Huskemaw 4-16x42 opinions?

Hunting rifle. 300 WSM, weights 7.1 lbs as it sits with a base but no rings or scope. I'm trying for a slightly lighter weight rifle than some of my others and with around 800 yd capabilities.

The calibration turret sounds like it would probably work fine for my needs.

Just get it and start enjoying it, you'll love it. I own Zeiss, Leica and Leupold glass and the Huskemaw holds its own. As a matter of fact, I've sold all my Leupold scopes in favor of the Huskemaw...

Most that I have read not liking Huskemaw are mainly due to perceptions from the TV advertising.
Huskemaw would seem to give the perception that anyone who owns one of their products can just pick it up and start shooting long distance.
If you read Huskemaw's literature though they plainly state it is up to the individual to practice and aqcuire the skills for long range shooting which we all know is the case. (Well all of us with common sense know that anyway.)

Never have I heard them say all one had to do was buy a scope. Some however percieve that is what Huskemaw says in TV adds

In my opinion, most people tend to overlook or fail to see the what The Best of the West series is promoting. They are first and foremost showing you that with a properly developed ballistics data, when combined with a solid foundation (rifle) it is possible to make consistently accurate, long range shots.

I keep hearing complaints about how misleading their show is and it's simply not so. Each episode stresses that a successful, ethical kill is the culmination of good data, a good setup, understanding and the ability to adust for environmental variables. Last but not least, practice, practice, PRACTICE...

Cannot tell you how many golf club commercials I've seen that imply their club will instantly turn you into a better golfer, lol!

I know this system works as I've used it in various conditions from sea level @ 80°F, to 10,000ft. @ 30°. using the same turret

Here's a video showing some long range shooting.
3 shots back to back, using the windage marks to adjust for wind. Steel plate is 15"x15" at 1000 yards. Last two shots were within 3/8" of each other.

Last edited:
I tested both of mine when I first got them. Both were accurate at exactly .33 per click through 30 MOA elevation. Repeatability was perfect. That was about 5 seasons ago. They continue to perform superbly with a half a dozen animals taken this season between 500 and 1200 yards.

I would like to see someone do a real bonafide tracking test on the huskeys,

I have done it on several Huskemaw scopes.

I killed my big mule deer with a 4-16x42 last September.

I own the Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20x50 and it has been a great scope for me. After developing a load and having my turret made, I went long range shooting for the first time and recorded a 5.5" 3-shot group at 1000 yards. Good clarity and brightness, turret clicks are precise, tactile and repeatable.
Just finished mounting the Huskemaw 4.5-16x on my Sako 25-06.
Quality seems to be identical between the two. I do think the reticle lines on the 4.5-16 are a touch finer than the 5-20 as well as the addition of a pair of elevation drop marks. Windage marks are closer together too iirc.
Haven't shot the gun yet so I can't comment on performance at this time.
If anything, I question if I should have purchased another 20x. I'm used to the magnification now and I think the reticle thickness on it is perfect..

I liked it quite a bit. I sold the rifle it was on and ended up selling it to a buddy for a lightweight 280 ai he had built. It tracked (and still does, he has been using the rifle pretty heavily this year) perfect. RTZ was always good with it.

The glass was plenty adequate, I mean it's not a ATACR or a X5 glass wise but it gets the job done.

My only real gripe was the zero stop. It functions ok but pretty much every other manufacture has a better design.

Still in its weight glass it's one of the only scopes I would truly trust.

I have done it on several Huskemaw scopes.

I killed my big mule deer with a 4-16x42 last September.

Sir,

I have a 280ai that is my do all and had a vortex LH 4-15x42 on it. Wanted a touch more magnification for deer say at beyond 600 and probably max of 800 due to the rifle. I shoot 145 HHs to 3180 and 162-168s around 3000fps. I picked up a NF NXS 5-22x50 and while a good idea at the time had no ide they would feel this bulky or heavy. Turned my scope 8 lb pack gun into over 9 so looking at selling or trading and going a different route. Leaning toward the husky maybe even the 4-16x42 but not sure if that one extra of magnification will help or should go 5-20x50. I hear great tracking some say glass isn't great so figured I would ask someone's advice that actually shoots them. Thank you for your time and help.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts