I just cant eat this.

kc

I don't know if its me or what, I just cant eat wild Geese. am I missing something?
I slow cooked the breast meat like my friends told me and I just had to step back.

I always find with Goose that you it's best to marinate it in milk for a while before you cook it. Also you treat Goose breast like you would a very lean cut of meat. In other words...rare and quickly cooked either on a grill or stir fry with veggies. We use goose breast whenever a recipe calls for round steak.

If you over cook it you have no flavor left. There's simply no fat in the meat to hold flavor so you need what little juice is in there to seal the flavor and that means rare.

It's worth it to figure it out because it truly is very tasty and nutritious when cooked correctly.

NHGriff hit the nail on the head - do not over cook.

We like to marinade the breasts in teryaki sauce, a little brown sugar and spices - garlic powder, onion powder or what ever you like. We then slice oranges and apples - slice them so they are round and about 1/8 to 1/4 thick. Put a slice of apple on one side and orange on the other - use toothpicks to hold them to the breast. Wrap the open edge with bacon - also use toothpicks to hold on. Place on grill turn after a couple of minutes. Cook until the juices just start to turn clear. Be careful not to overcook.

I for one am very glad that there are poeple like NHGriff, and MN Hunter, in the world who were born without tastebudds.
Folks like these alow folks like me to harvest geese and have another use for the meat other than stinky rotton catfish bait, or coyote bait.:D

Im just playion guys. I cant eat or even smell, cooked waterfowl without wanting to gagg. Ive had it prepared every way from Sunday, and the only way Ill eat it is if its ground and smoked in jerky, and the flavor is completely drowned out. even then its only in moderation.
I have a few friends who like waterfowl tho, and this s a great thing for me. I love to bird hunt, and having friends who will eat it alows me to keep hunting with a clear concience. ALL my waterfowl is given away.
Some folks like it, some folks dont, and theres not much in the way of middle ground. So thank your buddys who do like it, so you can keep hunting.

I process 100-200 geese every year. If jerky is not to your liking I'll pass on another option that we use the bulk of our birds for. We mix up to 1/2 goose with either antelope, deer, or elk and grind them together. We use this for making breakfast saucage, brats, italian sausage, salami etc. When my wife can't taste the goose in something then it is a pretty safe bet no one else will either. We have an advantage in that I have all the grinders, stuffers, smoker etc. to do this ourselves but I will tell you it is an easy way to use up a lot of lbs. of goose meat. Goose meat is very dry by nature so after many trys we have learned to compensate by adding extra beef suet to what we would normally use in just straight antelope, deer, elk etc. - especially in the salami.

Winmag

No offense taken.

Mind you I would much rather have a good elk steak than goose any day. However you take what you get.

The funny thing is we use that recipe for both ducks and geese. When my kids were little they called it duck on a stick. They always wanted it for their birthday party and would be upset if they couldnt have it. Go figure - only in Minne-so-ta:D

Here's a receipe for you to try:
Place goose breast in terakie sauce marinade.
Open a one liter bottle of Jack Daniels - pour over ice - consume entire contents of bottle.
Most often at this point you will not care what you eat.

Have a good one.

Winmag

You developed an aversion to waterfowl probably due to some of your "friends" starting you off on coot or mergansers!:D

Now everything tastes like coot and just the thought brings back "fond memories"

Go ahead and admit it!

BH

IMO, goose is like shad.
There are 21 steps to properly preparing shad, and the last one is to throw it in the garbage :)

edge.

YA.
But I opened the can of worms on my own, so they'll all come gunnin for me instead of pickin on you:D
But ya its not fit for human consumption:D
Like I said, Im glad I have friends who enjoy it. Ill keep ploppin em and giving em away as long as they keep takin' em.

Ive been wondering how come I cant find any friends who love to elk hunt but need to find a friend to give the meat to.........huh........ guess elk meat is, well,.....actually good:D

Oh, and contrary to the post, Ive never eaten Merganser, or Coot, or Goldeneye, or any of the rest of those fishy, mudsuckin ducks that I know of. But then again if I could find an elk hunter to slip rancid elk to so I could ''be the nice guy, and take all his future meat off his hands so he could keep huntin, and not waste it....'' Id do it in a heartbeat! So maybe somebody started me out with rotten fowl so I would give them all mine in the future, who knows, hahahaha

I thought the greater Canada geese I used to shoot off the farm fields in Michigan tasted good. The big ones would go around 12 lbs if I recall correctly. They tasted a lot better than mallards or any other duck. They also tasted much better than the lesser Canada geese in Alaska that are feeding on wild vegetation.

The ate a lot of corn and winter wheat where I hunted them in Michigan around a National Wildlife refuges. They'd come out of the refuge to feed on the surrounding farmlands in the mornings. I think that made a big difference in their flavor and edibility.

For the most part, I have to vote with Winman. I have friends that can make it marginally edible after a week of marinade and various "21 step" processes. Seems like all good waterfowl receipes revolve around making it taste like something else.......too much work for me.

On the odd year that I draw a good permit for our local state area, I have no problem giving them away.........:D

all the previous posts have good recommendations, mine's pretty simple...gut them as soon as you retrieve them and get them cooled right away. Hard to do when its hot & heavy with geese but If you get your crew working togeather it goes quick. Cabellas has a butt-oot tool for waterfowl in their catalog that works awesome.
cheers

I was with winmag in terms of geese unless made into some kind of sausage, etc. Tried 'em many different ways, but not to my liking. 'til a friend told me last year to take the breasts, wrap bacon around them and bake them in the oven in an oven bag. Tastes just like beef roast, he said. Yeah, right, I thought. So I put this whole, skinned 14lb goose (it was a BIG goose i got on the second to last day of the season) in a baking bag and used toothpicks to hold bacon all over it and put some apples, etc. in the body cavity. I ABSOLUTELY could not believe it. Tasted like beef roast...no kidding. It was some of the tastiest game meat I've ever had, although my father-in-law's stone sheep was pretty good as I recall. I've been turning geese into pepperoni, sausage, etc., but I'm gonna a save a few breasts for the bacon baking bag now. Try it...:)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.