I Need help on first long range rifle purchase please

Elkwonder

Ok, I guess I should start by admitting that I am kinda all over the place here. I have done a little playing around over the years out to six hundred yards, but have never really bought a true long range gun that was properly outfitted for such work. So after shooting an antelope right at 600 last year with my 270wsm, I am now hooked and looking to get a more properly outfitted setup. I had my mind made up that I was going to go with the Sako A7 fluted 7mag, and a Razor 5-20x50.
I am recoil sensitive and was planning on having a muzzle brake installed and then shooting the 168 vld's. However, after more consideration, I am also liking the looks of the Cooper 52 exclalibur chambered in 280AI.
I bought the Razor, and think it is definitely the scope I want to go with, but am a little unsure of what gun and caliber. I Also own a Sako greywolf chambered in 270wsm, but I know the BC on the 27cal isn't as good as if I go down to a 6.5 like the 6.5x55 or such. Its also not as good of BC as the 7mm, hence why I am considering the 280AI.
Here is what I am looking to do with the rifle when all is said and done. I would like to play out to around a thousand yards or so pretty regular, but only need a round adequate to kill elk out to about 600, which will probably be my max comfort zone on game.
So which gun would you go with for this situation? BTW I will be hand loading

Sako greywolf 270wsm ( I already own it ) The only thing I don't like about this gun it the BC isn't that great, and the barrel isn't fluted. Also a larger contour would look better and probably work better for using a muzzle brake.

Sako A7 7mag fluted (I already own it, but its still new in the box and Im now second guessing the A7 and its plastic magazine as well as the belted mag case)

Sako stainless hunter in 6.5x55 (love the looks of this rifle) Don't own it, but would sell the A7 and buy this one.

Cooper 52 excalibur in 280AI that I may or may not put a muzzle break on (Once again I would just sell the A7 to help fund this one) leaning more this route probably!

Thoughts????

Last edited:
It all depends on your budget and your own personal taste.

A Sendero in 300wm would be your shortest route to happiness on a budget. Just swap out the trigger, float it, bed it and find a load it likes.

The same rifle in a 7mm Rem mag is adequate but not quite as ideal as the 300wm.

Next would be the Weatherby Accumark in 7mm STW, but that's tougher to come by and more expensive.

If you can put it where it belongs even a .260 Rem would meet your needs and be very reasonable to shoot in volume and for that matter so too would the .308win in a 5R Rem tactical or police with the same recommended accurizing as suggested above.

If you want something out of the box you won't have to do any tinkering with at all then if the budget allows look at a complete custom or semi custom if you have an existing action to use as a donor.

For muzzle brakes look at the Northwest Precision MB. Easy n the wallet, easy on the ears, and and incredibly effective at reducing both felt recoil and muzzle flip. I have them on Seven rifles now from .264wm all the way up to 300 Rum and 375 Ruger and it tames them all to the point of being far too enjoyable to shoot.

^^^^ I have to agree with the above, in every way. 300 Win Mag in a Sendero. If you have a little more in your budget then get a custom job to your liking. GA Precision is good and priced very fair. The 260 Remington is an amazing round and 1K is no problem for paper but maybe a little anemic for animals. A Grizzly Gun Works brake will tame the 300 Win Mag down to a friendly shooter. 80 Rounds in a competition is no problem at all.

I just notice that the cooper 52 excalibur can also be had in the 6.5-06. That gun in that caliber looks very interesting as well.

the only thing I don't like about the sendero is the weight. One of those with that razor would have a combined weight of about forty pounds...lol

the only thing I don't like about the sendero is the weight. One of those with that razor would have a combined weight of about forty pounds...lol
Closer to 11lbs. It's an 8.5lbs rifle as it comes from the factory.

If you are going to shoot to a thousand yards you don't want a 7lbs rifle. Heavier is steadier, steadier is more accurate, more accuracy lends itself to greater precision.

You won't see any 7lbs rifles winning thousand yard matches.

If you want a faster 6.5 than the .260 or Creedmore, skip the 6.5-06 and go with the 6.5-284.

I'm with Wildrose, if your going to go belted skip the 7 and go .300 wm with a break. If you don't want the belt I would go 300 wsm. That's just me I like the 30s over the 7mm..

Weight on the sendero isn't a problem. My 13 year old son Zayne carried my 7 rum sendero through the mountains for half of last week.

"Do a custom search on the top right hand corner on the 165/175 Matrix VLDs in particular Rhian's (Bigngreen) posts on .270 WSM. They are no slouch!"

Rhian convinced me to try the 165 matrix. What a hammer!! Zayne shot it in Wyoming this year for goats. The bullet worked unbelievable. Once he was done killing his goats, he took his 270 wsm to the range and smoked the 1k gong. You already have the gun, load it up right and start killin!!

a Remington sendero with a 1 " leup 6.5-20X 40 is a very light combination. you can find that scope for around 500$.

guys thanks for the help, but as to the scope I already have a brand new Razor 5-20 setting in the box. As far as the sender, I like it, but would like to deal with a non-belted case.
I have had nobody comment on the Cooper, is the Cooper not a very liked gun around here? The only reason I ask, is because the Cooper comes in some GREAT calibers where as the Sendero is very limited, and I have never read anything bad about the Cooper accuracy, and every now and then it seems someone contemplates driving into a bridge pillar while trying to get their new Sendero to shoot the way THEY think it should.
Thanks for the info.....btw, the 280AI is looking very nice about right now.

You want to shoot 1K, kill elk at 600 or so , ease of loading without the belted case , inherently accurate case , can send 180's at 3k fps . Also better barrel life than a 7stw

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts