If the Yosemite National Park weather gods serve you lemons

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
If the Yosemite National Park weather- gods serve you lemons (had to cancel that backpack trip because the snow is still too deep up at 10K feet) - - then go to the Tetons instead & make some delicious lemonade.

Spent last night 5 miles backpacked in
just past Leigh Lake (picture) in Tetons.

40 mile bike ride along Tetons today.

Attachments

• LRG_SON01884.JPG
    LRG_SON01884.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 19
If the Yosemite National Park weather- gods serve you lemons (had to cancel that backpack trip because the snow is still too deep up at 10K feet) - - then go to the Tetons instead & make some delicious lemonade.

Spent last night 5 miles backpacked in
just past Leigh Lake (picture) in Tetons.

40 mile bike ride along Tetons today.

Did you try to go in through Paradise Valley?

Fred, no but snow on the trails is at impractical depths.

Last time I went in when there was still snow on the trails I was in my 20s. Bodybuilding and running for training.

I think I'm too old now to do one of my bucket list items. Start at Yosemite come out at Mammoth Lakes.

There are things higher on the bucket list right now.

Here's what happened last week to some other Yosemite hikers that tried the same trails while they were snow covered.

This is almost the exact backpack route that I had reserved. My dates were 10 days before these guys hiked there and had serious trouble.

I had already changed my route plans quite a while ago when I realized the snow would still be too deep.

A dangerous, snowy journey: Seven hikers get lost in Yosemite | Sierra Star

On July 1, about an hour before sunset, a wilderness law enforcement ranger on a routine backcountry patrol encountered three separate parties, seven hikers total, all lost while facing oncoming darkness. They were in the Sunrise Pass area south of Tioga Road, in the general area of Tuolumne Meadows.

Although Tioga Road opened just two days before, many high country trails, including trail signs, remain covered in snow. All three parties discovered how challenging route finding is on snow buried trails and lost their way going to Clouds Rest and back. This trail is misconceived as an easier route, and some of the hikers had even done this trail before.

While lost, one party found another trail which they could not identify, and it didn't lead to where they needed to go.

Through route finding efforts and cross-country travel, the ranger successfully lead the hikers to their destination, arriving at 11 p.m. By this time, one hiker was suffering from altitude sickness and another was asthmatic.

Although the trip occurred after darkness, only two of the hikers had headlamps and the ranger had to loan out his spares.

It was fortunate that a ranger in a vast backcountry happened across three lost parties. He was not looking for anyone specifically nor were there any reports of missing hikers as cell service is unpredictable in this area. Otherwise, searches would not have started at least until the following day, and this would have required numerous resources, at least one miserable night outside, and an outcome that could not be guaranteed. "

--

I use to wonder why we would wait until late July or early August to hike back into the Bridger wilderness. There were snow fields then but it was reasonable to navigate the trails. That was 40 years ago. Good memories.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.