I Continue to be Amazed with the 215 Hybrid

This is my first kill with the 215 bergers out of a 308 win trying to see how far you can effectively push the old 308 during load work I pushed the 215 bergrrs to 1500 yards and still maintained moa on paper with a 5 shot group measuring 13.87 inches center to center I am absolutely amazed with these bullets this is a pix of a coyote I shot yesterday at 1107 with the bullet leaving the barrel at 2475

That is outstanding shooting!! Way to go!

Wow, a 308 win to 1500 yards with under 1 moa accuracy. How cool is that!!

What twist is your tube?

Jeff

i have a 22.85'' shillen sellect match grade in 1-10 twist about to re barrel it for a little longer shillen it is on order ill be moving to the 26'' range hope to get a little more juice out of her but i am plenty pleased with that that i have accomplished most people tell me im crazy, i just say i like to do the near impossible but i tell u i have shot the 208 amax to 1500 and not got the results that i have gotten with the 215 berger hybrids i beileive my best group with the 208s was right around 22'' which in my opinion isnt horrible for a 308 at 1500 but i plan on trying the 230 hybrids and see if i can shrink to around 3/4 moa or better most of my deviation is wind my extreme spreads in velocity are low around 8 fps in a 5 round string hope to post more results the next time im out

308win you hold some valuable info here I would like to have. On that coyote at 1107 yards it appears you got an exit with some obvious good expansion from the 215 Berger Hybrid. Would you tell us what was the velocity of the bullet on impact and how large the exit hole was?

Thanks
Jeff

Hey jeff according to applied ballistics calculator thayne used for my dope which was dead nuts it says that the bullet was traveling at 1322 fps on impact the exit hole was about 4" rounded on the outside however I did feild dress this yote to see the internal effects and I have to say everything and I mean everything that was left inside that chest cavity was soup there were smaller exit wounds around the main exit wound possibly caused by bone or small frag from the projectile

Hey jeff according to applied ballistics calculator thayne used for my dope which was dead nuts it says that the bullet was traveling at 1322 fps on impact the exit hole was about 4" rounded on the outside however I did feild dress this yote to see the internal effects and I have to say everything and I mean everything that was left inside that chest cavity was soup there were smaller exit wounds around the main exit wound possibly caused by bone or small frag from the projectile

That is good to know. Expansion as low as 1322 fps on something as soft as a yote. I guess that will get me past 1600 yards with my 300 win. I doubt I will be using this rifle for game that far. But it is nice to know it will expand and destroy vitals as well at long range as they do up close.

Hey, if you like feel free to post your field results in my thread about them here too. This is great information that should be included in that thread too.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/cmparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Thanks!
Jeff

That is some very impressive shooting by both of you, great job.

Jeff, 308winlongrange,
That coyote kill at 1107 yards got my wheels turning, i am thinking of turning my 7mm-08 into a 338 federal so i can test the heavy 280-300 grain bullets at very low velocity into game, (like antelope or coyotes first) while still maintaining the RPM of say a 338 Lapua at full power loads with the same bullets, unlike using reduced loads which dont give comparable RPM's. If that makes sense. My 7mm-08 is a marlin but it has a barrel nut similar to a savage so i think i can buy a prefit barrel and install it myself. Dont mean to hijack this thread but i would like to hear your guys's thoughts on it first.

That is some very impressive shooting by both of you, great job.

Jeff, 308winlongrange,
That coyote kill at 1107 yards got my wheels turning, i am thinking of turning my 7mm-08 into a 338 federal so i can test the heavy 280-300 grain bullets at very low velocity into game, (like antelope or coyotes first) while still maintaining the RPM of say a 338 Lapua at full power loads with the same bullets, unlike using reduced loads which dont give comparable RPM's. If that makes sense. My 7mm-08 is a marlin but it has a barrel nut similar to a savage so i think i can buy a prefit barrel and install it myself. Dont mean to hijack this thread but i would like to hear your guys's thoughts on it first.

Thanks Riley, That is some good thinking there. Not sure about the barrel thing, better let a real gun smith answer that. But if it were me I would just shoot them long range from your 338 Lapua into what ever you feel is good test media. Maybe have to make a little bigger target, but hey if we can't hit it at long range, I guess we don't need to know what their terminal performance is that far away anyway. I think these results will be closer to real world for you.

Jeff

This summer i will get a bunch of wet newspapers and set them out at 1100 yards, that is the distance it falls around 1500 fps depending on conditions. I will bring some cardboard to get me close enough. :rolleyes: And it would be much cheaper.

This summer i will get a bunch of wet newspapers and set them out at 1100 yards, that is the distance it falls around 1500 fps depending on conditions. I will bring some cardboard to get me close enough. :rolleyes: And it would be much cheaper.

Good plan. Plus the practice is free and a lot of fun.

Jeff

Great reads! What about the Berger 215 Hybrid for bison? Would this be too large and heavy of a boned animal to think about taking with this bullet? I too have been amazed at the performance of this bullet on game. I have been fortunate enough to work up a great load in my 300 RUM using this bullet and have been able to take two outstanding KY 11 pointers in back to back years with the one this year scoring 174 2/8ths. The first buck that was taken last year was at 586 yards and the larger one taken this year was taken at 634 yards - both 1 shot DRT. I couldn't be happier with how this bullet has performed on whitetail. I too actually saw a slight increase in muzzle velocity when I changed from the Berger 210 VLD to the 215. The 215 shot so well that I kenw I just had to try it - consistent sub .5 MOA with some .25 MOA groups at my sight-in range of 300 yards.
Any suggestions or opinions on whether this bullet would or would not be ample medicine for bison would be very much appreciated. I don't expect ranges to exceed 300 to 400 yards. Also, if this bullet isn't recommended what 30 caliber bullet would you suggest?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Rangerman, I have never shot a Bison, so I have no personal experience there. I have shot lots of elk and we took several with the 215 this past season. The largest being my bull shown below. I put the 215 Bereger behind the front shoulder in the crease and he took a few steps and was done. We also shot some other bulls and several cows with the 215 Berger and they all were one shot kills. If it were me and I felt that was the rifle and bullet I wanted to use I would try it. But again, I have never taken a Bison. In this thread I show pics of entrances and exits and internal damage from 19 big game kills with the 215 Berger. Maybe you have seen this? If not it may supply the info you are looking for to make your decision.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/cmparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Good luck and have a great hunt.

Jeff

DSC04174Small.jpg

Feeling generous. I know these 215's are a problem to find so If anyone really wants some I will part with some of my stash. just shoot me a PM. Not trying to sale but I feel guilty for hoging so many. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.