a total guess. I don't remember seeing a big change with my 7mm rem and my 338 can.
Both the crux and the thunder beats claim too have no poi change!

I have one... I'm looking to get into my first suppressor/silencer for my 7mm rem mag for ear protection while hunting it's a bolt gun not for firing off rounds per minute.... just looking for decent options on the cheaper side that will provide good quality or advice on what would be best and I'll likely spend the money... lastly if I'd like to swap this from rifle to rifle what are my options I've heard of 1 but cant recall what it is?
I bought a DEAD AIR SANDMAN K. It can handle up to 300 win mag, it uses a muzzle break adapter to attach the suppressor. you can buy more muzzle break adapters, install them on multiple rifles. Then the suppressor is a quick disconnect, it ratchets down tight on those adapters. This is my first suppressor, very short and light can. you can shoot a high power without hearing protection, but it still has a pretty good bark. They also have the S and L model which have more length and baffles, which should suppress the sound even more, but for a hunting rifle I opted for the shorter model.
bought it through a local dealer, that has a SILENCER CO. kiosk machine. I would suggest finding a dealer that has that machine, order it directly from SILENCER CO. Then go to that dealer, the kiosk will do everything you need to do, finger prints and apply for the tax stamp etc. Also definitely set up the trust, you can add people that you trust that would be allowed to use that suppressor.

Im on NV, the new CA.
Both the crux and the thunder beats claim too have no poi change!
I would love to hear from someone who has tested that. I dont sell them much as I get much better deals with other brands, larger brands do a lot of buy 2 get 1 free stuff. It helps lower prices.

I bought a DEAD AIR SANDMAN K. It can handle up to 300 win mag, it uses a muzzle break adapter to attach the suppressor. you can buy more muzzle break adapters, install them on multiple rifles. Then the suppressor is a quick disconnect, it ratchets down tight on those adapters. This is my first suppressor, very short and light can. you can shoot a high power without hearing protection, but it still has a pretty good bark. They also have the S and L model which have more length and baffles, which should suppress the sound even more, but for a hunting rifle I opted for the shorter model.
bought it through a local dealer, that has a SILENCER CO. kiosk machine. I would suggest finding a dealer that has that machine, order it directly from SILENCER CO. Then go to that dealer, the kiosk will do everything you need to do, finger prints and apply for the tax stamp etc. Also definitely set up the trust, you can add people that you trust that would be allowed to use that suppressor.
I'm sure you can't order from silencerco directly If you did it would cost much more as the dealer will add his cut to it. around 100.00 is what most charge for transfers. Support the local dealers , without them you dont have anyone to ship or buy from.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts